4/6/14

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/06 18:24:34 (permalink)

4/6/14

Well today there were must have been an A $ s hat convention because the river was full of them.  Started by driving up to the UFZ.   Going by the lot I saw a guy taking off his boots (this will come into play later).    I walked back in the UFZ  walked around a bit took a few casts here and there, but  there was no real place to squeeze in so back down I went.    Got there and parked and there was the guy that was taking off his boots sleeping in the backseat (This was close to an hour later).    I walked down and saw a decent spot.  I walked up and started to set up.  Next thing I know there guy walking towards me swearing and another one yelling at me .   Seems I was in their  "buddies"  spot who went up to the car to warm his feet.   Words were exchanged and I let him know it had been close to an hour since his buddy left and he was sleeping in the back seat of their car  and it really was not appropriate to be "saving a spot"  for a guy sleeping in the car.   He proceeded to spew off that he drove 4 hours to get here this was their spot.   I told him that I drove 15 minutes to get here and his buddy was not here and I was.   He then spewed out that that's the problem with you locals, you think you own the river and how they drive up here 4 hours and spend money ect ect ect.   Guy was a real jerk.  I would have left when his buddy came back if he would have asked nicely.   I continue to fish and they proceeded to get closer to me strangling my drift to nothing so I left.   Went down stream to the spot I had Wednesday as it had just opened up and proceeded to hook up about 6 or 7  times while they managed 1 hook up between the 3 of them.  I whooped and hollered every time too.        
Guy came back an hour later and they left an hour after that.   When they left I asked them if they wanted me save their spot.   I got no answer.  
#2   I saw some dude walk by the wire and he started fishing well above the wire.  Another guy yelled up that he was not supposed to be there.   Guy came out of the water threw his pole on the ground and rushed the guy then started screaming at him.   Then he ran over to the wire and proceeded to start shaking the wire yelling something, then he tried to cross the river holding the wire.  I think he was trying to get to the sign to or something.   

Now the good.   A guy and his kid were fishing next to me and every time I hooked up the kid went crazy, grabbed my net and followed me around asked if he could net it for me.   We lost 2 trying , but it was worth it.    I even gave him my pole and let him fight one for a bit.  Kid was in heaven with smiles for miles.   
I only managed to net one fish today.     I also added a longer handle to my net and  I think  it will help out on the solo netting.   Overall fishing was quite slow today talked to multiple people and all said the same.   I did ok but worked hard for the 5 hours I was there.  
Fly of the day was the little green sedge fly with a few hook ups on that.  Others came on pink sucker spawn,  orange egg,  pink steelhead hammer.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

12 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 18:45:33 (permalink)
    Great report Clint- that 'my spot' mentality can be maddening.
       Happened to me in LFZ when some idiot went for lunch and didn't come back for a long time. When I got to the spot his buddies came over and told me to get out because it       'belonged' to their friend. LOL.
     Some days idiots abound an it aint necessarily only a Shark Season phenomenon,
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 20:07:55 (permalink)
    Nice bright fish, Clint!

They don't sell deeds on spots on the river.  But the local youth group could make money running a rent-a-kid, 10.00 per hour, hold your place for ya. mister!  Other than that, I think it is first come, first served, you step out, next in line gets in.  Maybe you can pull that malarkey if you're on the end of some jetty fishing for stripers in Jersey in the fall, but it does not cut it on the SR.  And the threat is assault, if they follow through it becomes battery.  One more reason I like fishing with TwoBob!

L13  
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 20:37:22 (permalink)
    Yea, TB is a pretty imposing guy.  I usually do not start stuff because it is not worth it, people are getting crazier and crazier.   My wife says I am getting cranky in my old age because I am coming home with more and more stories like this.  Would have been different if the guy had just left or they had been nice about it, but he had been out of the spot for close to an hour and did not come back for an hour after that.  Heck I was there Wednesday and left because my feet got cold so technically the spot was mine . 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 20:43:45 (permalink)
    Fish the DSR and for $50, it's unlikely you'll be assaulted.  That's not to say cross words aren't spoken down there cuz they are.  But it's not going to be the combat fishing you'll run into at the Trestle hole.  That spot is just good for laughs frankly.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 20:49:48 (permalink)
    sorry folks.. Skimming here but it was a fantastic day out with the yak.. Crowds, ppl ? nah .. Peace and Tuna here.. Just don't tell the tail water group or guides about my paradise.. We already have a professor at gilligan's island..
    soon ocean run fish that some dream and pay, will be looking out my back door.. Pics in am..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 21:58:09 (permalink)
    good job clint  I had the same thing last week.   2 guys left with a fish each so I moved in and about a hour later they showed back up and wanted the spot back so I moved down a little and in a little while they landed another one which they threw back on the snow  well I made the mistake and said that the limit for steelhead was one a day also I wasnt dcnr but didnt want them to get in trouble.  wrong thing for me to be nice after a few words I said that no fish was worth the trouble and went back up to my truck   guess what they came up to my truck and wanted to know why I was still there well I told them to get lost and they went back to there car and left. There lic plate was from MASS.  I guess Im starting to mello out after 20yr in the Corps and 21 Yrs with the PA dept of correction.  better yet mabe Im getting wiser. 
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3068
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/06 23:32:36 (permalink)
    It aint bein wiser Sgt- it just facing the fact of life that we cant get the job done like we used to- lol
     ( and that we don't heal up so fast anymore either) For some of us those realities came the hard way -Oh well------
    lost sage rod sectio
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/07 00:46:10 (permalink)
    Clint and ssgt12 I got a little hint for you. God created all men equal, And Sam Colt created the equalizer.!!!!!They let the rump rangers from the big house out every day just don't leave none alive, dead men can't sing. On a Lighter note Happy Rabbit.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/07 07:40:07 (permalink)
    If you see the laws being violated, call the Poacher line on the DEC website, give them all the plate numbers in the area, a description of the violators ( Yea,I know, Waders, ball cap , sunglasses, everyone except fichy looks the same!).  If they threaten you, mention that, as well.  DEC wants to put the violators into a little more debt, or send them packing, they just need the heads up.

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/07 17:46:15 (permalink)
    Don't have an issue doing that at all, but there is no law against being a douch nozzle.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/07 21:14:25 (permalink)
    Clint S
    Yea, TB is a pretty imposing guy.  I usually do not start stuff because it is not worth it, people are getting crazier and crazier.   My wife says I am getting cranky in my old age because I am coming home with more and more stories like this.  Would have been different if the guy had just left or they had been nice about it, but he had been out of the spot for close to an hour and did not come back for an hour after that.  Heck I was there Wednesday and left because my feet got cold so technically the spot was mine . 

Yes they sing songs about me round the campfire behind Malinda's like Barbarosa.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: 4/6/14 2014/04/07 21:16:50 (permalink)
    ssgt12
    good job clint  I had the same thing last week.   2 guys left with a fish each so I moved in and about a hour later they showed back up and wanted the spot back so I moved down a little and in a little while they landed another one which they threw back on the snow  well I made the mistake and said that the limit for steelhead was one a day also I wasnt dcnr but didnt want them to get in trouble.  wrong thing for me to be nice after a few words I said that no fish was worth the trouble and went back up to my truck   guess what they came up to my truck and wanted to know why I was still there well I told them to get lost and they went back to there car and left. There lic plate was from MASS.  I guess Im starting to mello out after 20yr in the Corps and 21 Yrs with the PA dept of correction.  better yet mabe Im getting wiser. 

M****s.
    Can't believe that was censored.
    Mass holes
    post edited by twobob - 2014/04/07 21:17:55
    Jump to: