old men vs. old Deer

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2017/01/12 22:20:23 (permalink)

old men vs. old Deer

I am trying to recuperate from helping my  Bud drag a very large Swamp Donkey that he got with the .50 cal. T/C flint to-day. Now I understand why there are fewer old guys in the woods. Seriously,it was pitiful watching 2 72 yr. old gimps trying to drag, then lift a deer of that size into the vehicle. The wet mud & leaves were piling up in front of the deer as we went, of course I left my nylon deer drag at home. Both of our sons were at work & we wanted to take care of the deer. I think that I will wait for them if there is a next time. Or maybe I will give e-man a call.  lol  sam

17 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/12 23:25:53 (permalink)
    I carry a hatchet and a saw in case they gotta get cut in half.
    Even half can be a chore sometimes.
    Better than having somebody throw dirt on ya.
    mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/12 23:36:35 (permalink)
    At 65 I let my neighbor go do the hard work , but I have to say he doesn't mine especially with the second season bow hunting ... he just calls me and tells me when my bologna, hot sticks & burger is done and ready to pick up .... now that is a great neighbor 😜🍺.... of course I try to keep him in walleye so a win ... win thing .... lol

STEVE.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/12 23:41:55 (permalink)
    Boy do I remember the good old days of going through the woods and over the field looking for deer I would bring backout.

Now I go through the woods and over field looking for; from which I can get back out and the stupid deer, can walk out on their own.

Congratulations Sam to both you and your buddy. May the memories of the hunt bring happy conversation for many years to come.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 00:06:21 (permalink)
    Hey Sam I would of been there! Lol
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 02:43:33 (permalink)
    Well I give them credit,there still doing it. At 64 I'm not what I use to be but I got two out of 3 back to my truck. The Ohio buck was 5 weeks after I had open heart surgery,so I let my son handle that one. Sam I hope you make it to 72 and still are doing it. My dad always said your going to get old someday if your lucky. In my days I've help more than a few older gents get a deer out,and they always seemed to really appreciate it. Good deeds will always come back on you.Hope you learn something from it,maybe someday if you make it some young buck will help you get your deer out.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2017/01/13 02:44:41
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 07:10:32 (permalink)
    Some of those folding deer carts work wonders.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 07:56:37 (permalink)
    I definitely don't hunt some of the areas I used to just cause I know I would be in there forever trying to get a deer out. I did buy a deer cart for archery season when I pretty much hunt by myself, but deer carts don't work too well in some terrains.

There is no doubt our average hunter population is on the old side and that does not bode well for hunter numbers and participation in the future.

When I see some folks out there in there 60's, 70's, and even 80's hunting by themselves I give them a lot of credit. I offer my services whenever I can. I hope the shoe is on the other foot one day when, lord willing, I am still able to be out there in my golden years and a young buck like Eman89 happens by when I shoot a deer.

Congrats to you and your buddy, Crappie!

My rifle is a black rifle
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 11:06:51 (permalink)
    Sitting in my favorite deer stand enjoying coffee and some good reading. How interesting, the comments posted on this thread. Old friends still able to enjoy the hunt togeather and young friends, willing to assure old friends can enjoy the hunt.

Of special interest, during a hunt with my neighbor this past Tuesday I came across a detachable coat hood. Laying on the ground, beside the hood, was a license holder having inside, a computer generated slip giving permission to hunt the grounds and of course, a hunting license.

A search for a phone number was fruitless and knowing the owner would likely miss the remainder of the season if the items were mailed, it was decided to contact the property owner who likely knows this hunter.

So how does this story fit in with this thread?

Well I think it was the D.O.B. on the license.

PS. Address is a zip code 20 miles to my south and if needed, the items would have been hand delivered. No time like the present, to make a new friend.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 13:14:53 (permalink)
    Must be two Pennsylvanias, huh? Last deer I shot I was definitely struggling to get out of the woods. Out of breath and feeling sick at my stomach I heard an ATV approaching so I stopped. Young hunter, 20 or so, showed up admired the dead deer even said as much. Seeing I had caught my breath and the quad was riding off I started dragging again.
            Following years is when heart started acting up.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/13 13:32:32 (permalink)
    dpms, I agree about the deer carts being good in some places,but I use a roll up deer sled if I am by myself,it really works well in the woods. It is usually like dragging a deer on ice,whereas when we use a cart in the woods it usually involves a lot of lifting & twisting.  btw I was a hunter safety instructed for a lot of years & I used to always tell the youngsters to help any old guys that you see in the woods because one of them might be me.  lol  It was funnier then than now.  sam
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 08:20:16 (permalink)
     Couple of years ago while Grouse hunting Two doe came ripping by me. One of the doe I believe caught its leg while making a long jump through the clearcut we were both in. Well it caused it to corkscrew through the air and it landed on its back on a stump. Its back was broken and it all happened 30 ft. from me. Well that year I didn't get a deer and was needing venison so my buddy and I called the Game Com. figuring I could get a tag for keeping it. I told them they would have to shoot it.
      When one warden, one deputy, and one want to be deputy arrived and we went to the deer it was dead. As we never got closer to the deer than the 30 ft. what happened was easily read in the snow. I gutted the deer with Game com. gut gloves and for the most part the deputies dragged it out for me. Neither my buddy or myself had a camera to have a picture of the wardens dragging my deer out. I was given the deer. That was a nice day for all but the deer, and a pleasant experience with some wardens for me.
      I use a cart, and think they are well worth it. Head for trails with them and stay out of the brush.
    post edited by treesparrow - 2017/01/14 08:27:09
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 08:23:59 (permalink)
    mr.crappie, I bought one of those this year after a 3 hour drag through mud and leaves during archery.  Watched some youtube vids on it and got one for gun season tho I didn't get a chance to use it...yet.  At 62 I'm done free dragging a deer any more.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 09:07:18 (permalink)
    I used a cart during bear season in Elk county, mainly to haul my camp gear in and out and just in case I got lucky.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 10:08:16 (permalink)
       I use mine at the ocean to haul my fishing tackle. Also at P.I. out the pier to fish Burbot-Ling at night.
       M.C., I have never tried one of the roll up sled they sound useful.
    post edited by treesparrow - 2017/01/14 12:33:19
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 12:19:28 (permalink)
    I started going along deer hunting with my Dad when I was nine. Of course, in those days, one could not actually hunt until age 12, but I went along anyway to learn what I could.

We always went to the same area of Clearfield County. From then until 2015, a span of 45 years, the first day of rifle season found me there.

During my youngin days, I was fairly successful, harvesting a buck before 10 AM on the first day for 32 straight years (killed the first one at age 14 to start the streak). The rest of my day was spent helping others, my family and the oldsters from the hunting camp that was on the property (we were friends, not members) drag their deer out. Even during the one-and-done deer days, I would be there for doe season to drag.

Over the years many at the camp passed on or had to give up hunting. My brother passed away. My father had a medical issue in the deer woods at age 82 which ended his hunting. My wife decided the mountains were too much for her after a leg injury. So I spent the last 10 years there hunting alone.

Over the years, the mile long gas well road went from being gated to open. This really shortened the drag because one could now drive out to a power line and park. From the parking spot, I would take the deer cart down the steep power line for about 1,000 yards and drop it there. The power line was steep enough that when hauling a deer up it on the cart, if you stopped to rest, the wheels had to be chocked or it would start to roll or slide back down.

From the cart drop off, I would continue another 200 yards down a steeper portion of the power line to where an old logging road crossed on the edge of a bench. The road was flat and I would take it for about 150 yards to the middle of a bowl shaped revive. This is where my stand was located.

At first it was several iterations of wood (with the land owner's permission), then it was replaced with a two person ladder stand, which was left there year round.

Most deer were shot 50 - 100 yards on the downhill, of course, side of the stand. This meant dragging that distance just to get back to the stand, then another uphill drag, taking the short cut straight to the cart, of about 200 yards.

The cart is useless in there because of the ground cover of logs, grapevines, uprooted trees, brush, and mountain laurel. Behind my stand, the hill is steep enough to have to grab onto trees in order to prevent the dead weight of the deer from taking away your traction. I guess the reason this spot was so good is that no one else was stupid enough to go there knowing what was to come should one shoot a deer.

One reaching the cart, it was a wheel back up the power line to the vehicle. Then, I needed to load it by myself, which after all that dragging was no easy feat itself. The one rule the land owner had was no ATVs.

The last deer I shot there, in 2014, took me almost four hours from the shot until I was back in my vehicle, covered in sweat and puffing like a steam locomotive. And I still had an hour drive home at that point. It was a good thing I shot it in the morning. I can't imagine getting one late andvtrying to do that drag, especially the woods part, in the dark.

In January of 2015, leg cramps led me to the doctor and it was diagnosed as DVT blood clots. A blood clot was the medical issue my Dad had while deer hunting. It broke free from his knee and lodged in his bronchial arch. This would have killed him right there had he not tripped over a stick and fallen. The fall was hard enough to knock it loose into his lung, which was a problem in and of itself, but not fatal, just a lot of hospital time and rehab.

I made the decision that heading down that power line was no longer in the cards for me due to the drag. In fact, when my father passed away at 91 and I took some of his ashes there (most got buried with Mom, but some also made it to Spring Creek and the Juniata River), they were spread on a deer trail at the top of the power line and not where I really wanted to spread them, at his spot, which he hunted starting the year he returned from WWII, because it was another 300 yards below the logging road I cut off on.

It was tough not going there for the 2015 season, but I was offered an alternative spot, much closer to home that required no dragging.

This season, that spot went away during Thanksgiving week when the owner informed me that relative would hunting there the first week.

Now, I gave a platform on our piece of ground, but I had promised a retired State Trooper, who is in his 70's, that he could hunt there. I was not about to go back on that.

As I contemplated missing the first day for the first time since I was 9, I had the discussion with myself that I could go to the Clearfield County spit and just head out a few hundred yards across the top of the power line without going down over. But the angel on the other shoulder told me that after an hour of not seeing anything, the hunter in me would take over and I would head for the ladder stand and probably impending trouble.

I listened to the voice of reason and remained home, waiting to hear a shot from my oldster friend, so I could help him get his deer out.

Unfortunately, he did not get one.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 13:26:10 (permalink)
    DarDys, I used to hunt areas like you describe,especially in W. Va. We hunted there for approx. 30 yrs & almost always got Bucks. That is when I started using that drag.It was a big pain taking that cart that my son uses back in, or if you left it back at the vehicle then that was another 1 & 1/2 mile trip. Plus I almost always still hunt & you could always carry the sled in your backpack. Most of the deer that I have taken were just drug out the old way, but that is gone now.. Speaking of older hunters reminds me of the time that I was standing in line waiting to buy my license & a woman in her mid. 80's was buying a hunting license & when the clerk reminded her to make sure that her husband signed it she asked why because the license was for her.  lol  I wished her Godspeed & changed my perception on older hunters & fisherpersons. I have enjoyed many successful hunts in 4 different states & my biggest regret is that my son was too young to enjoy the small game hunting that we had in the 1960- 1970. Although I only had a Beagle for a few yrs. we always seen a good bit of game. I know that if kids could experience a Ringneck flushing under their feet or kicking a bush & having a rabbit jump out that those kids wouldn't be as hard to recruit to our ranks.  sam
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: old men vs. old Deer 2017/01/14 16:58:40 (permalink)
    Yes getting older sucks. Hunted WV and NY where I'd walk a mile 1.5 back or more in,even being younger it took 2-4 hours to get a deer out.  That's definitely out of the question now.That's one hell of a run DarDys not bad for and old bird hunter 32 in a row I'm impressed. Very emotional story
    because it touches home with me,saw my Grandfather,uncle,and dad struggle with health issues. I still do ok on deer but really hunt smart and easy now. My best Pa. spot is a 200 yard drag down hill to the road,my best Ohio spot is a 125 yard walk to my ground blind. The Ohio farmer is super nice,he'll get his tractor and get my deer or if the fields dry or frozen let me get as close as I can with my truck . I've pull deer out every way you can think of,carts,quads,mats,ice fishing sleds,and mostly with a harness drag. Getting older does have it's limitations but I'll hunt something thing,when I can't get a deer out by myself or my son is no longer available for the choir,I'll just hunt squirrel.lol  I tried to fill my buck tag today without and luck,had a single deer sneak in behind me and a slight wind change at the wrong time messed that up.I was hunting with my X bow. Oh well still had fun saw 4 squirrel,and a big red tail. I'm heading to Ohio tomorrow if we don't have freezing rain. Think I'll get a squirrel hunt in before the season goes out.Plan on checking some fields for geese also.
    Jump to: