Author
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1673
  • Reward points: 0
2014/05/04 08:16:16 (permalink)

A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen

Conditions change quick, Be prepared
http://www.meadvilletribune.com/breakingnews/x1535589387/Weather-creates-havoc-for-fishermen

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

7 Replies Related Threads

Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/04 10:36:57 (permalink)
    Good thing they all had their life jackets on. That's why I always wear mine.
    mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/04 19:22:11 (permalink)
    wife will not go with me up there anymore just for this reason......that is a crazy lake ,love fishing it but it can get nasty really fast.....glad they all made it ok......

STEVE.
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/04 20:27:07 (permalink)
    It's all about having a healthy respect.  You have to know your limitations as well as your boat's.
    You keep an eye on the weather and you will be fine, it you can't head for the docks, you head  to an island and sit it out.
    This lake isn't for those banana peel boats.  It's a shallow lake, like Mosquito.  You can be rolling whitecaps and go down to  Shenango resevoir and the deeper  lake that sits down in a hollow will just have a chop.
    Fished this lake for over fifty years, and have never been in that bad of a situation.  I have had to cut anchor ropes, when they wouldn't come up and the storm was coming, and I've had to scoot to an island and sit under the pines, but I've never allowed myself to be in that kind of  situation.
    I'm glad everyone was ok and they at least had their  life vests on, but the lake was rolling white before that squall.
    I watched a guy put his bass boat in on Friday, and as he was backing it in, the waves were splashing up over the transom.  That, my friend, should have been the first clue!

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/04 22:05:32 (permalink)
    Opsman good advice!!

I agree been there and done exactly as you. The lake can turn nasty!! Without to much warning, but if you pay attention and keep your eye on the sky there's no better place to fish then Pymatuning. Just use common sense and don't go beyond your lamination and your boats you will be fine. Been doing for over 30 yrs and same as opsman I have never put myself in that bad of situation.

Looks like good weather coming next week I will be on the lake good fishing to all and be safe boys and girls.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/05 07:46:04 (permalink)
    It's understood that most guys only get to fish there on weekends and have the attitude they're fishing anyway, but please respect this lake. I lost a friend to this lake years ago. His family is still feeling the effects from losing him. If you're going to take chances, wear your PFD. Glad those guys were wearing theirs.
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/06 19:57:02 (permalink)
    Made it up to the north end today.  Couple of three pound walleyes and a handful of nice crappies.  Bite was slow.  Surface temp around 52 but north wind kept things slow.  38 degrees when we hit the water.  ****, that was cold!  These few upcoming days of warm weather, south winds, and 50 degree nights, might set things off.

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: A Reminder to all Pymy Fishermen 2014/05/07 09:27:43 (permalink)
    The one time we fished pymie growing up was for some crappie tourney.  We had a bass tracker at the time, one of those flat bottomed jobbers that's really only good for flat/calm waters.  I remember the drive back to the launch after the wind kicked up... harrowing.  I've run from a few storms on Arthur and I've been in some dicey weather on the Chesapeake Bay.  Nothing was as scary as that pymie run.  Be safe out there.   
    Jump to: