April 1 Trout opener

Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
2016/03/31 21:51:15 (permalink)

April 1 Trout opener

Good luck to everyone who plans to wet a line for the trout season opener in NY tomorrow.
I plan to hit some local reservoir outlet streams at first light in the hopes of re-learning how it feels to have a fish tugging at the end of my line.  Don't forget to post pictures!

10 Replies Related Threads

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/01 17:53:24 (permalink)
    I had a banner opening day fishing on a NYC reservoir outlet stream not far from home. 
    I managed to catch and release over 25 browns, most 2 year old fish, from first light until about 10:30 this morning.  It felt good having that familiar thump at the end of my line.  I must say the conditions were perfect, I even saw some fish rising to what appeared to be blue winged olives or mahogany duns.  A big difference compared to the ice cold high waters of the last two years. 
    I hope those of you that did manage to wet a line faired as well.   
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/01 19:10:51 (permalink)
    No trout for me until the ADK's turn on in May but my brother in law found some river herring.
    Glad you had a great opener Gerry , well deserved and well done

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/05 11:04:18 (permalink)
    Had a funeral to attend on opening day, knew that if I made the drive to Naples I was likely to not return to Victor for the funeral, so bagged the opener.  Twobob and I walked all of Grimes Creek, much of Tannery, checked road holes on the Eelpot, and did close to a mile of the main creek on Saturday.  He had a pull in one hole, I had what was probably a brookie come out and take a look at a sack in Tannery, lots of clean gravel around in Grimes and the main creek, but all the fish were gone, or hiding in the deep fast spots and the logjams.  May try again tomorrow, but the Finger Lakes are well past peak this year.  Also saw a pair of suckers, so they will be all over the place soon. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/05 19:48:36 (permalink)
    Bummer about the gods creations L-13 , all things must pass I suppose and memories are to be shared .
    I used to do the opening day with my dad on the brooks and non stocked streams when I was a kid . They have for most part in last 30 years become void and I got lazy heading to the SR for excitement, as said , all things must past . No longer head to that area and no desire to chase the local stockies streams as I notice some still do in other places while sitting in their trucks ,take epic photos of palamino trout and watch the trucks work .
    My opening trout season consists of ice out ADK ponds ( prior ) to stocking or when the Hendrickson hatch happens on those ADK streams , hopefully before stocking .

Now April trout has been replaced by backyard ocean run linesiders:)
    Should be a fantastic season despite the 6" snow we received yesterday, mostly melted today.
    Maybe some pics this weekend as friends are coming down for an adventure.

Be well
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/04/05 19:50:28

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/05 22:50:48 (permalink)
    All things change-
    Started  on little native brookies in forgotten seeps- then on to stockies - then to salt and then to SR.
    A lifetime of great and varied fun-all overlapping to one degree or another
    Well-- back to mostly stockies and salt-
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/06 08:28:10 (permalink)
    Crazy went from a t-shirt on Friday to breaking through ice on the frog water to get to the main river last night. Local spots water temp was 39 last night still too cold but had to get out. Air temperature didn't feel bad but the eyes on my rod kept freezing up so it must of been colder than I thought. RJ good luck on the river this weekend
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/06 20:14:53 (permalink)
    Easy on the stockies, you still have to trick em into biting.  LOL
    When it's the only game close by you have to make the most of it. 
    I should go to the mighty Hudson with a chair, six pack, rod holder, equipment and lounge on the banks while waiting for a striper, catfish or eel to come calling but that's not my style.  I did it in my younger days but now if I sit too long I'll fall asleep.
    Bottom line is get out there and fish regardless of origin of your targeted species.  
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/06 21:19:38 (permalink)
    Stockies are strange, throw anything with flash and you get bit . After the bucket fillers clean the mass out , then they tend to get smart .
    Don't get me wrong, a tug on the line is fun but I been spoiled traveling or waiting for the big fish to strike . Hours and hrs of trolling , drifting , jigging or live lining for "the one " as the American sportsman Curt would say, is where I'm at today and will probably finish out my career as a fisher.

Now this is in no intention to anyone here but following a truck, marking the spot and returning to a " hard to reach " place the next day loaded with outta state plates and tossing a custom spinner to catch a picture of a bucket fish , nah . More fun to shoot tin cans in the man cave

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/07 05:33:16 (permalink)
    Custom made spinners work  on stockies?
    Who would have guessed? :)

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: April 1 Trout opener 2016/04/07 12:14:45 (permalink)
    Been awhile since I reported in so here's what I'm doing in Ohio.To make it short....nothing! The main rivers were unfishable and the tribs were too low and clear,I went out a couple times and caught nothing.Now with the rain last night the main rivers are again unfisable BUT MAYBE the tribs will get a run with the higher water,tomorrow I will explore that and HOPE to get at least ONE tug! 
    Maybe I have to visit HT for a linesider:)
    Jump to: