UGHHHHH!!!!!!

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/06/05 22:06:00 (permalink)

UGHHHHH!!!!!!

So I got a letter from NYS today saying I owed them $4500.   Quickly scanning over my tax forms I noticed I accidentally left out the NYS tax withheld on line 72, but did include the amount on the total payments line.  All the #'s add up to the correct amount, just left out that line.   Now I will probably have to file an amended return and hope they do not stick me with a penalty.  Speaking of penalties and interest, they added up to about $100 for this.  I file a simple form, standard deductions ect.   I know it was my fault,  but they have my ss# and know I paid in.   Any human looking at the form would have caught the mistake rather easily seeing how I included the correct # for tax withheld on the payments line.  Any computer should have easily matches my ss# to my form and know I paid in to the system.   UGHHHHHHHHHHH

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

6 Replies Related Threads

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/06 10:36:12 (permalink)
    My daughter received a similar letter saying she did not submit payment with her return.  We have a photocopy on a bank statement showing that the amount due was paid and cashed by the State of NY.  I prefer the old banking system where your check was returned with your monthly statement for matters such as this. 
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/06 18:13:50 (permalink)
    Well after waiting 1.5 hours on hold I got through and and within 5  minutes of talking to the first guy he told me the issue was quite evident.   Transferred me to a nice girl who said she could take care of it over the phone if I would prefer or I could send in an amended form.  I said phone please.  She said it should be fixed by Tuesday in the system and all should be forgiven. Big issue I have is that I work for the state of NY so they can instantly garnish my wages if it not taken care of.  Lets hope for the best  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/07 08:15:04 (permalink)
    Lesson learned the hard way--NEVER do your own taxes- money saved isn't worth it.
    For decades went to one of the most popular storefront tax services -cheap and was happy.
    Friend convinced me to go to a REAL accountant that cost much more-
    First year of a REAL pro was only legally able to go back and re do 3 years of taxes- many thousands of $$$ in my pocket after expenses.
    Much lost  over  the past years by the folks so busy on TV advertising their services.
    Kicker was that I has asked the storefront folks about that deduction repeatedly over time and told NO
     Taxes are far more complicated that most realize and a REAL tax professional can negotiate them best IMHO-- also get deductions you didn't even know existed.
    Also if there is an error or omission like Clints a simple call to the Accountant and he cares for it- part of the deal.
    Profitable, accurate  and worry free.
      I am now an ardent supporter of a simple flat tax as any annual process mandated to the masses that requires hiring a professional to get right is NUTS.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/06/07 08:16:05
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/11 18:13:11 (permalink)
    Well still no closure yet, but they said Thursday of Friday.   Other bad thing is that I have to receive my federal refund yet.  Their sight say they are processing my return.  At least they are processing it, because a week ago they had not even started doing that.  Next year I am filing early and E filing.............

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/12 18:28:27 (permalink)
    Well it looks like My NYS issue is taken care of as my bill is  ZERO now.      I wish my federal refund would hurry up and get here though.   The website says they are still processing it and they only started doing that last week.

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: UGHHHHH!!!!!! 2014/06/12 19:00:43 (permalink)
    Glad the State is straightened out... I file federal electronically, I am not a great fan of a lot of online things, but I do like the e-filing, usually only about 2 weeks between submitting it and having the refund in the bank.  But I usually file by mid February, so may be part of the quick turn around reason. 
    Jump to: