Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection

Author
Little35
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/29 13:40:23 (permalink)

Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection

This will be the third year for my boat trailer. I have been inspecting and repacking the wheel bearings every year. This requires removing and replacing the seal. Does anybody just do this every other year? Anybody just pull the hub and take a look and then reinstall the hub without removing the seal? I don't put my boat in a slip for the season, I trailer it everywhere.
Thank you for your time.

20 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 13:52:36 (permalink)
    Install a set of Bearing Buddies and just squirt a shot of greese in them twice a year. I've been doing this for about 10 years now and have never had a problem.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 15:25:27 (permalink)
    if your trailer carries over 3500lbs you have to do alot more each year than check the bearings....bearing buddies are an answer...u gota watch though if you are taking them off every year...you can ruin the seats and lose them...i lost 2 last year..lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 16:12:40 (permalink)
    My trailer has a 3500lb max axle. My rig is probably weighs 1700lbs. I don't have bearing buddies, the axle that the trailer came with have a different system. They have a grease fitting on the end of the spindle that sends the grease down the center of the spindle and then back up the outside of the spindle and through the inner and outer bearings. It seems to work well it just does'nt put the constant pressure on the grease like a bearing buddy. Did you ever see an spindle like these?
    I do grease the wheels after every trip.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 18:18:45 (permalink)
    You are making work for yourself by removing the bearings every year. You say that the axle spindle has a grease fitting and that you grease them after every outing. There is no need to remove and repack them every year. Just watch so you don't push the inner seal out. Every few years it would be wise to pull the hub to inspect the bearings though. As long as the bearings are greased the thing that kills them is arriving at the boat ramp and submerge the trailer hubs in the water. Those warm hubs are just going to suck in the water.
    fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 19:10:30 (permalink)
    Another vote for bearing buddies. I grease mine a few times a year; probably not necessery, but grease is cheap and easy.
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/29 21:18:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2dog

You are making work for yourself by removing the bearings every year. You say that the axle spindle has a grease fitting and that you grease them after every outing. There is no need to remove and repack them every year. Just watch so you don't push the inner seal out. Every few years it would be wise to pull the hub to inspect the bearings though. As long as the bearings are greased the thing that kills them is arriving at the boat ramp and submerge the trailer hubs in the water. Those warm hubs are just going to suck in the water.

Yes, they are called Safe-T-Lube hubs. The grease gets pumped down the middle of the spindle and then comes back up on the outside of the spindle and pass over both bearings. It is just not spring loaded like the bearing buddies.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/30 18:46:14 (permalink)
    I don't know about anybody else, but my bearing buddies don't stay spring loaded with grease for long.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/30 18:52:53 (permalink)
    2 dog your seals are probably worn.....I fill the bearing buddies on my 16 footer once a year and have never had to pull a cap for 10 years.   My 24' I fill twice a year.   bearing buddies are the way to go.  Although the safey lube system sounds good too.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    snookyII
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/31 15:51:12 (permalink)
    The sure lube set up you have is the way to go. Just pop the front dust cap off, get an old box or towel to catch the old grease and your ready to go. Slowly pump and the old grease flows out the front and the bearing is completely repacked. Replace the dust cap(there should be a small rubber seal in middle of cap)remove the center dust cap seal and pump a few more shots in. If the grease comes out worn looking but not milky or cloudy your seals are good. You can also visually inspect your seals by looking at the back side at the axle. This system virtually eliminates complete removal of bearing unless a bad seal is found, then you will have to replace as you have been. Do not put a bearing buddy inplace of the dust cap you currently have. Two different types of systems and you will get water intrusion with the bearing buddy. Bearing buddies work ok ,but they do not remove any contaminated grease in your hub,they just keep the hub packed and alot of guys get a little over zealous and end up blowing the rear seal. In my opinion you got the easiest and best set up out there. Hope this helped!
    Little35
    Avid Angler
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/31 15:54:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input!!! This is what I do now during the season. I will just inspect the seals and if they are not leaking I will just change all the grease by pumping it through with the grease gun.
    post edited by Little35 - 2008/01/31 15:58:20
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/01/31 19:32:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

2 dog your seals are probably worn.....I fill the bearing buddies on my 16 footer once a year and have never had to pull a cap for 10 years.   My 24' I fill twice a year.   bearing buddies are the way to go.  Although the safey lube system sounds good too.

No grease showing on the outside of the rear seal or the bearing buddy.
    Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2008/02/01 08:56:51 (permalink)
    I will pop off my bearing budies to take a look in there. If the grease is white I know I got water in there then I will repack and re grease. But while I am in there this I think is most important is to jack up your axel and make sure your axel nuts are snugged up. Give the tire a spin and grab both sides and wiggle the tire if it wiggles at all  its time to snug up the bearing retainer nut. All the grease in the world wont help a wobbling tire.
    ayliss
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/13 11:13:50 (permalink)
     L'autre sera destinée notamment le Gris Moncler Chartreuse Bas Jackets.It obtient un cordon à la veste bottom.The Bleu Moncler Jacket Field est aussi celui très répandu parmi les jeunes.Beaucoup de jeunes comme doudoune moncler bady blu olive les sports de plein air dans le froid, comme les vestes doudoune moncler ski.The est le meilleur choix pour les accompagnent.Vous va para?tre à la mode et la tendance Damen moncler Weste dans le froid mordant et les vents forts avec ces jackets.As chic pour hommes, vestes 2011 moncler pour les hommes ont une conception simple qui leur permet d'être un ajustement facile avec les autres vêtements dans votre placard vous donnant ainsi des styles différents mais sophistiqué et tendance.Pour lutter contre de nombreuses années, la doudoune Moncler sont maintenant revenir à la vogue, mais franchement, ils ne sont pas à un bon price.Therefore il vous fera tomber dans le grand plaisir si vous êtes capable de trouver un endroit où vous pouvez acheter le Moncler des vestes à la fois de haute qualité et un bon prix erroné.L doudoune moncler down noire sont aimés par beaucoup de gens de différentes ages.And une majorité de leurs vestes sont vendus online.Everyday le vendeur en ligne obtiendrez beaucoup de marques orders.The aujourd'hui a réussi à établir leur propre renommée et la réputation, dans le même temps ils ouvrent de nombreuses doudoune moncler bady blu caramel cha?nes de magasins dans la réalité et sur l'Internet, qui gagnent beaucoup d'argent pour l'entreprise, et elle tend à être la société la Moncler Boots mode centre.The tentent maintenant d'augmenter leur d'affaires portées et la diversité de leurs produits dans le seul but d'attirer les clients attentions.
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/13 12:07:06 (permalink)
    welcome to the site ayliss
    hopeisthehelpa
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/13 12:14:35 (permalink)

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/13 13:44:43 (permalink)
    Jeez, the least you could do is spam us in ENGLISH...
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/13 16:18:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ayliss

L'autre sera destinée notamment le Gris Moncler Chartreuse Bas Jackets.It obtient un cordon à la veste bottom.The Bleu Moncler Jacket Field est aussi celui très répandu parmi les jeunes.Beaucoup de jeunes comme doudoune moncler bady blu olive les sports de plein air dans le froid, comme les vestes doudoune moncler ski.The est le meilleur choix pour les accompagnent.Vous va para?tre à la mode et la tendance Damen moncler Weste dans le froid mordant et les vents forts avec ces jackets.As chic pour hommes, vestes 2011 moncler pour les hommes ont une conception simple qui leur permet d'être un ajustement facile avec les autres vêtements dans votre placard vous donnant ainsi des styles différents mais sophistiqué et tendance.Pour lutter contre de nombreuses années, la doudoune Moncler sont maintenant revenir à la vogue, mais franchement, ils ne sont pas à un bon price.Therefore il vous fera tomber dans le grand plaisir si vous êtes capable de trouver un endroit où vous pouvez acheter le Moncler des vestes à la fois de haute qualité et un bon prix erroné.L doudoune moncler down noire sont aimés par beaucoup de gens de différentes ages.And une majorité de leurs vestes sont vendus online.Everyday le vendeur en ligne obtiendrez beaucoup de marques orders.The aujourd'hui a réussi à établir leur propre renommée et la réputation, dans le même temps ils ouvrent de nombreuses doudoune moncler bady blu caramel cha?nes de magasins dans la réalité et sur l'Internet, qui gagnent beaucoup d'argent pour l'entreprise, et elle tend à être la société la Moncler Boots mode centre.The tentent maintenant d'augmenter leur d'affaires portées et la diversité de leurs produits dans le seul but d'attirer les clients attentions.

Here, fixed it for ya. If you are gonna spam, at least spam it right...

The other will be for the particular e © Gray Chartreuse Moncler Down Jackets.It get a cord jacket Moncler Jacket bottom.The Blue Field is also the Rubbish © ra pandu jeunes.Beaucoup among young people like Moncler bady blu olive the outdoor sports in the cold, such as jackets Moncler ski.The is the best choice for them.You will para? be fashionable and trend Damen moncler West in the bitter cold and strong winds with these jackets.As chic for men, moncler jackets for men in 2011 had a simple design that allows them to à ª be an easy fit with the other's clothing in your closet giving you styles © prev ent but sophisticated and © tendance.Pour fight against many anna © es, the Moncler now return to the popular, but frankly, they are not a good price.Therefore you will fall into the great pleasure if you à ª your able to find a place where you can buy Moncler jackets both high quality and good © © incorrect price. L moncler down black © s are loved by many diff rent ages.And © © a majority of their jackets are sold online.Everyday seller online get many brands today orders.The ra à © à © Table USSI their renowned © e © ra and reputation, mà ª me in the time they open up many caramel Moncler bady blu cha? ties of stores in © ra © bedridden and on the Internet, earning lots of money for the company, and it tends to be the socially à ª © © the download mode centre.The Moncler Boots are now trying to increase their business is © and diversity are © of their products with the sole aim to attract customers attention.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/14 10:44:46 (permalink)
    On the way up from Washington county when I make a stop, I get out and put my hand on the axle. If I feel it is hot I shoot a couple Of squirts of grease in the bearing buddies. When I get home I will pull them to repack or change,haven't had to in 8 yrs.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/14 10:54:08 (permalink)
    bearing buddys so easy to pump them up with grease give a shot or 3 befor the trip works well 10years now and they are in good shape
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Boat Trailer Wheel Bearings Inspection 2011/10/14 11:09:43 (permalink)
    I use bearing buddies, but I still check my bearings at least once a year...
    Jump to: