t

[
post edited by twobob - 2014/12/17 18:40:07

12 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/12 18:41:00 (permalink)
    I try to stay away this weekend. Finished my wood for inside and have about another cord or so to stack outside and I am done.  Gonna put in some time next week  before I go back to work. I have hooked a few steel , but yet to land one. I wanna get on the board for steel before I go back.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/12 19:06:36 (permalink)
    Clint, I know you mentioned flesh flies. I had two steel on with them. Another option. Git er done! I wish I could be your net man.   I couldn't believe last years luck , going up this very day  and finding huge space and willing Kings for a whole afternoon. The clowns must have all been plum tuckered from too  many performances. I don't miss the crowds, but the fishing, yes. Big Time!!!!!!!  Have a productive week to all. Hope you swing some more  up, 2B. Really liked the flies you showed. They were Clowntastic! Not. in. the. least.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 12:47:50 (permalink)
    Over the long weekend party my friends and fellow fishers discussed the priorities of our future fishing adventures .
    Some are just amazed at the resource and opportunities of the SR/ Ontario tribs .
    All agree however they prefer the solitude and sense of adventure that the other fisheries New York State has to offer over the big fish lure.
    We already decided to make the ADK's our fall adventures over the circus conditions of a salmon river .
    Now granted they/ we still wish to catch salmon, steel and browns and at a 50/50 split between table fare and recreation but will do so out on the Daisy Mae in the Great Lake .
    After 35 years it has been a long time coming but I surly see my SR river days numbered to less then 5 fingers .
    I hope any contributions to a SR forum are not just old has been stuff and future adventures still welcomed .
    Will try ( sorry I blew it this season ) as much as possible to continue to share water with all the good folks I have met here along the long strange trip it's been.
    All are always welcome to join the ride that the golden road may lead me .
    Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 12:52:43 (permalink)
    Season's not over,  For some of us it is just getting started, will go on until the conditions get too bad for driving.

L13 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 13:02:17 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Season's not over,  For some of us it is just getting started, will go on until the conditions get too bad for driving. L13 

Or the lakes freeze .
    Heck I went 18 weeks straight walking on water starting 12-5 last year .. Coulda made 20 but wife put the hammer down .
    House is complete ( finally ) so I'm free to roam this year:)
    Yup, seasons just starting.. Freezer to fill of red meat then fish to pull through a hole. Stripers will be here before I know it and the Daisy Mae will be riding the Great Lake again.
    L-13 , fishing never ends, it just transforms

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 17:48:38 (permalink)
    j
    post edited by twobob - 2014/12/17 18:39:00
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 19:43:57 (permalink)
    Would have to guess there are some fish in that area and those guys are getting good drifts at them...........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/13 22:59:49 (permalink)
    I hope you had your tongue in cheek, Clint!

I broke the ice on fall salmonid fishing this afternoon with a short hike into the Genny, swung the spey rod for a few minutes because the 8 weight had a flyrod hula popper on it, then changed out that rod to a Skykomish , and on about the 10th drift, latched on to a fish that looked bright enough to be a steelhead , but was far too large and heavy, 85 feet out on the first run and down into the fast water, worked down, but when she went again, I looked at the spool and realized she was almost into the backing, and as the line left the rod tip, it left the backing behind, the knot shattered on the tip top.  Now my quandary is I am supposed to go to Pulaski on Wednesday, but if I buy a replacement line, I'm broke for the trip.  But if I don't buy a replacement line....

I saw a number of very fresh kings (no fungus, still some silver) going out on ropes, and what had to be two steelhead for the brightness from across the river, that had converted to Amish.  They did not have the characteristic beard and straw hat, but their brethren that were dragging them to heaven did! 

I think things are just late this year!

L13
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/14 03:41:38 (permalink)
    There were salmon pushed over there all the way up to the wire.
    Some looked pretty clean so I think they had been beaten so badly (over played and the mishandled only to be over played again) that they couldn't handle the current.

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/14 09:59:01 (permalink)
    I had a great week end...took some long walks, caught some fish, enjoyed time with friends and the great out doors.
    I even played with the circus clowns at the tressle and sportsmens alittle
    forgot to wear my big red nose though

wishin i was fishin
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/14 13:04:31 (permalink)
    I liked that hole a lot better when the trees were still in just below the sand bank and to get to the pines just below the wire you had to wade tight against the bank and still be well above the waste deep in stagnant water. The guy all the way upstream looks like he was surprised by a fish that may have been in route behind him. Before that head of pool filled in the fish used to stay active longer in to the day as they couldn't get pressured as much as they do now
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: tales from the big top 2014/10/14 16:44:21 (permalink)
    There were fish there today too, action was good up there in the am then fizzled out.

Jump to: