Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2013/11/27 09:51:47 (permalink)

Clear Cure Goo

Hello All

Saw a new pattern I would like to try. It requires the use of ccg. Not sure if I want to invest the $45 yet. Has anyone ever used ccg? What is better the thin or thick for general purpose ties? Opinions and preferences? As always, any tips and pointers are appreciated.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Thanks
Tight Lines
Trout Man

7 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/11/27 11:08:56 (permalink)
    I've been using different versions of Clear Cure Goo for a long time... and REALLY like it

what pattern are you looking to tie?  that will help narrow down which product to buy

personally- i use a lot of hydro and brushable and their eyes are killer!

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/11/27 11:52:04 (permalink)
    Same as kjh said, depends on what you're tying which product is best.

I've used thin, thick & flex.  Don't have any brushable yet, but will be trying it soon enough.

I think it's worth the investment if you tie many streamers, especially bigger ones.  I mostly use it to attach their eyes to larger streamers.
    trout man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/11/28 13:12:51 (permalink)
    Thanks guys
    I was looking at a pattern called the Game Changer. Its a minnow pattern that calls for the thin ccg. I'm sure that I can find other uses for it. Basically wanted some input as to if it is worth the money. They have ccg with glitter in it and I like the possibilities that opens up. I noticed that they have a tact free version. Do you need a top coat with the regular ccg? Or is it all tact free now? I don't tie a lot of streamer patterns. I tie what I need as I need them. And patterns that I think might be fun to tie and fish.

Thanks
    Tight Lines
    Trout Man
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/11/28 18:55:15 (permalink)
    For sure - worth the $. I've been using the thin,thick, brushable for some time now and love it. Also been using the hydro for the heads on my classic ties and - for me - it cannot be beat. A must buy!!!! So many uses for it!!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/12/03 10:43:55 (permalink)
    It is only tack free if it's labeled tack free.  The regular stuff, you need a top coat of clear nail polish (at least, that's what I use).

There are tons of uses.  midges, nymph bodies/backs, attaching eyes to streamers, etc, etc.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/12/03 12:34:03 (permalink)
    the Hydro product is tack free and works as a top coat

with the viscosity a bit thicker than water... it is super nice to finish, becuase it will fill in any uneven spots and give everything a smooth finish
    I'll actually put too much on the head of a fly and then rotate my vise, so it will all run/cover the head
    then work up to a medium spin when i hit it with the light...
    it all dries even/ firm/ tack free

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    Re: Clear Cure Goo 2013/12/03 17:57:36 (permalink)
    You right KJ - exactly what I do also. Actually like the hydro better than anything else because there is no bulk on my classic ties. For covering eyes though I go with the thin - then final coat with the hydro. Actually tested it by casting a fly up against a brick wall and no damage..... to the head of the fly that is. Tough stuff!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: