Is this ammo for a hand gun?

Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/03 20:54:48 (permalink)

Is this ammo for a hand gun?

I know you ain't gonna believe this but, I bought 22 ammo at a local store today. I won't mention any names but, the stores initials are WalMart.

Been buying ammo there for a couple of years when I could find it. However, today was the first time I was asked if the ammo was for use in a hand gun.

Being somewhat bewildered, I asked the clerk what the reason was for the question. The clerk told me the question popped up on the screen when the ammo was scanned.

Gotta admit, the question took me by surprise and not wanting to cause a scene, I politely said handgun.

Next time I'll be prepared with the answer; nun-ur-biz.

Anyhow, just wondering if any of al-ya-al have been questioned elsewhere?

13 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/04 07:41:52 (permalink)
    It means that if the government didn't know you owned a handgun before they do now. Wall mart has agreed to get in bed with the anti gun folks and that is one of the ways they are doing it. The doctors are also gathering information on who owns firearms. nun-ur-biz is the correct answer. Not sure what their reaction will be however.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/04 15:41:44 (permalink)
    KMA is another appropriate response.  D_icks Sporting goods had 22 lr 50 ct. boxes for a pretty good deal a couple weeks ago.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/04 19:27:57 (permalink)
    Going back in a few days to get some more plinken ammo. It will be interesting to see if they pose the same question. My answer, this time, will be "no comment".

My local store has been pretty well stocked with .38, .357, .9x 19, .45 etc. Even seeing 30.30, 300wm, 30.06 and, .223. coming back. But the .17 hmr, .22 wm and, the good ole .22lr are just starting to come back. Many of the local gun stores carried the ammo but, you had to be buying a gun or, pay through the nose to get any ammo.

Just read an article (I know it's gotta be true cause it was on the internet) about the lack of ammo and the reason being. According to the mfg(s), they could not keep up with the supply as everyone (you & me) was 'panic buying'. .22(s) & .17(s)????? C'mon!!

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the 22 lrs, got a store a few miles down the road.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/05 11:46:08 (permalink)
    There is a lot of truth to the panic buying claim. Along with that Obama convinced the public to buy several million more guns than we would have
    otherwise and we needed ammo for all of them. Unless the Dems make real gains in the house or Senate this cycle we are probably going back to normal except for higher prices, until the 2016 elections. We have the power to keep the anti gunners at bay if we just register and VOTE.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/05 13:12:03 (permalink)
    We need to clean house on both sides of the fence, 10-4??

"United we stand; Devided we fall"-Aesop; Ancient Greek story teller~'The Four Oxen and The Lion'.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/06 02:06:43 (permalink)
     Just prior to the shortage, the department of homeland security bought an excessively large number of rounds compared to their prior purchases. Then the shortage stories started breaking, which got that ball rolling right down the hill. I'm convinced it was a manufactured shortage. Now, ammo sales and prices are way up.  I may be wrong but from how I understand it is that they get first dibs on everything the ammo manufacturers produce. 

I honestly think it was all done to prove a point. They don't need to take guns away from the population to remove the potential threat of an armed uprising. They know any attempt to disarm the population would be viewed as a totalitarian act of force by our government.  We wouldn't let them get away with it, not yet anyway. I guess smart phones haven't made us completely blind to reality just yet. After all, if your busy staring at your hand, you won't see the armed guards on the street corners.  

I also heard a rumor about an additive to gunpowder that renders it non-explosive after several months. While it's not in the powder right now, I can imagine it will take about one more crazed cabin dwelling revolutionist to change that. After that, say farewell to stockpiling. 

I think I may learn how to make gunpowder just in case. I'm pretty sure you're still allowed to acquire knowledge of such things. I wouldn't dare attempt to make it. That's the sort of thing done by terrorists, not citizens of the free-ist nation in the world. I mean only a freedom hating terrorist would want to make gunpowder and make their own ammo. Every good red-blooded American buys their ammo at wal-mart (who buys it from China).

I hope this 2 am rant still makes sense in the morning. 
    post edited by dakota kid - 2014/09/06 02:11:49
    graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/06 12:37:07 (permalink)
    Thank goodness I started reloading for everything I own years ago, the prices on components have gone up also, but I'm never out of ammo.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/06 17:06:34 (permalink)
    Really!! When did Winchester and Remington start making their ammo in China??
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/09 00:37:19 (permalink)
    They have been asking for years.
    Their policy is 18 to buy rifle ammo 21 for pistol.
    Most clerks, especially outside sporting goods have no idea though. I told them it was for a rifle when buying 9mm one time...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/09 09:33:30 (permalink)
    Never ask me how old I was only, if the ammo was for a hand gun. First time for everything I guess. Hey, that must mean I'm starting to show my age.......... dag-nab-it!!

Thanks for the info countryfisher.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/09 11:31:23 (permalink)
    Wal-Mart has agreed to adopt a 10-point retailing system pushed by the anti-gun group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the nation, cooperated in the drafting of and adopted what the Mayors Against Illegal Guns group calls the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership.

The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, created by Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Wal-Mart, is a set of policies that will be implemented over time that includes video recording of sales, rigid controls on inventory, checks that gun purchasers are not misrepresenting themselves and the development of a first-of-its kind computerized crime gun trace log for retailers.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/09 11:46:11 (permalink)
    What's a crime gun trace log? Other than that I have no issue with that policy personally.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Is this ammo for a hand gun? 2014/09/09 12:55:18 (permalink)
    W/M must have really felt the pain when they stopped selling guns. Didn't take them long to put a limited supply back on the shelves to test the back lash from anti-gunners. Maybe there will be a greater selection come this hunting season now that W/M is hiding behind Bloombergs' coalition. Just a thought...10-4??
    Jump to: