Flintlock season started with a bang.

Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/27 18:01:38 (permalink)

Flintlock season started with a bang.

I didn't hunt yesterday because of the wet weather. But today was a different story. On stand at 6:50 by 9:00.am wished I had a .22 for squirrels but that all changed as large group of does where running at me. At 50 yards the lead tank doe stops,kaboom. After the smoke clears deer are scattered everywhere. Quite a few are in range,I'm fumbling to get another charge out of my bag,I start looking and checking out to see if any are hit. I look at where the deer was standing and see a front leg twitching. My deer was down,she never took a step. I never saw a hunter or heard a shot,but have to thank the 3 teens that where running quads all morning,mentor deer drivers.lol Sometimes you get some weird luck. I'll take it.

28 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/27 18:50:38 (permalink)
    Congrats. Can't wait till Saturday to get out there myself. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/27 19:12:45 (permalink)
    Thanks dpms. I been a tough year with my surgery,but I'm back! This drag got me whipped,she was a trophy doe. Definitely a grinder,burger and sausage.lol
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/27 23:50:40 (permalink)
    Good work BT!  Man, you've had a great season by most standards (I know yours are higher than most), but especially considering your circumstances. 

Didn't make it out today, but would have liked to with the high pressure moving it.

My son and I hunted a green field edge yesterday evening with the x bow.  Thought it would be loaded with deer with the mild temps and south winds, but only 2 does and their skippers came out just before dark.  Set up off of our normal spot for W or NW wind that we hunt for that field.  They came out where they normally do, just didn't make it to us before the light faded.  
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/29 04:00:08 (permalink)
    Way to go BT!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/29 09:57:07 (permalink)
    Congrats. Big Tuna. Your story should be heard by the PGC and appear in their publications. Certainly does serve as a inspiration to hunters and non-hunters alike that may require, surgery similar to yours.

I sat in my tree for just over an hour yesterday enjoying the sounds of two owls while watching ducks and geese returning to the beaver ponds now, completely free of ice.

About 5ish two antlerless deer made their way from my neighbors pasture, from my north, crossing my field and passing 30 yds by my stand.

I watched as they ditzeled around inside the brushy edge of my neighbors wheat field, just under my 20 yd post.

All would be needed is for one to step into the open, giving me a text book shot. Geese were still comming in and between the splash downs, the sounds of owls continued to haunt the woods.

Daylight was fading as I stood on the platform of my ladder stand. Arrow nocked, release firmily attached, ready for the draw.

Then I wondered, should I get a shot, do I chance the deer turning and running into the thick underbrush, along the marshes edge? Will there be enough daylight to trail a wounded deer across ground now barren of snow? Certainly the snow now forecast for later in the night will cover any blood trail and surely, cover any carcass that may be laying on the ground, making for an even tougher search in the morning.

Geese still landing, one owl now sounding closer as I continued to ponder, when the deer gave me my answer by moving further to my south and never presenting me with that text book shot.

Stupid ditzeling deer.

OHhhh well....... there's always tomorrow.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/29 11:26:51

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/29 13:53:36 (permalink)
    Thanks BTDT. Love your stories you could be a writer.lol  I know where your coming from,there's been many a days through years that I made every excuse not to shot a doe.lol This year I passed on so many it was ridiculous in gun season. I told myself your just going to shoot a buck in late season.lol My son gave me h-ll for shooting her. Oh well I'm probably done. But I still have a buck tag, I put out 3 cams just to see if there's a big shooter left.  I know why I don't flintlock hunt more,what a pain in the arse to clean the d-m thing. Oh well wishing good ice to come or a little snow Bella wants go bunny hunting. I took her for a run yesterday but it's been a while, she ran one but not very well,very rusty and chubby out of shape little doggie. Good hunting to all.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/12/29 13:54:56
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2134
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/29 14:04:51 (permalink)
    Antlerless Buck Down! Boy was I dejected when I realized I had just smoked an antlerless buck. Had two deer coming down the ravine edge along the thickets, I passed on the 1st because the second one appeared larger. Boy was I right. He stepped in my lane, and I thought to myself " what a Monster of a doe ". I threw out the  " MAAAAP ". He stopped right there. " KADOOOSH ! " After the smoke cleared I realized it was a DRT ( Dead Right There ) at 55 yards. Upon arriving to the deer, my nephew thought wow, what a monster and new better of it as he than proceeded to check the deers head and quickly came to the conclusion that I had just smoked a monster of a buck who had dropped his antlers already. I quickly got over the fact that he was probably a wall hanger when I came to the realization that this dude will probably fill my whole freezer.

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/29 15:04:12 (permalink)
    Congrats BH and there stands the reason I have antlerless tags, ya just never know when those sub legal bucks will come back as legal antlerless.

Go figure huh, can't shoot em with antlers, so drop em without. Ummm.... that is if they ain't hangin on a Dutch barn and make it to late season to lose the sub-legal antlers.

Tuna I'm not against shooting doe, I have and given the right time, will take a doe but for me right now, it's about being able to get outdoors and enjoy the hunt and seeing nature at her best.

From your stories, I feel assured you know and understand that very same feeling, of the hunt. A feeling unfortunately, that is not understood or enjoyed by many. A feeling that keeps many of us young at heart, braving the elements sitting in a tree, driven by a desire to be a part of a heritage.

Than there are stories like your's, one which inspires hope to never give up, and that others may see they too, once again will be able to enjoy the hunt.

Gotta git, weather dude says lake effect headin my way. I'm sure the word is out and the deer will be making their way to the crik bottoms looking for shelter. Just hope they don't ditzel around about it.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 08:37:19 (permalink)
    Shall be fun tomorrow donning full snow camo in the wilds of Forest county
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 13:02:04 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    Shall be fun tomorrow donning full snow camo in the wilds of Forest county

I don't think I will able to wear the snow camo down here. We got about an inch and some of it is melting already. Supposed to be 40 here tomorrow. 

I am hunting Allegheny County tonight archery. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 13:31:20 (permalink)
    You'll be OK with the snow camo just pour water on one leg. They'll mistake you for melting snow!
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 15:06:59 (permalink)
    Full dress jeans and a flannel tomorrow hunting with my nephew in the cabin ( heated ). He's missed 2 already with the smoke pole. Maybe 3's a charm. Or is that 3 strikes and your out.....lol

BH
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 16:04:12 (permalink)
    If he's a beginner think earplugs. Helps them not jerk after the fizz.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 20:01:06 (permalink)
    Not much fizz. This thing touches off in a hurry with the over sized touch hole. Maybe I have to start tying them up a little closer to the cabin

BH
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/30 20:10:32 (permalink)
    Hunted archery tonight and had the big 15 inch wide 6 point I saw in November come cruising past at last light. He is a great buck but only 6 points. Only does I saw were walking out. They laughed at me. 

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2016/12/31 20:15:03 (permalink)
    4 pigs showed up out of the west window of the cabin at 830. Right when I was getting ready to fire up the heater. My nephew turns his head slowly to look out the window, 20 yards away, they were looking up at the cabin and must of caught that movement and they bolted. I knew I could get em to come in closer for him, but getting that window open for him would have been another story. Had I waited 5 minutes to screw around with the heater, he might have had his first smoked doe.

BH
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 09:45:35 (permalink)
       When I started hunting with Sparky (that's my flintlock) it was terrible and I was very disgusted. I was sold some kind of powder that was a fake kind of black powder and it took forever to go off. Some hangfires were counted in seconds. I shot terrible,and the flash--------boom was unnerving. The next year I bought some real black powder and larger touchole and what a difference, flaboom. I was able to hunt and be successful.
       First year I was discussing my problems with some wardens in the NW Office and told them that with a couple Valiums I thought I could shoot Sparky. Well they all looked incredulous, and I told them with honesty that I had never used Valium but that flash in front of my face unnerved me. Then as I practiced I became more used to the flash (old age slowed nerves possibly ) and can now shoot tolerably well.
       I have harvested 9 deer since ~2000 with sparky and like this year haven't hunted every year. Practice and if the flaboom isn't quick there probably is a reason.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 10:06:58 (permalink)
    Yinz keep talking about fizz flash kaboom's, flabooms and, running through the smoke I'm gonna have to start dropping hints for a up coming, "Happy Birthday To Me" gift.

Be a few months but one should never put off til tomorrow what one can do today.

Happy hunting, in the new year.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 13:44:29 (permalink)
    Missed a doe yesterday with the flintlock. Hunted a farm I have not hunted in 5 years. The fellas on the next farm over where driving all day. I ended up seeing 23 including one huge buck that came past me at 15 yards. 

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 19:43:54 (permalink)
    dpms
    Missed a doe yesterday with the flintlock. Hunted a farm I have not hunted in 5 years. The fellas on the next farm over where driving all day. I ended up seeing 23 including one huge buck that came past me at 15 yards. 

I dont get it, you shot at the doe but not the buck? Did you try and stop him? If not, dont think you could have busted him on the run at 15 yards? I'm not trying to crank em for ya DPMS, just love this season and like the stories

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Yinz keep talking about fizz flash kaboom's, flabooms and, running through the smoke I'm gonna have to start dropping hints for a up coming, "Happy Birthday To Me" gift.

Be a few months but one should never put off til tomorrow what one can do today.

Happy hunting, in the new year.

Just a warning. Shooting that smoke pole can be very addictive. It has also been known to make the most dedicated archers put that bow down for the late season

BH
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 20:58:02 (permalink)
    BloodyHand

Just a warning. Shooting that smoke pole can be very addictive. It has also been known to make the most dedicated archers put that bow down for the late season BH

NOooooooo not that!!!! 😱 lol
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/01/01 21:02:00

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 21:02:40 (permalink)
    Dpms,got a buck with his X bow. Some of us do hunt legal. I think it's still one buck per season in Pa. 
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/01 21:17:21 (permalink)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Oh snap, I forgot about his archery buck. I musta been thinking you can use your buck tag for an antlerless deer in late season muzzleloader . That would explain why no shot on the buck. Sorry DPMS.

BH
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/02 00:24:32 (permalink)
    I completely agree!! If black power gets into your blood you are definitely in trouble! There's just something magic when you take a deer or any game with ball and patch.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/02 07:53:50 (permalink)
    BloodyHand
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Oh snap, I forgot about his archery buck. I musta been thinking you can use your buck tag for an antlerless deer in late season muzzleloader . That would explain why no shot on the buck. Sorry DPMS.

No worries. I was following up on the doe I missed to make sure I didn't hit her. After about 100 yards of tracking in the snow, I heard a stick break and here he comes followed by another doe. He had 4 up on the one side and great mass. He saw me at 15 yards and wheeled around and headed the other way. Looked to be about 17 inches inside as he was headed away.

Supposed to get really cold later this week. That should make for some god hunting if we can get a skiff of snow to go with it down here in the SW. Some of my best days in flintlock have been when the temps are lowest.
    post edited by dpms - 2017/01/02 07:56:11

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/02 09:34:58 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, but some of my most productive late season hunts have been during  snow storms and extremely cold. Still hunt the hiils, mountains, crevice sides that are out of the wind. ( ex. North wind, hunt the south facing slopes ). With full dress snow camo and the snow coming down, you can really put the sneak on em. Cover your action with a piece of leather and change your flash powder every half hour.

BH
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/02 12:01:28 (permalink)
    BloodyHand
    Believe it or not, but some of my most productive late season hunts have been during  snow storms and extremely cold. Still hunt the hiils, mountains, crevice sides that are out of the wind. ( ex. North wind, hunt the south facing slopes ). With full dress snow camo and the snow coming down, you can really put the sneak on em. Cover your action with a piece of leather and change your flash powder every half hour.

Yep. I like it colder than heck, windy, and snow showers. Snow camo with light fluffy snow and you can sneak right up on them in the wind and snow.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Flintlock season started with a bang. 2017/01/03 08:38:33 (permalink)
    I'm 0-3 with the smoke pole so far, but having a blast so far. seen way more deer in flintlock than in the general firearms season.
    Jump to: