Fawns

Author
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2017/05/12 07:53:01 (permalink)

Fawns

Yesterday I was planting some Hybrid Chestnuts and Apple Trees and had an experience with a pair of fawns. I took Andy my
1 1/2 year old lab mix with me and let him run in the field. He kept going into an area with Honnysuckle (that I hadn't killed yet) and I would call him back. Well I knew he was overly interested in something so I went over to investigate. I walked right up on a Fawn that I at first thought 'oh no Andy had killed it'. I should have known better but I bent over and lifted its tucked in head in the palm of my hand and it is looking at me. Andy never found that Fawn. I could not believe it, as he has a great nose and was working that area for half hour. He had 26 Pheasants shot over him last fall. Well I regretted touching it and backed off then I saw the depression in the grass where Momma had been laying. Although I never saw her run off and that was probably what Andy was worrying over. While walking away I spotted a second Fawn curled up. Well I packed things up and headed out hopping my scent on the ones chin doesn't bother mom. My hands were coated with dirt and mud which should help. 
  I half didn't believe in the- fawns have no smell fact. I do now!
  That was only the third time I have come up on Fawns that were hiding and would not move. Once we ran a dozer within 5 feet of one that never moved for half hour. I saw it when we were leaving. How old till they will run? I have had many of them scare the daylight out of me as they spring up at my feet.  
post edited by treesparrow - 2017/05/12 07:59:40

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: