IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/04 20:29:32 (permalink)

IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got confirmation that it was on in the DSR today . The first big push has come.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

28 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/04 20:56:15 (permalink)
    ALRIGHT........I'm on my way!!

Wait...... what......... wrong board??...... heh heh...... sorry.... thought Clint was talking about the eyes of Pymie.:-\

GO GET EM CLINT...... FISH ON!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/04 21:07:22 (permalink)
    I hope all the slob lifters that have been crowding the LFZ go down river to the town pool and ball park and stay there!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/04 22:03:14 (permalink)
    Gonna miss it . May those fish all frequent the secret spot just for pafisher ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/04 22:13:49 (permalink)
    Gonna wait  a few days till they get above the conga lines.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 07:38:59 (permalink)
    DSR post confirms that they ran pretty good. Dime's post on the Facebook did not state a huge run, but they were into fish.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 08:30:36 (permalink)
    Jack paid a little dues and now for the payoff.  They still may be trickling in the end of the month , along with some more trout. Good luck to all who make it out this round.  I hope some keep trickling in and spread fish throughout the river.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 09:01:13 (permalink)
    Hope the fish  continue like ya say Charlie. Would be nice to have some cold water upriver kings into Nov.
    Hope all you fisherfolks can get up and have some decent fishing.
    Might be that a lot of unfortunate folks have already used their vacation time and after a couple of weeks it isn't as crowded as during an earlier run.
    Report says they are still coming in this  morning.( likely ran all night IMHO)
    Good luck-----
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/05 10:41:33
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 17:35:00 (permalink)
    Good luck this week jack give them hell. Clint enjoy the last week off wish I could be there but back to reality for me till next month
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 19:51:10 (permalink)
    Well the DSR reported a slow in action today.
    It was on as far as getting stuff done today. Got my 15th cord of wood in, just need my emergency 2 stacked and I am set.

Plow truck from hell hit me today. Smog pump seized and shredded the belt. Need to take the alternator off to change it. Bolt head stripped out. Welded multiple nuts on and it finally broke off. ENDED UP CUTTING THE ALTERNATOR OFF with a sawzall. On to the smog pump, same scenario, bolts stripped and broke CUT THAT THING OFF TOO.  Took the aluminum bracket off that holds it all on with all the broken bolts in it.  Buddy will take it to work and heat it with a torch and try to save it, if not need a new one. Hopefully I can reroute the belt to eliminate the pump. Hate putting money in it, but the driveway will not clear itself. My buddy did all the heavy stuff so he bailed me out big time.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/05 21:23:04 (permalink)
    Hang in there Clint........ Full moon coming on the 7th thru the 8th with a full lunar eclipse occuring in the wee hours of the 8th. This is the Hunters Moon but, will also be a Blood Moon.

If the fish don't move on the night of the 7th and morning of the 8th they ain't comin'.

Fish and animals use the lunisolar calendar. In order to keep the lunar year aligned with the solar year a 13th month must sometimes be added. There are 7 thirteen-lunation years in a 19 year cycle.

WHAT???....... Anyone else have a better explanation of why the fish are running late? :-/

Good luck to all and to all tight lines.~ BTDT..... said that
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/05 21:28:32

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 15:21:38 (permalink)
    Well it was not on today, after the late night I went to bed with nothing ready. Got a late start. Fished from 1000 till about 100 had 1nice steel on and lost it after a tussle. Played with a ho and had a few kings on and off. Did not see jack even though he walked right by. Went up to the corner and he Glenn and I had a good long chat about this and that

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 15:37:46 (permalink)
    My tank finally ran empty today. Midnights totally kicked my azz last night and I'm having a hard time leaving the comfort of PJ's and the king size bed.
    So much to do and so little time now.

Sure wishin I was fishin and sharing those chats about this and that. Going to be a long rough week here .
    Hope you folks do well on the water .

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 19:03:10 (permalink)
    Closing the job at Selkirk today and got one hour to swing at them before I had to be home and try and teach my 10 year old daughter how to ride a bike. I hit below the root and fished it hard for an hour saw 3 fish go by and saw no fish on out of 20 guys in sight. Will say after the guy got out of the middle of the river at tail of root I was able to get up and fish the seem and saw all 3 fish come and stage there, if he was not there I would have been able to get a taker, this is the latest time in 30+ years I have not landed a salmon.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 19:19:00 (permalink)
    Me too 3man. Maybe I will get a shot on Holloween .
    I bet you daughter enjoyed every minute :)

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 21:09:28 (permalink)
    Will be in SR  country Tues PM and staying for a few days- looking forward  to Golf and campfires more than the fishing- Never thought I'd say such a thing.
    At this time of year to have a very few sneaking in and only one push- lousy-to say the best.
    Sad commentary.
    With the possible exception of a very late run ( a real run- not a push or two) its  late enough for folks to start wondering what the heck happened.
    In a season where Hos were predicted to be very low and poor showings of Kings gotta wonder if the lack of eggs will affect the Steel.
    Without the regular great feed will they go out and return in the spring to spawn or find very  little food and stay anyhow???
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/06 21:11:01
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/06 21:12:56 (permalink)
    Lots of Steel being caught on small nympths on the swing....but not by me! Had one Steel on today before it shredded my tippet on some rocks,later played with a small brown about 20",then played with a couple Kings but landed nothing.Sunday evening I had 3 Coho on and landed one.Tomorrow going to look for new water to thrash!DSR was dead today according to what I was told and others that fished various parts of river had nothing positive to say.
    Rich so far you have n't missed anything great on the SR this season.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 00:04:50 (permalink)
    Jack , the only thing I really miss from the river is sharing good times with good people.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 06:37:20 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Jack , the only thing I really miss from the river is sharing good times with good people.

Absolutely the best part .  RG, I'm wondering  about the feed bag, myself. Less biomass in the river to keep the steel fat and happy. On the other hand, nymphs may be on the menu more than eggs. That and smaller fish.  I saw my first October caddis on the river. I'll fish some big pupae next time. 
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 07:14:22 (permalink)
    r3g3 gotta wonder if the lack of eggs will affect the Steel.
    Without the regular great feed will they go out and return in the spring to spawn or find very  little food and stay anyhow???

At least one writer in the last few months has suggested that Steelheads hanging below salmon are more interested in the insect larvae that are dislodged by the movement of the gravel to first create the redd depression and then bury the eggs that have settled into it.  Between caddis and stoneflies the SR is loaded with food items, so I can't see them starving.  A lot of the reports have indicated small nymphs for the ones coming in now.  We've always thought they moved around in the river, and in smaller tribs we've seen them head back out to the lake when the water dropped.  But the open water is not exactly a feedbag, and the nearshore in winter is inhospitable to everything except scaup and snowy owls.  The steel can live on accumulated fat and protein, same as the salmon, for the winter, as metabolism drops way down, spawn and then turn back onto food as the water warms and they have thinned out and darkened up into the drop backs everyone will be after in April.  And the eggs are pretty well gone a few weeks after the salmon, and they found things to eat in past years, so I don't think the chrome are effected, unless their numbers are doing the same thing R3G3 sees happening to the salmon. 

L13
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 07:24:53 (permalink)
    Hoping the recent great reports of Steel and Browns are true- One may think ,however, that they are seeming in larger numbers only because there are so few Kings around.
    Kudos to those fishing and hooking up for having nice trips in troubled times.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 07:40:24 (permalink)
    I'll definitely agree with you on that one, R3.  When you look up the river and every hole has someone playing a king in it, it has got to be a lot easier for a brown or chromer to find its way through the gauntlet, and then find a spot not so "friendly" to the salmon to hold in.  I don't think there are necessarily more trout running early this year, but they are conspicuous in the absence of a lot of the salmon.  I am wondering why we've heard nothing from DEC, but the reports indicate that the hatchery has fish, so they may see numbers in the river as secondary, and the hotels are booked solid whether the fish are there or not.  Does anyone know if egg taking has started yet?  Are there fish cutting in the upper river, hens with 2-3 bucks working the gravel?  It might still just be late. 

However, I talked to a guy who lives above the Genesee gorge and walks the Seneca Park pedestrian bridge daily, and he says he is seeing spent carcasses coming down river with the gulls working them, which says things are already well along in a river that is usually 2-3 weeks behind the Salmon.

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 09:20:33 (permalink)
    Here is what I have heard and gathered from a few trips to the hatchery as well as my 2cents. Egg collection may start the day after Columbus day. There were plenty of fish in the ladder and o heard that the have a few pens full too. There are fish starting to pair up and some with loose eggs and milt. I have just started to see spent carcasses around and they were beat up fish not fish that got handled wrong. There are also plenty of fifth that are starting to zombie up, hint, hint , lets tie up some flesh flies.
    Hotels  are booked, well most of them, tailgater has openings. The DSR is also sold out for last Saturday and I think next. People who come from a bit away make these plans well in advance and fish or no fish they are coming. I think that did why we were seeing increased tensions in the Zones as they want that spot that can produce
    I am right .on board with L13 and was actually just telling my friend the same thing. With the decreased number of salmon the trout are just more evident and being caught more.  I know yesterday I specifically targeted trout with small nymphs in fast water something I would not do this time of year usually.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 09:34:51 (permalink)
    A lot of thoughts here from someone ( myself ) who has not seen the river.
    Could it be a sparse number of salmon then previous ?
    The lake reports I have been givin and found on my outings have indicated fewer mature salmon . Lots of alewives and some say too much out there. Hence they ( boaters ) want increased chinook stockings, all this due to a down season mind you .
    Again in my adventures out there I found the kings sparse , the one steelhead we caught had a full belly of emeralds , and it was a small fish. The boaters did well on trout , bows & browns, maybe to well ?
    I don't think the trout will go hungry as to L-13 pointed out on fat reserves or the fact of the amass of caddis, stonefly in the river. Once they make it to that critical stage ( close to spawn) the salmon smolts and other minnows will fill the slot per and spring to keep them healthy. The only unhealthy ones will be on ropes, coolers and grills.
    My hope is that folks get their fill of salmon kicks for the year and leave the trout for the next guy.
    I'm looking forward to a Holloween adventure and my last vacation day will be spent 11/10 for a few days during vets .

Good luck to all that weta line, I'm back to sawdust before much needed sleep .

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 18:05:29 (permalink)
    When I went to lfz today the church hole had 3 on the wall 8 or 9 on the south side.
    At least 6 of them were together.

Pods of kings moved  below town around 8:15.
    Saw 15 or 20 hook ups.
    I have named the run above where I was "THE CANNONBALL RUN"..
    While I didn't see any Burt Reynolds I did see a lot of Dom Deluise types and they were all failing awy with cannonballs.

Found several steel upriver.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 22:13:25 (permalink)
    Water Obstruction WORK!

L13
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2014/10/07 22:14:57
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/07 23:19:48 (permalink)
    Gonna go up tomorrow  am with some friends. Lets see what is going on.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/08 07:19:58 (permalink)
    Sux 13!

I should also have mentioned that even below town all the kings I saw were greenies.
    No nickle brights mixed in.
    These fish have been staging in the lake until they decide to run.
    Plenty of water since I never happened to see any moving.
    They were just there suddenly after fishing blank water for 20 minutes or so and then 20 minutes of fish and then blank again.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!! 2014/10/08 08:59:05 (permalink)
    Yup, Saturday was all dark fish. Apparently we were upstream of "the push" and missed a steady half hour at lunch. Again we left just before 4 to weigh my sons fish in for the derby and apparently we missed a solid push. For this year, yes it was a run I guess... Compared to the past 10+ years... I'd say it was an average push
    Jump to: