Arthur

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
PaYakr
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Arthur 2017/09/18 09:46:44 (permalink)
Yep. Out last night and seeing the same at McDaniels. Not sure why I even bothered with the air temps as high as they were. Also saw a lot of readings just a couple feet off the bottom but in areas with a lot of boat traffic. Not someplace I want to hang out in a 10 foot kayak. Ended up hooking a decent sized channel before the mosquitoes ran me off the lake. Not sure I'm going to bother going up again this year and will probably stick to Yellowcreek the rest of the season.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Arthur 2017/09/18 12:12:58 (permalink)
The drifting for eyes wasn't all too productive for us.  Had a few takes, but no hook ups midday.  Probably not walleye, but who knows.  One seemed like a wiper, with how hard the strike was.  After a while, we decided to have fun with the panfish.  Had a few large mouth decide to join in the fun, with mostly gills and a small crappie.  Was hoping for the wiper show ad dusk, but wasn't what I was hoping.  We started to pull off of the lake while it was still a little light, but my fishing partner said, why not just stick around another 15 minutes.  So glad he did.  Alewives started going nuts, mostly just single jumpers, but also a few schools skimming by.  Hooked up with two short wipers and one 22"er.  Missed a few other takes.  For being out all day, it wasn't the best, but the last half hour was worth it.  Skeeters were a complete pain in the rear, that we decided to call it a night.  Would definitely suggest taking some deet if out past dusk.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Arthur 2017/09/18 12:37:44 (permalink)
Fishin' sucked for me last evening.  Even struggled to catch a couple gills to cut up for cat bait.  

Skeeters were so bad that I couldn't even say, "It was just nice to be out," despite being covered in bug spray that's usually pretty effective there.    

PaYakr
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Arthur 2017/09/18 13:06:12 (permalink)
I always take bug spray but never had it be as ineffective as it was last night. May as well have been icing. Last night was the first time skeeters ever drove me away.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Arthur 2017/09/18 14:56:44 (permalink)
Being only my 2nd time on the lake, I have never seen that Nautical Nature tour boat before. That dang pontoon has some serious horsepower hanging off the back.
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Arthur 2017/10/18 08:06:31 (permalink)
What's been happening up at Arthur?  Just got back from fishing OBX and want to get a trip or two in before the long cold dark that lay ahead.

Was planning on doing a little trolling for walleye and maybe a wiper or two.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Arthur 2017/10/18 09:54:39 (permalink)
Best day of the year was last Saturday.  No wind, no rain, nice temps... and I was at home in my driveway working on my stupid trailer.  Because I couldn't get a fishing buddy and because two of my rollers are shredded.  SIGH.  

Trying to get out there Saturday.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/18 10:32:32 (permalink)
Things should be pretty fishy soon.  Will be out myself too.  Likely the day before, or after I go, will be the day to target of course...  This cold front that pushed through should have them into fall patterns, if they weren't already there in the Indian Summer we were having.  Take a few days for them to acclimate to the cooler waters, and things should be good to go for the next few months until ice forms.  Just like clockwork, find a few good steelhead reports, and Arthur is ready to go.  Likely said with all fisheries in the area.  That said, I have no idea what the fall pattern is for the eyes...  I can usually fool their smaller vertical striped cousins into my fish fryer, pretty regularly at this time of the year.  Chasing the marble eyes has never worked out well for me.  I'll give it a go for a little, but usually doesn't amount to much for me.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Arthur 2017/10/18 12:04:06 (permalink)
What's the twenty on the Indian Summer..... kick-r-back?

Sam sorry about your luck buddy. Maybe make it down your way after next week and at least enjoy the leaves while botor moating around the lake.

Might even try some fishing too.

I'll be staying for a while so I'll bring some peanutbutter baloney and cheese sammidges. What..... wait😧, I'm thinking there should be a comma somewhere, in that last sentence.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/18 12:07:04

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 13:22:33 (permalink)
 Fished her a couple ov weeks ago for a couple hrs. A large variety of species from small too big in sz. Hope to give her another shot  tomorrow from boat or boot.

crappy

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 13:41:42 (permalink)
2017 fast coming to a close for us working folk.  2 or 3 viable weekends left to hope for a decent day.  Friday this week looks nice for temp and rain but double digit wind.  Sunday low 40s.  Cross this weekend off for me.  Going to focus on dropping my big motor.  Good luck out there Crappie.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 13:47:44 (permalink)
I was out on Friday Chris.  Fish were being really chewy, and not wanting to commit.  Were able to get a few here and there.  For most of the day, the wind was low, so you could see the light hits, and able to get a few before they spit it back out.  Then, like what always seems to be the case at this time of the year, a switch goes off.  Every cast a hit and usually hold long enough to get them in.  In the evening, schools of baby gizzard shad skimming the surface (assume alewives too, but were able to net some gizzards).  Got one 15"ish wiper to cooperate on the netted bait.  I think if you have a full day to commit, you are going to catch fish.  If only a few hours, and out during switch on time, you are going to have fun.  If switch off time, it can be frustrating, especially if windy and can't see the small taps.  Hope you crush them.  Should be out again this weekend.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 13:55:57 (permalink)
 Thanks,
Don't know if I'll catch crawlers tonight, set Chub/Sucker traps, scoop a bucket ov Fatheads out ov the yard or just use artificals. Should be a couple good days coming up. Found a few promising spots in the boonies at Pymy. want to try also.

Good Luck,
  crappy

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 13:59:51 (permalink)
Tim,
Thats how it was at Pymy last week after the cold front. Nice to just get away from the house ov horrors for a bit.
   Pymy's Perch & Crappie are no comparrison in avg. sz. (large) compared to Arthur & going to target the rest of times out up there. Arthur has the Pike & Byrds feeding heavy which make up the diff. this time of yr.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/10/25 14:36:10
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 15:05:58 (permalink)
Are you throwing live or lures at the byrds?  Every time that I target them at this time of year, I come up empty.  

I'm not too upset with 9"-12" perch.  Most closer to 9" though.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/25 15:45:58 (permalink)
Last yr. 'bout this time ov yr. was fishin' for Perch with Fatheads and got into 'em. lucky I had a little heavier outfit in the car. A few weeks ago after Perch with Fatheads & this time was ready with a box ov my fav. lures for 'em. (Hybyrds) Fun to say the least.

Almost hate killin' the Perch for the amount ov flesh u get. Pmy's panfish make Arthur's look like midgets 
Jvavro
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Arthur 2017/10/29 04:28:02 (permalink)
Wow, haven't been here in quite awhile. Still recognize a few of you boys (Crappie and Porktown). Haven't even been to the lake since late spring. Sorta had a falling out with one of my favorite spots for bucketmouths cause they stopped biting everything I was throwing. 3 boys with multiple activities has cut into my fishing time as well so I've been sticking to local farm ponds and the tiny reservoir closer to home. Been doing really well and catching some nice bass at these places this fall. Started hot with the old tried and true senko but the big boys have been crushing the crankbaits. I'm gonna have to hit the lake again soon though once this weather breaks. It really is a great place to fish and I miss it! Take care and "Fish On" to all.

Jvavro
Formerly SteelysManfish
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/10/30 15:37:18 (permalink)
Hey Jvavro,
Great to hear from one of the personalities from the past.  Like you, the kids have my fishing at a minimum, so have to go when I can (was out on Saturday during a cold front pushing through).  The catching wasn't worth the effort, but oh well.  This time of the year, those bass can be thick in areas.  I usually don't target them, but if they are where I am trying to panfish, I have no issues catching them until they stop biting!  Hope you hit the lake and stop by the forums more often.

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to: