2015/05/11 20:01:38 (permalink)

split grip rods?

any comments or ideas about these?  

6 Replies Related Threads

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 07:32:01 (permalink)
    June 29, 2010
    The biggest advantage to using a split-grip rod over other rod handles is weight savings.  By cutting away some of the cork or other grip material, the rod becomes lighter and more sensitive.  Tackle shops and retail catalogues offer a wide array of rod configurations and lengths for just about any style of fishing, be it drop-shot, wacky style, tube jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits -- you get the idea.  It is full-contact between your hand and the rod for both spinning and trigger grips.
    Some manufacturers have virtually eliminated the foregrip (the handle part in front of the reel) allowing anglers more contact with the rod blank through the open handle space provided by the split- grip design.  One aspect of split-grip rods that may mean changing your outfit is in the realm of reel and rod balance.
    The reel chosen for the seven foot medium-heavy rod with full cork handle may be too heavy when attached to the comparable seven foot medium-heavy split-grip rod.  Check the balance by suspending the rod and reel on one finger in front of the handle.  The rod should hang perfectly straight.
    Another technique to try for greater sensitivity with split-grip or conventional rods is gripping the rod with one finger in front of the foregrip.  That finger is connected directly with the rod blank and the line.  The slightest tick will radiate down the rod and hit your finger.
    An inexpensive solution to weight-forward rods and reel combos is a rod butt cap.  Put a few quarters in the cap and then attach it to the butt of your rod.  The added weight will help balance out the rod for a more comfortable rig.

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 07:36:23 (permalink)
    Found this for you in case you're interested.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 08:27:51 (permalink)
    thanks, pike.  old dogs like me have a hard time with change but i noticed more and more of these are appearing at the local sporting goods stores in my area.

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 10:24:52 (permalink)
    the way I hold a rod my hand is pretty much on the reel seat only. 2 fingers in front and 2 behind the stem of my spinning reel. Like in the post above I think weight saving would be the biggest difference I see. But then again I feel you'll lose a bit of balance without the weight in the rear making it possibly feel a bit tip heavy. IMO they're mostly about looks and trying to catch more fishermen rather than more fish.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 11:35:37 (permalink)
    I did not care for the ones I have tried to date.  They all feel good without a reel on them.  My problem is most of the steelhead/walleye rods I have seem to be tip heavy when I put the reel on the outfit.  I have 2 different set ups.  On one i have all most 2 ounces of a bottom bouncer weight epoxied inside the rod butt bottom so it balances half way decent.  I am assuming the split grip rod would require even more lead.

I do have a kunnan rod with a 4000 size shimano that balances well without any lead the way it is and it has the full grip.
    If your looking at buying one with the the split grip I would take the reel you intend to use along to see how it will balance. 
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: split grip rods? 2015/05/12 13:33:04 (permalink)
    I like the look of less cork
    Jump to: