Never again on Lake George

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/21 13:36:15 (permalink)

Never again on Lake George

ok so yesterday the family wanted to do a boat trip.. At first we were going to go to the Hawk but I decided lets just bite the bullet, pay the high price rip off and shake the boat down for the upcoming season and do Lake George..
Off we went , wife, daughter, grandson and bro-inlaw .. Paid the $47.50 to launch and park at Norwal marine in Bolton landing (right next to Vets). The lake was beautiful, somewhat busy and by around 2 pm became just like the rollers on Lake Ontario eventually giving way to genuine 3' whitecaps..
We trolled riggers on bottom for lakers in the areas around dome island with not even a sniff for a few hrs.. Noticed one of the down riggers was acting sluggish and making a funky noise on retrieval, (which we will need chief engineers help in addressing that issue) so bro-inlaw said lets pull up all that gear and go catch some fish by flat lining in shallower water around the islands.. Threw on some stick baits and started hammering the Smallies.. Many doubles and couldn't keep the lines in the water fast enough, the grandson had a blast.. So it started getting late and the lake was getting ugly . Around 6pm the wife had enough and we headed for the launch..
We get there and it was strangely deserted.. I walk up and see this locked chain across the launch with my truck sitting on the other side, WTF !!! , they locked us in and my truck out !!! We called the number on the ticket and no answer, we called other marinas and no answer ,, if it was just me I woulda just stayed o the boat and dealt with it this morning but the wife wanted OUT !!!
I see these dudes hanging out at the next marina (by vets) drinking beer and asked where I can get out.. He says well I can help but it will cost $100.00 to get you out down by hearthstone .. I'm like dude really ? Well I got $50.00 in my pocket and he says OK, I'll take the fifty and let you out but you gotta drive down the lake by hearthstone.. The Wife wanted OUT !!!
Off they go with the truck and down the lake I go into the whitecaps pounding the boat (good test for Lake O) with the wipers on..
Just as it was getting dark I find the private launch and we get the Daisy Mae back on the trailer and off that lake..

This morning the wife calls Norwal marina and tells them the story and they give her a hard time by saying they close at 5:30, well the permit they gave us says they close at 8:00pm.
After some choice words by her they agreed it was their mistake by not telling us 5:30 was their spring hrs (WTF it's summer now) and they refunded us the $47.50..
On the way home I remembered that I had a hacksaw on board and shoulda cut the friggin chain, at least bro-inlaw gave the security camera a good dose of the single finger peace sign !!
I swear  I will NEVER, EVER put my boat in that lake again !!!!

Next weekend will be a new adventure as the boat hits the Little Salmon river marina for the season..
I have come to the conclusion that my boat will only fish and dock at 2 places from now on, Yannis on the Mighty Hudson and Mikes marina on the Great Lake Ontario, **** all the rest, we shall use another vessel if we chose other water bodies..

Happy Fathers Day to all

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

8 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 14:04:32 (permalink)
    You can buy a LOT of salmon steak for that kind of launch fee! 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 14:17:45 (permalink)
    Well that really sucks Rich,what a way to end the day of boating!
    Is n't there a free public launch on that lake???
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 14:35:38 (permalink)
    What a hoax... A boat launch that costs near 50 bucks and closes at 530??? And then some a-hole asking for $100 at first and then instantly taking 50??? Sounds like a snob lake!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 17:11:18 (permalink)
    pafisher
    Well that really sucks Rich,what a way to end the day of boating!
    Is n't there a free public launch on that lake???

Free launch is 25 miles down lake in village.. Opens 6am, closes 7pm, parking for 20 vehicles and is a waiting line at 5:30am..

dimebrite2
    What a hoax... A boat launch that costs near 50 bucks and closes at 530??? And then some a-hole asking for $100 at first and then instantly taking 50??? Sounds like a snob lake!!!

Totally a SNOB lake after ice out if you own a motor boat .. AWESOME free place to walk on water.. I will always continue to take advantage of the free resource..

I love and am very grateful of the resource and opportunities that Oswego county offers.. Summers up there may very well be and become my favorite area in NYS.. The Folks, , landscape  , sunsets and Great Lake are just so enjoyable and folks are helpful .. I got it pretty good here but I'm in envy of you folks ...
    5 days and counting !!!

post edited by hot tuna - 2015/06/21 17:12:27

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 22:08:22 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear but that place is the biggest rip off. They want everyone's money but don't want you on their precious lake. Went there once and that was plenty for me.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/21 22:22:09 (permalink)
    It truly is a beautiful lake .. I love it and always will on the ice.. Sadly it left a sour taste for us on the open water as it has in the past..
    Thankfully there are plenty of fine water bodies in NYS that welcome a working man.. Owning a bigger boat has opened some eyes in the past year..  Schroon and points north are still gems..
    I'm moving my gear and business west to the eastern basin sat morning though ..

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/22 07:37:00 (permalink)
    Tuna you nailed it bud... Its a poor man's paradise. Let's hope it stays that way. Hard work is a staple up here. Despite what a lot of people say from the skin deep vision they have when snagging away on the river, this area is filled with hard working people who are just like you said, willing and able to help in anyway even if they just met you. See ya soon bud
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Never again on Lake George 2015/06/23 21:52:56 (permalink)
    HT-Sorry to hear of your nightmarish day on the Queen of American lakes, Lake George.  As a kid I used to vacation at No-Ro-Wal in Bolton Landing.  The slobs (us) and the snobs a few feet away on Sagamore Island.  I loved vacationing there but what did I know I was just a pre teen happy to be swimming, fishing and canoeing on those gin clear waters.   
    Jump to: