11/16/14

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/16 18:21:17 (permalink)

11/16/14

I worked yesterday so I slept in again. I got to the water at around 0730. There was a decent spot in the  faster water up there.  It was SLOOOOW. There were only 2 other guys above the root and one below so space was not an issue. I fished until 1230. The guys across from me got 3 or 4 on and landed 2. The guys above me hooked a few , but could not get them to stick. I managed 1 in the net and a few others on. After the guys above me left I had the whole stretch to myself and I moved up to the sweet spot in the rifles. I only managed one hook up there, but man what a rocket. Hit the sucker spawn and raced right towards me, putting slot of slack in the line, then as fast as a silver bullet it was leaping through the air up near the rock almost to the backing. Managed to get it fairly close, but it was not to be. After that I noticed that my welded loop on my line was un welded and the line was just held by the loop. Performed my first stream side nail knot with a tool I found on the ground last year and it was a success. I fished a little longer with one head shake. My broken toe is keeping me close and not wandering slot, but the cold water helps. Water is getting colder and I think they will transition soon.
I think there may be an issue with my day off on Wednesday as the weather does not look good.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

3 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: 11/16/14 2014/11/17 09:22:03 (permalink)
    Glad you got out and connected even if they came off for the most part.  We have fish down here in Rachacha, Saturday I had one hello and goodbye with the explosion of bright at the surface that confirms steel, and about 15 minutes later, a second light take that I hit 4 or 5 times hard, to be greeted by a flyline-long run downstream and a lot of surface thrashing in the riffs across the river from me.  As I was standing on a large rock that does not forgive jumps or missteps when excuted by the aging, I tried to work the fish back up, and she was coming along nicely, when she took another downstream run and crossed back to my side, nearly to shore where she did a quick spin and came unbuttoned.  Only saw one other fish hooked by a  pinner on Saturday.  Yesterday I only got a couple of hours, but I need the exercise so I took the 1/2 mile hike into the gorge, but just for the exercise. Saw one caught on the other side by a pinner, almost no one down there, though.  Still a lot of salmon around, males that are showing but there was a pile of fresh eggs on the landing for the stairs up by the plant. Also saw two chromers slashing shad at the surface. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a thaw for thanksgiving!

Be careful out there if you are driving, it looks a lot like Christmas outside my window already.

L13  
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: 11/16/14 2014/11/17 16:51:29 (permalink)
    I'd take that day to the bank, Clint. Glad you got out and landed one.
    " Mr. S., take some Ibuprofen for pain for that broken toe and I suggest regular sessions of winter steelheading".    That's some cool physical therapy. I'm postponing til Thursday. I worked in an incredibly cold rain today. To say it sucked is an understatement.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: 11/16/14 2014/11/17 18:11:17 (permalink)
    I think you will be better off. The forecast for tomorrow was moved it north a bit, but who knows Tuesday night and Wednesday, we will see.......   I i can make it out I will.  Sadly Charlie I cannot take ibuprofen due to the surgery, but I have some other pills if it gets too bad.  the cold water makes it numb after a while so the pain is bearable until it warms up..

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Jump to: