Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet.

Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
2013/11/02 00:29:26 (permalink)

Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet.

The buck was a 7 pt 13 inch spread,but his biggest yet.
He has a nice ladder
stand with roof I set for him but he shot this buck standing on the ground right
next to it.
I would have let it walk but he was thrilled and that made me
VERY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!
I bought a used Ten Point so he could use my Ten
Point which has taken a buck for 4 yrs in a row now.
He has some real knuckle
heads hunting around him in gun season so he was ready to try archery.
I know not everyone likes x bows but I could never get him out with a compound and this never would have happened.
I guese now I can focus on my buck tag WHATS NEXT
I love archery season.

12 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/02 08:30:01 (permalink)
    Nice! Congratulations on a nice hunt and helping your dad.

mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/02 10:08:54 (permalink)
    Nice buck congrats to your dad and you for setting him up.....I've been using a PSE crossbow for last several years ....love it

STEVE.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/03 07:36:34 (permalink)
    Nice Buck, congrats to him ...
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/03 10:22:19 (permalink)
    Nice buck. Congrats!

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/03 10:59:41 (permalink)
    Awesome. Love to see generations enjoying the outdoors. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/03 11:58:24 (permalink)
    Awesome!! 

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/03 22:38:19 (permalink)
    I went over to my dads today he is still GLOWING with joy! We went up and walked his 20 ac. and talked about deer signs and land management plans a lil'. He has been discouraged by gun season results but this hunt has gotten him right back into it GREAT to see. Just another vote here for NO SUNDAY HUNTING not trying to open that can of worms again but it is nice to go out and not worry about pushing deer to other hunters 1 day a week.
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/04 19:46:17 (permalink)
    I can only imagine how he feels now!!!...Just a thought here...not trying to open a can of worms...but here's my view on Sunday hunting.....Take into account guys like me, who never get to hunt during the week because we have little to no vacation and get out of work too late to hunt.  I only hunt in NY because i can hunt on Sundays. It makes it sooooo much easier for all hunters. I have never heard anyone over there say how mad they were about guys hunting on Sunday and how many more deer get shot than PA.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the deer herd in NY. As a matter of fact, we see more deer AND deer just as big as Gary Alt's Big Bucks with NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS over there.  If you dont want to hunt on Sundays, Dont. Post your land, do whatever, but some of us would really love the opportunity.  Sorry to get off topic here but i had to throw my two cents in here. 

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/04 20:48:30 (permalink)
    I respect yours and others opinion and probably would feel the same if my work wasn't flexible.
    I just like it the way it is AR and no Sunday hunting.
    Does NY have as may hunters per square mile and as many doe tags handed out?
    AR are really working in my opinion bucks are bigger on average and some real big boys being killed.I just wish there were not as many does being killed.
    Opinions vary that's fine everyone is different but we all are in this together and need to follow regs however the are written PEACE BRO!
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/04 21:16:02 (permalink)
    I do agree with you there, but in NY they don't mess around with doe tags. Every archery hunter gets a Doe tag and an either sex tag no matter what and you have the option to buy as more doe tags  for $10....I don't feel that antler restrictions are working.  The object of ARs was not to produce bigger bucks, but to produce a more wide-spread age differential in the deer herd, which would in turn cause the deer population to rise, which in my opinion has not happened in the past 8 years.

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/05 22:30:09 (permalink)
    Allright I'll bite....
    We agree not as many deer as there used to be!
    Antler restrictions are giving us a better range of deer age I think but I am not convinced in any way that the PGC wanted more deer they want less!
    That's why so many tags are givin out and all these doe seasons and since its harder to kill a buck more people are killing does PGC is happy but are the hunters????
    If we kept the antler  Restrictions and cut the doe tags in half I think we all would be happy but that's just a dream we all have em'
    YADA YADA YADA......
    Deer like this used to be rare this was taken 150yds from my back door.....

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: Set my dad up w/xbow he scored biggest buck yet. 2013/11/06 09:02:09 (permalink)
    Pre-AR, our buck harvest consisted of 80%+ 1.5 YO bucks.

Since AR, our buck harvest now consists of around 50% 1.5 YO bucks, which is close to the national average in that category.  And if you are interested in rack size (which is heavily dependent upon age IMO), you should know that more than half of the top 100 archery bucks and about 20% of the top 100 rifle bucks in PA were taken post-AR according to the PGC's big game records.     

Congrats to your dad on a great buck, WCW.  Sorry for veering off topic. 
    Jump to: