Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/14 23:38:55 (permalink)

Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3

Time to finish this BS boat build up.  Saturday between rain storms we finished building a rear battery box and installed the battery (note bungee holding the battery down).  The fact that this battery is nearly impossible to get in and out of the boat probably means I need to invest in one of those in_the_boat charger dealies.  Maybe next year.  

My dad also spent a bit of time rewiring some of the squirrel-nest that was my boat's wiring.  We moved the power source for the CB and the fish finder to the new front battery.  I'll be adding leads for submersible lights and the pump for my bait well to that battery.  And maybe a future radio/speakers.  I installed that battery this evening.  

Also installed the fuel/water separator in the rear compartment and ran hoses from the gas tank and out to the engines.  Just need to put the squeeze_valve and connector piece on (already have this, set aside from last season) and make a jumper for the kicker.  Some pictures of all that work follow:

24 Replies Related Threads

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/14 23:42:21 (permalink)
    Pics of the front battery.  Looks like it might be in the way, but actually my feet come nowhere near that.  I'll get a shot of me sitting in the driver seat at some point but for now just take my word for it.  Plenty of room under this console.  

Oh, and since when are battery core charges EIGHTEEN fricking dollars?  That's just robbery.  But I didn't want to drive the earth looking for a battery, and this one fit the holder I had perfectly.  So they got their blood money.  Bastards.  Need to put a fire extinguisher back in there on the left of the battery.  And I may put some wire chase over those wires.  Not that they are all that in the way as-is.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/14 23:54:19 (permalink)
    Things left to do:
    FUEL/ENGINE
    - make fuel line jumper for kicker
    - attach fuel bulb/connector to hose from fuel/water separator
    - fill boat with new fuel
    - test run both engines
    WIRING
    - attach all wires to rear battery incl both engines
    - add leads for aux hookups front and back (lights and baitwell)
    MISC
    - attach rear floor panel
    - have snap on cover made for rear compartment
    - place cooler seat in back of boat
    - place baitwell in boat
    - attach tool holder in rear of boat
    - make boards for cap rail (possibly azek/pvc boards, possibly wood+poly)
    - make drawer for passenger glovebox compartment
    - find and attach cargo net for life vests under passenger console
    - attach 2x 3 rod holders on fronts of consoles

And boom, all done!  Ha.  Some of that isn't 100% necessary before test running the boat.  Which I hope to do this Sunday.  Trip to NC OBX looming and I need this thing wrapped up and GTG before I tow it Xhundred miles to the coast.  

The floor came out very nice I think.  The proof will be in the use.  But my dad bled all over the floor while working on it Saturday and it wiped right up.  Hoping to test that better with some fish blood very soon.  I'll try to get some full boat with seats and everything put up this weekend, plus maybe even a few floating.  Fingers crossed.  

Brinkster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/15 16:05:32 (permalink)
    python73
    Pics of the front battery.  Looks like it might be in the way, but actually my feet come nowhere near that.  I'll get a shot of me sitting in the driver seat at some point but for now just take my word for it.  Plenty of room under this console.  

Oh, and since when are battery core charges EIGHTEEN fricking dollars?  That's just robbery.  But I didn't want to drive the earth looking for a battery, and this one fit the holder I had perfectly.  So they got their blood money.  Bastards.  Need to put a fire extinguisher back in there on the left of the battery.  And I may put some wire chase over those wires.  Not that they are all that in the way as-is.  

should have went to Battery Outlet at 29th and Liberty for your Batteries

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/15 16:55:43 (permalink)
    Nice of your Dad to provide some blood, to test the easy clean up...

Looking good.  Hope you hit your Sunday deadline.  Sounds like a good bit of stuff to do, but definitely the home stretch.  Got to be a great feeling!  Hopefully some doormat sized flounder flopping around on the new floor soon enough.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/15 18:22:50 (permalink)
    brinkstershould have went to Battery Outlet at 29th and Liberty for your Batteries

Also apparently some place in New Castle also.  But like I said, world travel to save a few bucks wasn't on my agenda.  With this crazy rain, work, umpiring, etc my window for boat part shopping is very small.  

Pork - you KNOW I'm posting 20 pictures of any flounder I deck in this thing.  And trout for that matter.  CANNOT WAIT.  Only reason I haven't sunk the thing in the swamp across the street and claimed salvage price.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/15 23:27:44 (permalink)
    Lookin good Sam, go get em!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/22 10:18:20 (permalink)
    Some updates from this weekend.  Got the fuel system connected up on Friday night and hooked everything up to the batteries.  First casualty: gas gauge.  SIGH.  No fixing that now, though it might be the gauge itself and not the float/tank.  Could NOT get gas into the **** engine.  Went and got parts, replaced the bulb, nothing.  Got the filter to fill with fuel but it just wouldn't fill the ball.  Got angry and tore out all the filter nonsense, plumbed it direct.  STILL NO FUEL!!  So I pulled the line from the ball to the engine and replaced it with 6' of clear vinyl hose.  Then I sucked gas into it (gas is tasty and good eats) and connected the end back up.  

After all that mess I was able to run the engine.  Removed the clear hose and put a new piece of fuel line back in and it worked, though I still can't get the ball to stay solid.  I swear there's a leak inside the engine that's screwing with me.  

Wanted to leave at 9am, finally left at 2:30pm and drove up to Shenago.  Launched at Clark, which was a mistake, since the dock isn't at the ramp.  Who designed that crap?  Jumped in the boat to launch and my wife backed the boat the last 8 feet, managed to jackknife it 6 times in those 8 feet.  Motor idles rough and was generally a PITA.  But we got past the bridge and dropped the hammer and it MOVED.  Got 30mhp at not quite full throttle with my wife and I in the boat and a full gas tank.  That'll get us out to the perch grounds with no problems.  

Struggled a bit with the connector arm that goes to the kicker.  Since it wasn't connected it kept flopping around and jamming, but that was my fault.  Should have disconnected it before we left.  

Good news:  not a drop of water in the back/bottom.  So my new plugs are good.  Floor is awesome, seats are awesome.  Should fish like a monster.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/22 16:19:38 (permalink)
    Awesome. Congrats.  Hopefully those perch are showing up in Erie now.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/22 22:14:10 (permalink)
    ZelieSam, best get yourself a couple bottles of Star-Tron, get it into that gas tank, and get that engine runnin' right before a high mileage, expensive fishin' trip, only to be disappointed with a bum motor when ya get there. I've been there; done that!! (Well, it wasn't my motor; lost a trailer bearing. PITA to cut off a bearing and dress up an axle with a file to fit a new hub).
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/23 09:13:29 (permalink)
    Not sure how fuel treatment would help me.  That gas was HOURS old, and I cleaned that tank down to the nubbins over the winter.  Can't get cleaner/newer fuel.  The engine itself is acting just like it did last fall.  I looked into the low idle thing and from everything I've read the engine I have just sucks at low speed idle.  I suspect the low-speed jets are probably clogged a bit and I'm thinking of getting my carb guy after them.   

But I hear you on the fix.  Long term I have some things in mind, like ditching the 80 AND the 18 and getting a nice newer 60-90hp replacement.  And then getting a nice, slow, fat living room pontoon with a 20 for local fishing.  But this is pre- putting any real fishing hours on this boat.  So I'm hoping I get her out on Arthur and she fishes like a madman and I forget all about that nonsense.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/23 12:00:56 (permalink)
    Sooooooooooooooooo, yinz was at Shenango was yinz, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  OK for yinz!!!!

Geez I see the lake, according to the Facebook page, is 2 plus feet below normal summer pool.  Definitely must be cautious of things that might go bump in the water.

Congrats on christening of the "Zelie Sam" did ya bust it with a bottle of Boone's Farm during for the dedication?

I hear the boat dealer just off of Shenenago at Orangeville is good with repairs and/or may have a motor or two for sale  

Resele Marine Inc

Boat Dealer

Address: 8250 OH-609, Orangeville, OH 44453

Phone: (330) 772-7722

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/23 12:09:18 (permalink)
    BTDT it is low, but not super crazy fall low yet.  Plenty of room for zooming back and forth in the main lake a few times.  I'd have let you know but I didn't even take a rod with me.  :(  Only time for a test run.  Probably a boat load of crappy waiting to jump in my boat too.  

Probably should have launched at the main launch instead of Clark.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/23 12:28:30 (permalink)
    No launch sight that I am aware has a dock immediate to the ramps buddy, brilliant Huh?  Engineers my asz!!!

Maybe try giving Resele a call before your next trip and talk to him about that low speed sputter, might be worth the time.  I'd recommend the dude in Franklin but I think the one session you had was enough.  Haa ha, ummm I did warn you.......  didn't I?

I'll be checking Shenango real soon and I'll let you know wassup but not on this forum, you know me, I don't spot burn.

Keep up the good work on the "Zelie Sam", it's lookin good and you'll get those motor problems worked out.

FYI  check these connectors at Cabela's or do a little searching for a better price, you'll love the quick disconnects. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auxiliary-Motor-Connector-Rods/700014.uts

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/23 22:09:28 (permalink)
    ZelieSam, the reason I recommend the StarTron is that it will help get those deposits out of the carbs. My guess is your carb guy is gonna find that nasty lookin' salve (from rotten fuel) in  those bowls and in the air bleeds, and the needles and seats, etc, in which case fuel level in the bowls can affect both high and low speed RPMs. Needles can actually be stuck in the crap and won't drop, preventing fuel from filling the bowl. Along with bein' a first class fuel cleaning agent, StarTron is also an excellent stabilizer. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3097
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/24 09:06:34 (permalink)
    I'd upgrade to a nice Yamaha or Honda
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/24 09:40:35 (permalink)
    EMitchZelieSam, the reason I recommend the StarTron is that it will help get those deposits out of the carbs.

Ah okay, I'm following you now.  Last fall I filled a new can of gas with enough seafoam to clean out anything, and I sprayed the crap out of the carbs with spray in carb cleaner.  I'm guessing that just like you said there is a mess internally.  But it can't hurt to run some additives through again... I'll look to pick some up.  
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/24 21:25:56 (permalink)
    I'm probably NOT telling you anything new, but since switching to only ethanol free fuel, have had virtually NO fuel issues.
    Good luck with the boat--you really have done ALOT of work.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/24 22:40:11 (permalink)
    About that... I headed for the Valero in Zelie to get zero ethanol gas.  And it was torn down, with a BP being put in.  *(@#&*(@&$*#@

Turns out that the BP still sells ethanol free gas, at least according to their sandwich board.  So next fill will be the real deal if I can help it.  Actually the next fill up will probably be in the marina in Manteo, but that will be the right stuff also.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/25 10:13:22 (permalink)
    Sam did ya get a chance to check the link for those motor connectors?  Once installed, merely slide a sleeve and and your kicker will be disconnected from the primary power house.  Reconnect with the same ease.  Tight lines and good times in Manteo.

PS.  Tried Shenango yesterday.........  stupid fish!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/08/25 10:15:48

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/25 10:57:55 (permalink)
    I looked at it.  And the fancier one that someone linked in part 2.  Just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  At this point I don't think I have time to get one before my trip, and I don't plan to run the kicker anyway.  Maybe when we get back.

Stupid fish!  I won't ask if you were using BAIT...
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/27 20:54:35 (permalink)
    Check out this drawer my buddy made:

The front is pvc board, the drawer is a kraftmade (I think).  It's even soft close!  Just need to throw some dividers in there or maybe a drawer organizer.  Really a pro job.  Might add some velcro or a latch to keep it closed in really rough conditions, haven't figured that out yet.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/27 20:56:10 (permalink)
    And some red oak caprail boards.  Need some sanding and then drilled for mounting hardware, then I'll poly them a couple times before installing.  

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/08/27 22:06:52 (permalink)
    Go for 4 coats of poly. Did 3 this spring and it's starting to fade here n there. Nicely done project. ;-)

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 3 2016/09/20 22:03:30 (permalink)
    Let's finish this up with a few "after" pics.  Part 4 on the way...
    Jump to: