Up Up and Away

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2015/11/01 09:04:39 (permalink)

Up Up and Away

yesterday the wife and I took a sunrise hot air balloon trip .. Something I would have never dreamed of doing but was so glad and grateful we did.. Afterwards we went to breakfast and was kinda shocked to hear my wife say, "what's our next adventure" ? My response was, "what , do you have a bucket list going now " ? Well she gave me a look of like, yea..
In our early days we were unable or really had desire to many things and were satisfied with simple things like just going to the Adirondacks , we still are.. Lately since the kids have grown up we have started to expand on adventures and must say it's been a pretty awesome ride.. Places out west, the Grand Canyon , Niagara Falls, theme parks , and the boat on the Great Lake just to name a few.. During breakfast I said I loved the west and really would like to go back to spend more time there again in places we were only able to spend little or missed, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado , New Mexico and of course the high country of Arizona , she greed but threw me a curve and said " we have already been there, we need to go to Alaska first"
Heck yea, no argument there from me !!!
In saying this, I also must say I am so grateful to have been married to such a wonderful woman for 31 years and cant wait to continue our journeys together, where ever the bucket list takes us from here on, she has great ideas :)

Sappy as that was, here are some pic's from floating high in the sky, we could almost see Fichy's house :)
After about 20 mins in the air the morning low hanging fog burned off and the views were amazing from both perspectives

Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

10 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 09:28:53 (permalink)
    Cool, bro. Toni's a great lady. Don't let that Alaska comment go unfufilled!
    Where the deer and antelope play is amazing, but where the huge  silver Kings and giant  rainbows swim is even more....  I'm glad the fall colors hung on late this year for your air ride.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 10:16:38 (permalink)
    My wife took me on a hot air ballon trip for my 50th birthday. Totally cool experience.

Have done the fighter jet thing in a 1979 Mig that was bought from the old USSR and also a 1942 open cockpit biplane, but the ballon, with no noise and no sense of movement was probably my favorite.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 10:53:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing those thoughts DarDys,
    While I never did the fighter jet thing, it had to be a rush.. Think I would need double underwear..
    The balloon was pretty much as you described, quietly floating and the wind takes you away..
    In our case, there was little wind but an understanding of high and low currents.. At different levels of altitude we moved at various speeds..
    It was just awesome, we seen deer, turkeys and cows just looked up at us like they were enjoying what they were watching..
    Would I do it again ? In a second I would !!! 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 11:31:43 (permalink)
    Absolutely awesome!

I think I know what to get my wife for her birthday next spring.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 12:02:30 (permalink)
    If anyone so choses this , just some tips the pilot gave me..
    Sunrise trips are much better then evening/sunset trips.. Typically there is less winds at day break meaning better chance of getting up before the winds as opposed to waiting for them to lye down and possibly cancel..
    Spring or late fall are also better, crisp cool air, and low lying fog burning off makes for great scenery.
    While it was only 28 degrees at liftoff, that torch throws some intense heat..  He said if we went during summer we would be sweating our azz off..

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 15:57:03 (permalink)
    A lucky man it is you are!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 16:03:34 (permalink)
    HT, my town has a yearly festival. They launch  a couple hundred yards from my house. I had one crash in my yard a few years back. No one hurt, just some deflated egos.  As you know, I live in some pretty terrain, if you are ever interested, you have a place to stay or a nice spot to stick the camper.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 16:23:28 (permalink)
    Cool thanks Charlie :
    We went out of Argyle, yes lots of great looking country, sans some industrial back in glens falls.
    My next door neighbor is also a Balloonist , B&B and authorized balloon repair service, our pilot was recommended by him because he was booked all season, into next year as well..
    For sure next year we are going to go catch some of the festivals.. Ever since I was a kid riding the school bus , I was always in awe of the floating hot air balloons .. The field next to our school was named  "Balloon fields" ..  

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/01 17:13:53 (permalink)
    Neat.  My wife always wanted to do this. 
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Up Up and Away 2015/11/02 08:03:46 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Thanks for sharing those thoughts DarDys,While I never did the fighter jet thing, it had to be a rush.

The plane was flown over Afghanastan by the USSR as a recon. The guys that bought it were retired Navy fighter pilot instructors.

Since it had two sets of controls, he would demonstrate a move and if you didn't puke (which luckiliy I didn't)!you got to do the move.

There were a few rules though -- nothing over 500 knots, nothing closer to the ocean that 200 feet, and don't go outside the territorial water bouys because the aircraft return signal is still Soviet and we didn't need jets from Key West or Homestead to come see what we were.

Did inside loops, flew straight up from 1000 to 5000, rolled it, and flew upside down until the alarms sounded.

Didn't eat or drink for the rest of the day due to burping air.

The balloon was a tad more peaceful.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: