New Proposed Regs

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/16 11:59:35 (permalink)

New Proposed Regs

I was going through my normal DEC reviews and came across these proposed Regulations for 2015.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/99147.html
Most seemed normal but one threw me off.
Without any other details that I could find, what does this mean to you ? Does it mean db gets his wish..lol

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

19 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 12:30:26 (permalink)
    Just don't seem it would fly.  So banning all weight on the line????? Float and center pin people Would be done.  Spin fisherman done.   You need a little weight. 

Here is what I found
    Existing clause 10.2(c)(1)(ii)(f) is amended to read as follows:
    (f) [For tributaries located in Oswego and Cayuga Counties] With the exception of Lake Erie tributaries, weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook, artificial fly or lure when the line or leader is suspended vertically from the rod.[ This prohibition shall also apply from September 1st through November 30th in the Genesee River (Monroe County) from the Driving Park Bridge upstream to the Lower Falls.]

Would be nice to just limit the whole river to 1/4ounce

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 13:16:29 (permalink)
    I don't get it??? Expand??? What does this mean???
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 13:19:15 (permalink)
    Clint, a lot of guys on oswego use a drop shot rig in which the weight is lower than the hook so egg sac is always elevated when weight is on bottom. Tunas finding definitely sounds like a grey area... Have no time to research myself right now though.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 13:21:15 (permalink)
    That would be nuts if thats for real... If its true I'd say they are conspiring to turn it in to an Atlantic fishery
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 16:08:23 (permalink)
    If they are DB they are heading for a ticket. From 9/1 to 3/31 this is the current reg.

Leaders and Weights

• The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet.
    • In addition, when the above special tributary regulations are in effect for Lake Ontario tributaries in Oswego and Cayuga Counties, and the Genesee River (Monroe County) from the Driving Park Bridge upstream to the Lower Falls: weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook, artificial fly or lure when the line or leader is suspended vertically from the rod. 
       The proposed change is  "with the exception of Lake Erie tributaries"

I did see the page HT Posted from, but this is all I got from the "official " DEC site.

Good news on the ice though.  They changed it to 7 lines total any Combo.   This will eliminate the
    "what is a tip up" gray area.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 16:15:37 (permalink)
    Yea I like the new ice reg change to 7, it makes it simple.
    As for the weight, I figured it would be an amendment towards the current " no weight " in place for the zones which start on May-1 thru aug -15 . No ?

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 17:21:27 (permalink)
    When following the links to the wording of the changes of the regs I find only what I posted above. 
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/98481.html

Right above that change it states that jig and flies with no more than 1/8 are allowed, clarifying jigs are allowed.
    Could it be for the zones, maybe,  but even your link  says ALL tribes.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 17:36:57 (permalink)
    I just got confirmation from a quick call to the DEC. It seems they have fielded quite a few calls and e mails about this.  it is indeed, just to prohibit weight below the hook on all tributaries  for Oswego and Cayuga counties and a portion of the Genesee river.  she stated that this is a popular way to foul hook fish and changed the regulation  on the suggestion of their officers.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 17:40:26 (permalink)
    Dam, no more drop shot rippin'. Spoil all the fun. I just bought 300 black estaz 1/o's from a dude from Ohio, too....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 18:26:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the investigation Clint . I just ran across it today on a weekly view of the dec site and thought that reg was strange. Had little to no time to investigate Furthur and wish there was a little better description to the proposal.
    Charlie,
    The whalers in the estuary always snelled then looped the hook point in a straight line of their 1/0 hooks about 4-6' up with a 3/4 oz weight hanging on the bottom .
    I been around the block a little while db;)

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 21:45:10 (permalink)
    In all honesty I've seen old timers do very well with that method for browns and rainbows in oswego. No skin off my back though... Never tried it and never planned on it.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 21:47:22 (permalink)
    Not 4-6' though... More like weight 12-18" below hook/egg sac
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 22:01:36 (permalink)
    It's all good man. I learned from the best of the best on the tricks of the trade many years ago bro.
    Oswego was a great place for what you call drop shot method . Drop it straight down over the wall and lift it straight up like it was shot out of a gun.
    Not busting your balls , just making funny on some of the methods and why we now have so many regulations in place today.
    Remember when a 24" leader was mandatory ?

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 22:23:24 (permalink)
    When was that ??? For two years only I believe... 94 and 95???
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/16 22:33:25 (permalink)
    Ah it was in the early 80's . Maybe 81.
    I couldn't figure out why other then trying to prevent snagging when it was actually legal.
    You HAD to have a 24" leader and your weight couldn't be closer then 24" but as far away as you wished was fine.
    I was a steelheader back then anyways and the salmon circus scared me away, funny thing is they do now too

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/17 05:36:44 (permalink)
    Ahhh, I started in 90 so that's well before my time. I do recall some leader regulation changes in middle 90's though. We used to use long leaders (when it was allowed still) as it was a highlighted technique in a steelhead fishing with ultra light tackle. Will say with proper approach it was an effective rig especially in winter months. Here ya with the salmon crowds scaring you away. Honestly the steelhead crowd is kinda scaring me away these days. Granted my two children and life responsibilities limit my fishing a lot these days, but I find myself not wanting to go even when I can go at times. Its just not worth the Hassel at times. We'll see what this steelhead season brings. My boy will be eight this march and he has really gotten all aspects of casting with a spinning and fly rod down as well as drifting and even detanglement and knot tying...i'm looking forward to taking him trout fishing this spring. My daughter's favorite fish is a rainbow trout... Hope to get her out this steelhead season on a warmer day at an easy spot. She's been asking me since the summer "dad is it rainbow season yet?" My steelhead season will be made if my don hooks one up. He's ready I think
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/17 05:58:21 (permalink)
    One of my highlights was my boy walking in to the lfz as an 8 year old and landing 2 steelhead in front of all the snaggers that were working the run.

Clint that was the day what's her name was telling you about.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/17 07:28:35 (permalink)
    I still tie a snell knot to the shank and then loop the leader through the eye  for early salmon bait fishing. How else do you hold a golf ball size wad of snotty skein on the hook!   I'll be rigging  couple tonight if my daughter wants to take a hike tomorrow, skein is lot cheaper than rapalas, both of which are working great in the Genny right now. Or, if we get the rain that is forecast, one of the little ditches for some browns could be fun, but then she can use the flyrod.

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: New Proposed Regs 2014/10/17 07:41:17 (permalink)
    13, I do the same often for riffle fishing early salmon down low but with glo bug yarn. Steel destroy it when they're present down there. Use colors varying from orange pink chartruese red or purple... Snell knot is the best knot IMO...
    Jump to: