Double UGGGGGG

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/06/26 18:37:12 (permalink)

Double UGGGGGG

Well I got news on my refund today. I had an hour to kill so I stopped by the local IRS office.    It seems my return was marked as probable identity theft and I would need to go back with 2 forms of ID and my return info to sort it out.  Luckily I have Monday off.   FF to tonight I get the mail and there is a letter from Turbo tax saying I owe them 98$   for a return I filed when I did no such thing.  I called them and they took care of the bill without a second thought, but this confirms my suspicions that I have been hijacked and there will probably be so issues in my future.   Luckily I will have alot of time in the future to sit on the phone to take care of this.   Probably should get a credit report to see if this has went even further..............

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

4 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: Double UGGGGGG 2014/06/26 23:49:54 (permalink)
    Clint- as a past financial crime investigator (did it for my last  3 yrs on the job) and as a victim of ID theft--- DONT WAIT.
     Call  your credit card companies first thing in the AM or tonight and verify your past charges-some companies are better than others but be prepared to tell the story to several underlings before being transferred back to the first one and starting over but eventually to somebody in this country who can help. Ask for the fraud Div right off- it may help.
     Also call your bank and check for  any irregularities or applications in your name.
    Also make a police report for future verification - your local cops will likely not be able to even get to step two in this as it most generally leads to other countries but the report may be needed by CC companies in the future -if necessary.
     In the case of ANY irregularities cancel everything immediately-even change your bank account numbers.
    You will find with CC companies  -if you were hit- they will send an affidavit and you will be absolved of responsibility- it can take a while and some businesses will later try and resubmit their bills to your new card- be aware.
    In your favor here is that the return scam is not new having been commonplace for a few years now -  have never heard of it being associated with the ID thefts I described but YOU are the only one watching out for YOU.
     Don't wait for MONDAY- START NOW.
    Betcha your return will be further delayed as they too seek needed verification via an affidavit and notary an understanding person on the phone generally doesn't cut it- like every one else they will likely need a paper trail.
     Bet this is why you have waited as they got two of you looking for a return may have sent it to their fraud div for a while and kept it quiet not knowing which one was the crook.
    Good luck- again -most likely just the IRS thing but CHECK the other stuff
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Double UGGGGGG 2014/06/27 07:06:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Trev already on it.  I think it is only a return scam.  I checked into  my accounts and ran a credit check on line and everything is as it should be.  so far so good. They said it could take op to a year on the return now. We will see about that on monday

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Double UGGGGGG 2014/06/30 13:45:16 (permalink)
    Well got there and back and all went well filled out a form and had to submit ID and a new copy of my return.  I filed on April 15 the bogus return was filed in in Feb. And was flagged then.  my big question was why no letter before that, but she had no answer for that.    Like Trev said she said most of these come from overseas and the tax return is the only thing affected.       
    Ps.     The stereotypical IRS agent she was not.  I had a had time keeping my eyes on the forms 

mrkeith
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: Double UGGGGGG 2014/06/30 21:53:05 (permalink)
    Clint, if you  owed them money, you would not of had this problem. This is just another reason to never pay in extra. You should always try and owe some......................I predict that some year...............the IRS will issure IOUs to all who have a refund coming...........they will pay up, but not right away...........
    Jump to: