Helpful ReplyShenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 20:46:03 (permalink)
I wonder why not ?

The jump in walleye numbers was the result of the LEC’s new population assessment model for determining how many walleye are swimming in Lake Erie. The new model increased the estimated size of the walleye population to more than 22 million fish.

Ahh,.... that's why.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:00:19 (permalink)
Here's a little interesting fact I came across too......

The total allowable catch (TAC) for Lake Erie walleye was set at 4.027 million fish, a noticeable jump from a TAC of 3.356 million in 2013. Ohio gets the lion’s share of 2.058 million fish, up from 1.715 million in 2013, with Ontario allocated 1.734 million walleye. Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York get small shares of the TAC.
Ohio does not allow commercial fishing for walleye, and sport anglers have not come close to catching Ohio’s quota of walleye in decades. In Ontario, commercial walleye fishing dominates. Even with reduced effort in recent years, netters have been able to catch the majority of the Ontario quota.

Good old Canadian netters ! Bet there's a lot of extras in those nets !
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/02/26 21:13:55
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:11:38 (permalink)
 Since they don't stock'em in Erie & the lower Allegheny like they don't stock the SR &  are polluted maybe the SR can thrive like LE & the lower Allegheny without help from man made fish?? Hope so...

crappy
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:19:24 (permalink)
how many square miles are in PA  & how many in NY?
post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/02/26 21:20:49
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:29:30 (permalink)
I highly doubt that, but who knows maybe with all the limited river access miles below they will manage somewhat. I don't see any Walleye numbers at all in the upper Shenango like there was past years so that tells me Mother Nature is not on their side. Even if smaller fish were around I'd feel like maybe it might work , but it's been bad since stocking has been eliminated . When you fish a good section of river and see very few fishermen, and you catch almost no fish after repeated visits, you know it ain't right.  Especially when you and others did good past years in the same water.   
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:38:38 (permalink)
 I'd be goin' to Pmy in April & start milkin' eggs & be putin' in my bathtub for a month if I lived close to the SR THEN. pURDY sIMple

crappy
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 21:55:40 (permalink)
If I go to Pymy in April and do sum katchin  I'll be puttin' em my freezer !
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/26 22:26:23 (permalink)
They be in my freezer also after doin' some milkin' 
Hope your Grandkids get to enjoy that river as much as u have.

crappy 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/27 07:02:29 (permalink)
crappiefisher
They be in my freezer also after doin' some milkin' 
Hope your Grandkids get to enjoy that river as much as u have.

crappy 

That's like plant/raising your own food supplies then pay the grocery stores so you can harvest them for your use.  How about the grocery stores charge you extra for the red potatoes you grow over the russets just because you enjoy that spud over another.  

Because that's exactly what you suggest, pay the PSFBC for doing their work.  

The reason anglers have been able to enjoy such success on the rivers and lakes with catching other fish is because the "PFC" did their work in past years, unlike, the present PSFBC that thinks tossing "trout" to the masses completes their responsibilities.

Therefore, everyone's grandchildren could enjoy fishing, if the PSFBC would get back to the basics.

PS. There may also be some legal matters regarding your suggestion.  But, I'll stand corrected!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/27 12:09:00 (permalink)
   You never were publicly intoxicated,went over the speed limit, got into a fight so on & so on??  Oh well if it makes someone this upset just got to live with it for now I guess? and go through the legal process 

gotta go headin' to Pmy for 3 too 4 days 

crappy 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/27 13:29:02 (permalink)
Exactly BTDT , if the Fish Commission continued to live up to their past commitments and stock local waters, my grandchildren would enjoy that river for many years like I did. Remember Pymatuning has been good for decades because of PROPER STOCKING ! No other reason...no catch and release , no lower limits , no slot limits , no natural spawning , just good old replenish fish year after year with a proper restocking program . Also known as the put and take program.   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/27 13:58:56 (permalink)
crappiefisher
   You never were publicly intoxicated,went over the speed limit, got into a fight so on & so on??  Oh well if it makes someone this upset just got to live with it for now I guess? and go through the legal process  gotta go headin' to Pmy for 3 too 4 days  crappy 

Crappiefisher, you Sir, know me all too well. Correct you are...... No.... No...... and No. 3 million miles driving truck for a living and driving since "67", never stopped for any motor vehicle infraction. I do not consume alcohol outside my home. Never let my mouth overload what my asz can't handle so, never been in what I ever called a fight.

But thanks for asking.

Good luck at Pymie, catch a bunch.

Capt. there is in fact, a difference with the walleye fishery at Pymie but, that depends on who you ask.

Me, I put my money on the info provided by the locals who tell me the walleye are just beginning to make a come back. Yeah just starting to make a come back but, nowhere near what it was just 8 years ago when the biologist started screwing with, stocking fry vs fingerling etc.

Articles of that fiasco where printed in the "PA. Outdoors" along with letters to the editor from area fisherman who know, what PAST walleye fishing was, at Pymie.

Personally, I think we will see a change for the better now that our area lakes and rivers will be allowed to revert to the good ole days.

Thankfully to SOS.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/27 14:42:13

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DayLateDollarShort
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/27 21:34:03 (permalink)
One thing that hurts the walleye population in pym are the Amish that catch their limit, go to shore to pass the fish to the women who take them through the woods and clean and freeze them while the men go out for another batch. I've watched them in action. Then they put on a benefit fish dinner at kinsman fire hall. Isn't that commercial fishing for profit?  They need to follow the same rules we do.  I've reported them and they tell me they don't have enough officers but let one of us keep a walleye a half inch short and it will cost a pretty penny. 
The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/28 08:10:47 (permalink)
I've also witnessed the boys in blue do their thing. Watched 4 in a boat last year
put every fish they caught in the cooler shorty eyes included. Like Walleye Bill said
let me have a sub legal in my box and the fish cops would get me good. I don't
know what effect it has on the fishery but everyone needs to play by the rules.
Also some of the boys in blue have some nice motor boats...what ever happened to
their row boats...lol
Tim
DayLateDollarShort
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Shenango Walleye Stockings / Inland Walleye Program (revisited) 2016/02/28 11:55:03 (permalink)
Put this number in your cell phones ant turn them in.  814-273-7001. He told me he would come and take care of the situation. He's with the PFBC.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: