5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike?????

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/05/05 21:54:24 (permalink)

5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike?????

Fished  upper mid river tonight.   Had a plan and stuck by it.   Walked in to a spot I liked and took the fly rod.  Fished and hour or so.  Talked to a boat for a few minutes and he said he saw alot of fish still on gravel and toward shallower water.     I got 2 strikes on the swing.  Fish hit at almost a  straight line and just started bolting.   Broke me off  twice.  Walked back to the car and fished a nice pool with the float rod and a sac.  Water was perfect for the drift.   There were more small atlantics jumping everywhere.   I got 2 hit on the float and landed one.   Wife was on me for another so I kept it.   It was a male at around   13.5# per my bathroom scale.   Still had a dribble left, but was pretty much spawned out.

This was on the bank near the parking lot.   I don't think I have seem many this big this far up.  It was almost 3 of my shoes long so I am guessing 30 to 34 inches

Big thing I noticed today was that I again saw a few Steel jumping around.  Last week they always were jumping UP river.   Today all I saw jumping were jumping DOWN river.    

With no rain in site for a few days I thought I would get some fishing in this week, BUT they are raising the river to 1500 cfs for smoe odd reason

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

4 Replies Related Threads

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: 5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike????? 2014/05/06 05:32:58 (permalink)
    Yer killin it clint.
    Keep the pics commin.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: 5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike????? 2014/05/06 11:01:45 (permalink)
    Clint several years ago there was a large pike hanging in that water right at the upstream end of the rock wall in the UFZ.It was a puzzle to me how that fish got there,don't think they are rapid runners.
    Keep the reports coming.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: 5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike????? 2014/05/06 18:50:06 (permalink)
    Nice fish.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: 5/5/14 Mid river Persistence pays off and a pike????? 2014/05/07 00:40:00 (permalink)
    Thats a heck of a nice fish Clint.. Congrats on what sounded to be a good day.. Crazy about the pike.. Get the boat out in the estuary ;), never know whats lurking down there..
    The fish here are swimming by as I'm kinda stuck in the mud myself..Good catches of up to 50 #'s right in my creek and river..  I'm just Busy, Busy,and my boat is in my way,..

Good luck to all who got out and will be wetting a line soon.. Thanks for sharing

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: