Favorites For Bass

Author
Salty
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/24 19:47:28 (permalink)

Favorites For Bass

Im thinking about BASS, Smallies, Large.... New to fresh water and its time to start gearing up for the warmer months. What are everybodies favorite lures,jig sizes,plastics,spinners or baits to use? Ill be doing most of my fishing from shore. If your talking plastics and or crankbaits what colors work best for what water conditions? I got my rod and reel. Spooled with #10 PLine copolymer, is that strong enough?

Attached Image(s)

Hear My Train A Comin

24 Replies Related Threads

Salty
    New Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/24 19:49:15 (permalink)
    And somebody please tell me how to upload pics here... I cant even use an avatar...HELP PLEASE

Hear My Train A Comin
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/24 19:58:07 (permalink)
    To post pics Salty, you need to first download them online...somewhere like here in the photo album or photobucket.com When you have done that, simply add this into your thread... [img]post the link in between with no spaces[/img]
    Avatars are tuff since they need to be a certain size...you may need to downsize yours.  PM me if you have further questions, I'd be glad to help you out if I can.

jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/24 20:54:50 (permalink)
    Where will you be fishin? Or what area?
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 07:14:54 (permalink)
    i shrunk a picture in photobucket dowm to avatar size, which link do i copy? i've been trying the 3rd one down and it doesn't work. the ''img''s are in uppercase should they be in lower? maybe that could be a new thread. ''how to post a picture''.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 08:08:58 (permalink)
    I would recommend 3 and 4 inch tube jigs.  I use these from spring through fall and have great success.  My favorite color is pumpkin.  It's obviously pumpkin colored with little black dots on it.  It looks just like a crayfish swimming through the water.  I rig them weedless and usually use as little weight as possible unless the bass are holding in deeper water.  Give it a shot.  In general I think any soft plastic used correctly will produce bass but the tube jigs are my number one choice.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 08:12:22 (permalink)
    10# line should be fine for bass fishing unless your fishing heavy vegetation.  Personally I use 12# spiderwire triple XXX.  Extremely strong and casts great.  By the way if tubes aren't working try a double bladed spinnerbait.  White or chartruese. 
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 09:42:10 (permalink)
    your most consistant shore action will come from fishing rivers and streams for smallies.  in PA almost all moving water, not polluted, will have smallies in them.  for gear a medium power, med/fast to fast actrion rod with a 200 or 300 sized reel wiil do nicely.  the 10 lb pline is good, others like fusion or braid or straight mono, that's a personal thing.  as for lures soft plastics are king, grubs, tubes, worms, minnows are will all work.  as for color grean pumpkin is probably the most consiostant but at times other colors work better so have a variety of dark, light and bright colors, to start black, white, chartreus, watermelon, smoke.  also stickbaits can be very productive.  i use rapala a lot.  i also like some yozuri stuff like pin minnow and glass minows, many other people like the lucky craft bandits and pointers.  the rebel craw is a must as are tiny torpedos, zara puppy, pop r, spinner baits and buzzbaits.

that should get you started.  oh and also check out http://forums.riversmallies.com/forums/ great smallie forum.
    Salty
    New Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 09:56:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys, I live near the airport so I can fish almost anywhere. But as to specific spots, Ive been asking myself the same question. I suppose Ill be doing alot around the peninsulabut being new to the areaI need to know where the hot spots are...

Hear My Train A Comin
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 12:09:37 (permalink)
    The hotspots are everywhere. Until the grass over takes the bay in the summer, you can catch bass anywhere you walk out. Wade until about knee to waste deep and you'll catch fish.

Presque Isle is one of the best bass fisheries on the planet. They don't get as big as down south, but you can catch a bunch of 1-2 pounders. Spring time you can catch smallies wading off of Perry's Monument on any kind of jigs or tubes.

Here's an average spring smallie for the bay...

post edited by mikeg - 2008/01/25 12:15:14

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 13:24:38 (permalink)
    In the bay, although with a boat, I love to use jerkbaits for smallies either in the flats or on that drop off out from the monument. Otherwise a jighead with a twister tail or a rat-l-trap usually works great for me.
    FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 16:11:56 (permalink)
    Giant Poppers and Gurglers. All black, tied on # 2 to 1/0. "WHAM" !!!

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 19:21:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

The hotspots are everywhere. Until the grass over takes the bay in the summer, you can catch bass anywhere you walk out. Wade until about knee to waste deep and you'll catch fish.

Presque Isle is one of the best bass fisheries on the planet. They don't get as big as down south, but you can catch a bunch of 1-2 pounders. Spring time you can catch smallies wading off of Perry's Monument on any kind of jigs or tubes.

Here's an average spring smallie for the bay...

smale dUud

LOL
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 20:44:28 (permalink)
    Salty,
     Your killing me with all the questions! Stop by the shop first week in May a couple angler friends and my self are going to crush the IGFA small mouth bass line class records and your invited.

Andy
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 21:09:22 (permalink)
    Some of the best smallmouth bass fishing in the state is in the Conequenessing Creek, better known as the ConyCLEANessing.  Have any of you guys fished it?  In the mid eighties, it was dubbed one of the top 25 creeks for smallmouth in the nation believe it or not.  The size of fish is nowhere near that of Erie, but the numbers are pretty impressive.

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 22:35:15 (permalink)
    Shutup,
    Never fished cony hear tell it's good, however I believe French creek between Wattsburgh and the Union city dam holds the biggest inland small mouth in the state. Put in just before the rt. 8-89 split and pull out at the dam, its a all day float but the bass fishing is second to none. And is fished by very few, reason being no access to most parts of that creek and heavy brush along the banks.

Andy
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/25 23:13:01 (permalink)
    I have been blessed with an opportunity to fish northcentral PA for bass this spring and summer.   Spent the day traveling the clearfield county looking for spots.   I really cannot wait!  Not much snow around here!

Also have a nice heard of deer and flock of turkeys to target.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/28 14:29:28 (permalink)
    Do not underestimate the spinnerbait, a big oklahoma or colorado blade has proven sucessfull for me year after year, youll even grab a pike if they are laying around.  Booyah just came out with a new boogie bait.  I am growing very fond of this bait.  The hook is attached with a cable so the bass have a hard time throwing it.  The bass tend to love a simple minnow rap as well, regular perch or craw colors will crush any day. You can use your standard soft plastics or jigs for the weeds but i recoomend getting yourself a arbogast jitterbug for the weedy shallows, even on hard days this will produce a few on topwater.
    Salty
    New Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/29 11:05:17 (permalink)
    Now that sounds like my kind of action Andy, I just need some dates so I can be sure and be there. Where did ya think I'd go to get the strait poop after I got all the fact and fiction worked out from here?

Hear My Train A Comin
    muskie500
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/29 15:00:52 (permalink)
    Salty,
       One thing you can gather from all of these posts is that P.I Bay is full of bass and almost any variety of tackle will catch you fish.  Top water, spinners, jigs and tubes all work really well it just depends on the conditions like water clarity, how calm it is and how much weed has accumulated in the bay.  If your fishing from the shore you should concentrate on the head of the bay, the areas just east and west of water works, marina lake, perry's monument and the lagoons.  If I were you though and really wanted to catch some bass I would gather up about 700 bucks and go ask the greek how to catch em, youll end up with at least ten lures and I gurantee atleast one of them will work!
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/29 19:33:54 (permalink)
    If you want GREAT fun wade the Allegheny. They say it is the best it's ever been and getting better, and I totally agree. You never know what you are going to get there! I'm deffinently not taking anything away from the other creeks or streams but the River is just bigger and very senic once you start to head north. As RIZ said, a rebel craw is a MUST. They are the single best lure in the river(not counting live bait).Crayfish and minnow work great to. Hellgramites are almost automatic though and last a few fish.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/01/29 22:30:01 (permalink)
    The most scenic river for smallmouth bass has to be the clarion river during a warm summer day, above cooksburgh. wade in the middle and cast towards the boulders and deep holes along the bank. the most scenic part are the college cuties in their string bikinis coasting down stream in a canoe. you can get the same effect canoing down the river casting towards those same boulders with tanned beauties basking on the flat rocks.
    one mid-day of catching trout and smallmouth in the middle of the clarion a canoe came by and the kid inside gave me a bottle of beer. i was already out there for about 4 hours catching fish and he hands me a cold beer on his way down the river!!! now that's the life.. 
    oh ya, rebel craws for the spinning guys, brown wooly buggers for the fly guys.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/02/01 15:29:25 (permalink)
    Banjo Minnow!
    GreeneGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/02/04 13:32:41 (permalink)
    Largemouth-Texas rig with 4-6" worm or lizard, color depending upon conditions, farm ponds, or around the weedbeds and stumps on lakes
    Smallmouth-Rapala minnies, anything that imitates a crawdad, or a medium sized crawdad itself fished on bottom, basically any small stream river.  Never fished the lake for either, I hear the smallmouth are gigantic in Erie however.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    RE: Favorites For Bass 2008/02/04 22:30:49 (permalink)
    They are...
    Jump to: