HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ====

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/23 10:58:45 (permalink)

HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ====

This morning I had a hunting buddy in the blind with me. Our barn cat "Willy Robertson" followed me to the blind and wanted inside to cuddle and nap before he went hunting and he was more successful than me. He got to chase a red squirrel, a chipmunk, and finally manger to catch a mouse, which he had to bring back for me to see. Maybe I need lessons from him on hunting.....

14 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/23 20:30:32 (permalink)
    Gotta love a good hunting companion, though he needs to read up on etiquette, since he shouldn't out hunt his host! LOL
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/24 19:14:41 (permalink)
    I was in the blind for over an HOUR this evening after work when I suddenly heard the "meow" and there he was again , wanted in, curled up on my lap and slept for a hour !!!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/24 20:09:59 (permalink)
    They have an incredible ability to find a warm spot to nap, and great memories, so expect his company on a regular basis.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/24 22:26:49 (permalink)
    Kind of an emergency ration/hand warmer-that ya don't have to  have to carry.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/24 22:44:31 (permalink)
    Fisherlady2
    Gotta love a good hunting companion, though he needs to read up on etiquette, since he shouldn't out hunt his host! LOL

Yeah but, Doc did say he brought back his kill to share.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/25 00:59:50 (permalink)
    Yep, cats are 'nice' that way....they love sharing their prizes! We have one who has brought in weasels, rabbits, and snakes! On top of the almost daily rodent quota!
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/25 16:17:18 (permalink)
    Yea feral cats kill a lot of rabbits as do outside cats. I'm not fan of cats unless their owners keep them full time in their house. I don't let my beagles run a large to kill baby rabbits year round. Woods cats vanish around here, coyote must get them. The humane society has a  trap neuter release program for feral cats,makes little sense to me. They are also a huge supporter to anti hunting groups.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/26 09:35:53 (permalink)
    Kind of like the hand warmer idea ..  thanks !!!

Willy is a good hunter, he is best by far at killing mice, which is great because nothing can destroy good quality hay like a bunch of mice...

any good recipes for mice ????

he is only 14 months old, and for the first time as a male we had him fixed hoping to keep him from wondering like those before ....  so far it seems to be working ..at least no rabbits or parts of them ....

so far its been 2 red squirrels ( those rascals disappear around here like big tuna's feral cats ... coyotes I'm sure), 4 chipmunks, countless voles and mice.. sometime several in a day !!
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/26 14:25:16 (permalink)
    Enjoy Willy's company no matter others say, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My cat walks around the yard with me everyday on a leash and rides in the truck with no problems except the occasional rubberneck. I'm in my mid sixties and was a dog person all my life but now I find myself a cat person and their killing side who am I to argue with God's design. Enjoy your hunting buddy!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/26 18:22:06 (permalink)
    My complaint isn't so much with barn cats or house pets as it is with the people who won't take care of their own mess when they end up with more than they want. They take them for a ride in the country and make their problem our problem then whine because they don't like our solution.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/26 19:12:21 (permalink)
    That is a statement I cannot argue with!! Had a school tea her living next to me, her husband worked for the gas company. Got a kitten for their kids, got all the shots had him fixed and declared. They moved cats still here. Comes here every morning to feed but does not want to come inside, been almost 2 yrs and he still hangs around his old house waiting for his family to return.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/26 19:40:11 (permalink)
    S-10
    My complaint isn't so much with barn cats or house pets as it is with the people who won't take care of their own mess when they end up with more than they want. They take them for a ride in the country and make their problem our problem then whine because they don't like our solution.

Very true, all of our cats have been strays who were found (or found us) in some level of distress or poor condition. I can't blame the poor 4 legged animal for what an ignorant 2 legged animal did. Many have had to be put down for health or safety reasons, others have been fixed and lived out their time in rather comfy conditions...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/27 18:02:44 (permalink)
    walleye jigs ...

thanks for the reply ... I must admit I have been thinking about how Willy would do riding with me in the truck .. may just give it a try now !!!!

I too was always a dog person, we had a black lab that went EVERYWHERE with me .. what a smart and wonderful dog. We had him for 15 years and after he had to leave this world I have not been able to think about replacing him, so we went with house cats (3) a barn cat, one horse, and a racing pigeon...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2015/10/27 18:04:11
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: HUNTING WITH WILLY ROBERTSON ==== 2015/10/28 09:56:34 (permalink)
    Chances are Willy will take to it as easy as Cotton did. However be prepared for people who will complain about whip lash from the double take looks. Had planned to teach Cotton to ride in the boat with me, thought he might enjoy a little cat fishing but a stroke in the boat may me sale the boat. I have 4 inside cats and 2/outside cats that adopted me and I enjoy spending time with them all.
    Jump to: