Question about Spincast reels

Author
bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2014/03/26 11:16:09 (permalink)

Question about Spincast reels

I have a brand new casting rod that was given to me a couple years ago. It is a cheaper rod. Not even sure of the brand right now. I don't want to put a quality baitcaster on it and I refuse to buy cheap baitcaster reels. What are your thoughts on spincast reels? I haven't used one since I was a little kid. What are they best used for? Are there any decent ones? I remember watching Hank Parker on a show last year and he said everyone should own a decent spincast reel. I plan on getting into using baitcasters this year. I have never used them since I didn't target bass much.

5 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: Question about Spincast reels 2014/03/26 12:04:48 (permalink)
    Can't go wrong with a Zebco 33. Great for river/creek fishing. Tie a sinker on the bottom. Tie a hook on about a foot above the sinker (snelled). Put on some bait and cast her out. Use 6-8lb mono and you should be covered.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re: Question about Spincast reels 2014/03/29 22:22:01 (permalink)
    Yeah what I am mainly looking at is setting up this rod for maybe a friend that doesn't know how to fish or even maybe keep it in the truck just incase I run into a nice little fishing hole. I am not real familiar with them since I haven't used one since I was a kid. I seen Pfleuger makes one. You say a Zebco 33 is half decent. I am the type that hates to let something go to waste and this rod is just standing in the corner. Definitely not worth putting a decent baitcaster on. Thanks for the info.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: Question about Spincast reels 2014/03/30 20:25:26 (permalink)
    Those reels aren't bad for bait fishing but the gear ratio is just too low to use most lures.
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re: Question about Spincast reels 2014/03/31 12:55:26 (permalink)
    I hear ya. What I mainly want it for is to keep around incase someone wants to fish. I have an extra setup that I am not that worried about it getting lost or stolen or messed up. I could just leave it in the truck under the toolbox and if someone needs a rod to use, it is there. Just looking for the most reliable one. I have seen those little kid spincast combos you see at walmart break after a day of use. I'll probably stick a Zebco 33 on it and stick it in the truck. Thanks guys.

joefisher310
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Question about Spincast reels 2014/06/27 17:04:43 (permalink)
    The Cardinal® S from Abu Garcia is a good one and it's just $30.
    Jump to: