BOC acts outside of protocol

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2014/03/08 11:10:56 (permalink)

BOC acts outside of protocol

Looks like some more back room deals from the new "transparent agency" that some of the commissioners have been preaching about. There is a process in place to remove a ED. Looks like to circumvent that process, which puts comments on record, this board succeeded in forcing out the ED and payed him hush money to avoid a lawsuit at the expense of hunters. Oversight is a good thing. Our legislative body has been overstepping its role in regards to oversight lately but this is a case where oversight should bring about hearings on this fiasco. 

By Brad Bumsted and Michael Hasch
Published: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 10 hours ago

HARRISBURG — The Pennsylvania Game Commission proposed paying $220,000 to its retired executive director when he threatened to sue the agency, according to a letter from its chief counsel to the state Office of the Budget.
The Game Commission released a letter on Friday that was sent Dec. 26 by Brad Bechtel, the agency's chief counsel, to the Corbett administration saying the payment to Carl Roe is not compensation but a “settlement agreement in lieu of litigation.”
Roe of Carlisle retired Jan. 17. He served as executive director since 2005.
No decision has been made on proceeding with or abandoning the payment that one of Gov. Tom Corbett's top lawyers this week termed an “improper severance agreement.”
According to Bechtel's letter to Brian D. Zweiacher at the Office of the Budget legal office, the Game Commission board adopted a policy manual in December 2011 that “set forth the job duties” of the executive director. The board began “discussing the possibility of terminating Director Roe's employment” in late 2012.
“Among the reasons provided were concerns over Director Roe's job performance and whether he met the board's expectations for the individual in that position,” the letter states.
“While those discussions were taking place, Director Roe made it known ... that he believed he had fully complied with the job responsibilities set forth in the Policy Manual and that if he was removed from his position he would file ... a suit for wrongful termination.”
The board and Roe agreed to the $220,000 payment “in order to avoid litigation on this issue,” the letter states. In return, Roe agreed to voluntarily retire and “release all claims he could have brought against the board,” according to the letter.
“While it may seem unusual, I have analyzed previous situations similar to this one and believe the agreement is within a reasonable realm of settlements for these types of cases and is in the best interest of the commission,” Bechtel wrote.
The planned payment to Roe was disclosed on Friday by the Tribune-Review based on a letter from the governor's lawyers to the attorney general. Roe could not be reached.
The Attorney General's Office submitted questions to the Game Commission about the payment and will make a decision based on “form and legality,” said spokesman Joe Peters.
The office of state General Counsel James D. Schultz has asked the commission to clarify the payment because “it appeared on its face to be a severance agreement” in violation of the state's administrative code.

“This appears to be an issue between the former executive director and the Board of Game Commissioners and is independent of any agency decisions or programs,” Game Commission press secretary Travis Lau said Friday.
“Again, the sportsmen are taking it on the chin,” said Randy Sanducci of Robinson, president of the Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania.
“No matter what we do, half of the people are going to love you and half of them won't,” said Bob Schlemmer of Export, the Game Commission president. He declined questions on the payment and referred them to Bechtel.
Roe's final salary as executive director of the Game Commission was $121,116. He left with a lump-sum cash withdrawal of $89,926, representing his contributions to the pension system plus 4 percent interest since he joined the agency in 2001, state records show. His annual pension from the state is $29,236, according to state retirement board records.
Roe spent 30 years in the Army, retiring as a colonel.
The proposed $220,000 payment was intended to “induce” early retirement and get Roe to “agree to terms of confidentiality,” the general counsel's office contended in a Jan. 30 letter to the attorney general.
“It shows this agency acts like a rogue agency, not under control of anybody,” said Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Cranberry, chairman of the House State Government Committee. “Outrageous” actions such as this spur legislative interest in establishing some state oversight of the Game Commission, he said.
Metcalfe favors requiring commission regulations to be approved by the Independent Regulatory Review Commission, which considers other state agencies' regulations. He said he would support merging the Game Commission with the Fish and Boat Commission. A legislative research report on that idea is slated for release March 19.
“Rogue” was a description also used by Rep. David Maloney, R-Berks County, a member of the House Game and Fisheries Committee, who supports state approval of regulations but not merger of the agencies.
“Why would you pay a man a quarter-million dollars after he was paid a salary and he resigns? Why is that? Since when is there severance pay?
“There's such loose oversight of this agency,” Maloney said.
Joe Kelley, a retiree and hunter from New Alexandria, said perspective is needed.
Critics “jump on the Game Commission for $220,000 when there's the Turnpike Commission wasting hundreds of millions of dollars.” Kelley asks why, despite indictments of top turnpike officials for alleged corruption, there isn't an ongoing state investigation of the turnpike, another independent agency.
And former Liquor Control Board CEO Joe Conti, 59, left the LCB in February 2013 and began drawing his pension but was rehired almost immediately as a temporary “emergency” employee for $80 an hour until July. He and two other former top LCB officials reportedly have been under investigation by the Ethics Commission for accepting gifts and favors from vendors with business before the LCB.
“They (Game Commission) do a lot of good things with game management and conservation,” Kelley said.
Brad Bumsted is state Capitol reporter and Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.

My rifle is a black rifle

19 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 11:33:32 (permalink)
    Im not positive, but it appear you have it ALL WRONG dpms.   The board would have most likely been given legal cousel by pgc on this move and it sounds like they had.   Pgcs guy said he thought it to be legal and binding.   The governors office, not so much.   And it doesn't sound ethical at all.   And if the board were at their own devices, and they as some rumors state had issues with Roe and wanted him gone...  and knew Roe would have no wrongful termination chances due to it being an "at will" position....  Why would THE BOARD desire to reward a guy they cant stand with $220k, if they had known they could get rid of him legally without doing so???

This is all the agencies "baby".   Although I know the enviro-types are afraid that the board was rumored to be considering changes to deer management.   So I guess the board, if that is true, would be the obvious target here.

The board was well within their rights to terminate Roe.   It was a bit sketchy on his part for him to threaten to sue and accept a kickback if all is as was stated.   And it was certainly staff at pgc that facilitated this "money" deal.   Although some might want to point the spotlight elsewhere.   If commissioners wanted an obvious bad cog removed from the agency and thought that the only way possible were to pay a severance to prevent a lawsuit, someone obviously mislead them.   They aren't legal experts or experts in  all pgc protocol.  They have counsel for that.   And here is what that counsel obviously told them:

“While it may seem unusual, I have analyzed previous situations similar to this one and believe the agreement is within a reasonable realm of settlements for these types of cases and is in the best interest of the commission,” Bechtel wrote.

As I see it, there are only 2 logical explanations.   Either it is a political slander attempt to remove board members that want the deer management program changed (if any of the "rumors" were true)   or it is ALL about compensating Roe for his role in  the deer fraud program.

Either way, the enviro-idiots are pulling another one on us, and it stinks.
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/03/08 11:53:19

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 11:53:09 (permalink)
    Wayne, 

The BOC has a process in place to remove a ED if they so choose. I am absolutely correct in the position. If this new board wants to be transparent, then the process should have been followed. That was all I was saying. 

No doubt the more deer crowd wanted him gone. So be it. Not my problem. My issue is a process and protocol were not followed to keep the debate from the sportsmen that are paying for this shut up package. 

And I would add, which you will find great joy in, this is a good case where oversight is truly warranted. I hope there are hearings on this. 

One member of our state assembly has already proposed legislation lowering the cost of hunting licenses to compensate the hunters for this severance package. 
    post edited by dpms - 2014/03/08 11:55:48

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 11:59:21 (permalink)
    Youre incorrect.   They received bad legal counsel from the agency.  Its right there in the article, if indeed it is a "bad" move, which most would probably agree the payment aspect was.

They wanted Roe gone, they were perfectly within their rights to tell him so and accept his "retirement" as opposed to being publicly FIRED.   YOU may have preffered a different route, but it wasn't your call.   The only issue here is the payment.   If it were not included in the little "deal" there would be no harm no foul.  And that looks to have come about due to Roes threats to sue and pgcs legal counsel advice in response.

I know you have personal vendetta along with your pfsc allies against some of the board, I have read your ravings on the pfsc board over such ridiculous things as pfsc not getting their way on the early squirrel season....   One commissioner daring question the increased crossbow harvest... Commissioners daring speak of increased deer herd...  and daring to mention implementing a reasonable age limit somewhat above 1 yr old. (lol)

But you shouldn't let your venom blind you.   This issue has gained quite a bit of clarity with this second article on the topic.   
    There may be some great detail missing that may change things dramatically but right now, it appears pretty cut and dried.  

Reread the part I quoted in blue.  You may have missed it before I edited it in.  If that was the message conveyed to the board, then I have no idea how you can disagree with me legitimately, or how you could possibly think that pgc staff is not to blame here.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/03/08 12:04:55

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 15:36:59 (permalink)
    wayne c

They wanted Roe gone, they were perfectly within their rights to tell him so and accept his "retirement" as opposed to being publicly FIRED.   YOU may have preffered a different route, but it wasn't your call.   The only issue here is the payment.   If it were not included in the little "deal" there would be no harm no foul.  And that looks to have come about due to Roes threats to sue and pgcs legal counsel advice in response.

No doubt that legal council advised this board to go this route. That is what happens when the BOC does not want to go through the process to remove a ED. Unfortunately, because this BOC prefers back room deals, the sportsmen of this state have to foot the severance. If they wanted him gone, get rid of him the way a BOC is supposed to get rid of a ED.

I know you have personal vendetta along with your pfsc allies against some of the board, I have read your ravings on the pfsc board over such ridiculous things as pfsc not getting their way on the early squirrel season....

Not sure why you keep bringing this up after being told multiple times. I am not a PFSC member nor am I affiliated with them. I don't even think the PFSC asked for the early squirrel season. Of course, character assassination is your preferred mode of operation, Dan, even after being told truthful information. Most expect it from you.

One commissioner daring question the increased crossbow harvest...

That is his right to express concern. I have relayed the facts to him on this issue which directly dispute his claims.

and daring to mention implementing a reasonable age limit somewhat above 1 yr old. (lol)

The MY program has been proven safe with very few violations. All a age limit would do is satisfy those that are afraid someone will shoot their deer. You would be one of those people.

Reread the part I quoted in blue.  You may have missed it before I edited it in.  If that was the message conveyed to the board, then I have no idea how you can disagree with me legitimately, or how you could possibly think that pgc staff is not to blame here.

My issue is a severance package that we must pay for because the BOC did not wish to go through the proper protocols to remove the ED. Especially with a agency that claims to be more transparent than ever.

Of course council advised this. They would be faced with a big lawsuit that maybe council was afraid that the plaintiff would win because this board chose to act outside of proper protocol. 
    post edited by dpms - 2014/03/08 15:54:54

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:04:21 (permalink)
    "No doubt that legal council advised this board to go this route."

Yep.   And that's where the blame lies.   The governors office pointed that out as being the inappropriate part, as the compensation wasn't necessary due to Roe having no legal standing.  Had the board been informed of this, there is no issue period.  End of story.

"That is what happens when the BOC does not want to go through the process to remove a ED."

Nope.  Youre grasping at straws and trying to place blame elsewhere.  At any rate,  I would think it highly likely advice on the "process" and how it ended up going down was sought also.  There is no prerequisite for potential boc candidates to go into the postion knowing exactly how to dot every I and cross every T as it pertains to executive director removal.  

I actually think it was a classy and very considerate move on their part to allow him to "retire".   I don't necessarily agree with it, but have no issue with it.  Gone is gone.   I would have preferred he was publicly fired years ago which was much deserved.  But at any rate, No wrong doing in his "removal" in of itself.   I know some of you have a grudge against anyone daring to remove the almighty, but you should be a little less supportive seeing as how the ex ED is hardly spotless in all this....   Blackmailing, by threatening to sue until given the 220K sound about right?  THis is the character some of you have screamed about since his potential "removal" was rumored some time back, before any of this even developed.

" Unfortunately, because this BOC prefers back room deals,"

Perhaps.  Im not going to vouch for them.  But in this instance I want to see blame placed where it is due.    But in general, when it comes to boc deciet you can multiply that tenfold for pgc.   As in STAFF.  More deceit there in the last 15 years than has been from the board in the last 50.  And considering the actions of some of our ex commissioners, that's saying a lot.

"the sportsmen of this state have to foot the severance. If they wanted him gone, get rid of him the way a BOC is supposed to get rid of a ED."

You and  pfsc screaming about the board, the board, the board, because they slighted you wouldn't be any happier no matter what, unless Carl Roe stayed or retired on his own period.  Aside from the money aspect, youre entitled to your opinion on how it should have been done.   But that's all it is and meaningless.   On the other hand if there is any clear legal wrong-doing, it is in regard to the money... 

And if there is any justice, we shouldn't have to "foot" anything.   This was caught in time.    Unfortunately its now up to people whom I also don't know if are any more trustworthy than pgc.  So wont hold my breath.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:10:30 (permalink)
    So you do not feel a BOC should remove a ED as their protocols and procedures dictate? I have no problem if Roe was removed the way he is supposed to be removed. That is how our agency is supposed to operate. Then it would be the transparent process that this current board has been preaching about. 
    post edited by dpms - 2014/03/08 16:14:13

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:18:41 (permalink)
    Personally, I think this move has sealed the deal with a merger. If the PGC can't even follow their own policies and procedures with sportsmen having to pay for it, there might as well be a merger and complete re-organization of the agency. That is how the legislature is gonna look at it. 

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:19:38 (permalink)
    "So you do not feel a BOC should remove a ED as their protocols and procedures dictate?"

The guy said he would retire.   They let him.   Sounds like proper procedures to me.

Proper until he threatened lawsuits.

The commissioners are supposed to be humble public servants....volunteers.   Not legal experts.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:27:44 (permalink)
    "The MY program has been proven safe with very few violations. All a age limit would do is satisfy those that are afraid someone will shoot their deer. You would be one of those people."

Oh yes.   That's me.  Mr. Greedy Antikid.    I only spent about 10  days last season taking 3 different kids archery hunting and small game during "my" prime archery time.

I support a reasonable age limit.  It only makes sense.   But that's not the topic.

"They would be faced with a big lawsuit that maybe council was afraid that the plaintiff would win because this board chose to act outside of proper protocol."

Uhhhh.  No they wouldn't Eugene.   And you cant point to one issue other than the money that is questionable.  You are just pointing to nothing acting as if its something.   The governors office in the one article stated the issue was that a payment was given and if it was intended to prevent a lawsuit, it was not a needed payment because they believed Roe had absolutely no standing for a lawsuit.  The position is an "at will" position, and the person holding it serves at the pleasure of the board.  They could fire him and give absolutely no reason at all if they choose.   And of course if they wanted to its all at their discretion.  If they say they felt he didn't do his job to their standards because his views did not mesh well with theirs,  he often didn't gieve them what they asked for (as was often the case with information requested) etc. etc.   They would not need to justify it at all, no matter how bad you would like to hear the justification or disagree with it.

E.D's are aware of their job security or lack thereof based on the whims of the board, going in.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/03/08 16:31:40

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:30:55 (permalink)
    wayne c
    "So you do not feel a BOC should remove a ED as their protocols and procedures dictate?"

The guy said he would retire.   They let him.   Sounds like proper procedures to me.

Proper until he threatened lawsuits.

The commissioners are supposed to be humble public servants....volunteers.   Not legal experts.

LOL. Now that is a good one

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:34:01 (permalink)
    wayne c
    Oh yes.   That's me.  Mr. Greedy Antikid.    I only spent about 10  days last season taking 3 different kids archery hunting and small game during "my" prime archery time.

I support a reasonable age limit.  It only makes sense.   But that's not the topic.

Never said you were anti kid. You are anti anything that might kill another deer. If the program has been proven safe and violations are no higher than elsewhere, why push to fix a program that apparently has nothing wrong with it. That is what doesn't make any sense. 

BTW, you can call be Gene, Dan.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:40:50 (permalink)
    And the problem with that statement is what exactly?

Btw, don't brand me as a boc supporter.  I have had more than my share of issues I have disagreed with them on and have demonized them regularly over the years.   This is just not an instance, based on whats known to this point, to be a time where it looks to be deserved.

I look at these things very fairly and balanced.   I'll bash the board...and have...when they screw up, and Im just as quick to dole it out to the pgc staff when deserved.

You on the other hand, have totally ignored the agencies involvement, made no complaints of THEIR large role in this, nor said one word about your previous HERO, ol' quick Carl, threateing to sue, and then wanting to march off into the sunset with a cool quarter mil of our money.

"Not sure why you keep bringing this up after being told multiple times. I am not a PFSC member nor am I affiliated with them."
    You didn't read correctly.  I said you and your pfsc allies.   I didn't say you were a member.   Likeminded without doubt.   You parrot their stance verbatim for years on pretty much every issue, lay around on their message board doing the same 24/7/365, and send emails to legislators and commissioners basically mirroring theirs totally...  So yeah.  My statement was accurate.

Now Im going to have to risk missing your repetitive posts, offering up nothing to support your contentions, Im goin' to do some work Ive been putting off.

Have a good'n.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 16:44:10 (permalink)
    "BTW, you can call be Gene, Dan"

Actually I prefer Eugene.  

You can call me Dan.  You can call me Gene.  You can call me Al, just don't call me late for dinner.

I played that guessing game with you and your pals plenty of times on hpa and other sites.  Ive been called Dan, Steve, Randy (guessing santucci?) and a plethora of others.   See no reason to confirm or deny my "real" name.   Its a game that goes nowhere and frankly, I don't care enough.

Later chief!  

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 17:01:37 (permalink)
    wayne c

Btw, don't brand me as a boc supporter.  I have had more than my share of issues I have disagreed with them on and have demonized them regularly over the years.   This is just not an instance, based on whats known to this point, to be a time where it looks to be deserved.

Huh?? I have never implied such a thing. You are about as far as a PGC or BOC supporter as they come. 

You didn't read correctly.  I said you and your pfsc allies.   I didn't say you were a member.   Likeminded without doubt.   You parrot their stance verbatim for years on pretty much every issue, lay around on their message board doing the same 24/7/365, and send emails to legislators and commissioners basically mirroring theirs totally...  So yeah.  My statement was accurate.

LOL. Clueless. I have had searing communications with those that I assume you feel are my allies and have called out the org for what I feel is a lack of leadership on certain issues.

Have a good'n.

You to. Till the next flare up which I suspect will be pretty quickly.
    post edited by dpms - 2014/03/08 18:37:01

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/08 19:51:30 (permalink)
    Flare up?  naaa.    I prefer to think of it as "searing communications" lmao!

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/09 12:17:08 (permalink)
    After thorough consideration of this matter, and having gotten a few more facts and also views on the matter, I will say this,  I feel that a hearing on this issue would be warranted if not "needed" to air out these grievances.   While it still appears to me that legal advice given was faulty and possibly intentionally so, I will reserve final judgement pending more facts on the matter.

I have been hearing that a wide range of folks from many backgrounds would like to see a hearing held on this issue.

Personally, I would like to know 1. Whos idea was the payment.  I think its pretty clear it was legal counsels, but I would like to see that publicly stated during a hearing.  
    2. I would like to know for indisputable fact, did Carl or did he not have any real legal standing for any potential lawsuit. From what little I know of the position, I have always believed no.   But I am no legal expert.  But the governors office legal counsel seems to agree.     If Roe did not, it would appear that pgcs own in house legal counsel should've known something so incredibly basic, and might point to possibility of corruption.  
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/03/09 12:19:03

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/09 13:45:26 (permalink)
    I agree. This is a case where true oversight is a good thing. This needs to play out via hearings. 

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/13 10:38:24 (permalink)
    About legal standing, even in at-will states, the waters are muddy.  
    Maybe the commissioners were given this to read by counsel:

http://www.trc-law.com/articles/pdf/EM-Term-At-Will.pdf

Not following their own processes and procedures could be grounds for a lawsuit from a terminated employee.  

So, the BOC should have followed the process and let the chips fall, they could have terminated w/o following the process which surely would have led to a lawsuit costing who knows how much, or, as they chose option 3, pay "hush" money and hope the issue goes away.  

IMO, they should have chosen the first option.  Would have been the best chance of getting the end results they wanted.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: BOC acts outside of protocol 2014/03/13 12:17:25 (permalink)
    I don't see any huge problem with how things were done out of "procedure" and have heard of no issues that would cause a lawsuit to be justified in this instance due to it.  Although Im sure hindsight is 20-20, but its not the first time things were done in said manner.  As I understand it, the last exec director to receive the boot, it was done in the exact same manner, permitted to "step down"...but with no payoff.     Pete Duncan.

The fly in the ointment according to those with oversight and the thing being "taken advantage" of by Roe is the fact they had installed a policy manual just a few years ago which detailed the duties.   Roe seems to believe something in that policy manual made his removal illegal as he fulfilled his obligations as mentioned in that manual.  

There is also a section on "handbooks" and "policy manuals" making things not so clear in the link you posted gillz.

It quite possible Roe wanted this manual in place, as a safeguard to his dismissal, or to set himself up for a nice retirement package as instructed by legal counsel?   Especially when he discovered he might not get along well with others (boc).  Depends on how one feels about conspiracy theories I guess.    I personally wouldn't rule anything out at this point.   I think the policy manual was put into place by many on the current board and with help from Roe & co. back in 2011 or 12.  It didn't take long for it to come in good "use".

It appears the gov's office doesn't think that the policy manual applies to giving Roe any legal recourse.

Hopefully the payment is denied, and when the confidentiality clause then becomes null and void, the truth will come out.
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/03/13 12:47:14

Jump to: