Fall steelhead tech techniques

Author
Troutcommander1031
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/17 11:16:45 (permalink)

Fall steelhead tech techniques

Hey guys just wanted to throw some tips out there for any new guys trying to get into their first steel.

1. Now is the time to get into fresh steel that have just come in. Fish aggressively don't be afraid to throw lures. Rebel craw dad, flatfish, paperweight spoons rapalas, buggers or any other lure that the fish can't stand to look at. Go for reaction bites, that's how you rack up I numbers in the fall.

2. Don't be afraid to stray from the pack. For example if you have hundreds of fish in font of you getting beat on all day and no takers, seek out the smaller pods of fish away from the crowds who are more willing.

3. Don't be afraid to take that gamble and walk a bit sometimes the fish are higher than what you think.

4. Try a subtle approach if you have a drift. Size 18 hook single egg very light line small float. Or even sometime ninny with no weight.

5. Also don't forget the lake you an have outstanding days there if conditions are right. Seek a south wind which should keep the lake calm.

6. Sometimes when float fishing keep in mind the water temp. It dictates where fish will hold in the water column they are not always on the bottom like in winter.

Hope this helps the new guys. If your having trouble guys keep fishing it's a learning curve. And eventually you will have a break through day which helps with confidence. Confidence is 90 % of the battle. My first four trips I went to erie I got the skunk but I stuck it out and it paid off. Tight lines guys

5 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re: Fall steelhead tech techniques 2013/10/17 12:01:40 (permalink)
    If your float stops, slightly moves, tips, or anything that changes from a normal drift, IMMEDIATELY set the hook.  You would be surprised at how many fish you will hook into, that you likely would not think to set the hook while fishing for other species.  Keep your eyes focused on it, the entire drift. 

Set your drag light enough, that it won't break your light tippet/line, but not so loose that you aren't gaining line on a tired fish.  Use your palm on your spool for extra bite on the hookset.   Easier to do on a fly rod, and one of many reasons the fly rod is superior to spinning for this type of fishing (besides looking like a knuckle dragger).
    NAsteelheader
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Fall steelhead tech techniques 2013/10/17 17:11:09 (permalink)
    I agree with most of this advise. However, If you are inexperienced with steelhead fishing in the streams, Please stay away from lure throwing. This leads to too many Foul hooked fish. Especially the lures with multible or treble  hooks.

It's your fish story,so tell it any way you want!!!
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2559
    Re: Fall steelhead tech techniques 2013/10/17 17:23:57 (permalink)
    Agree with the previous post. Nice to see somebody at least trying to offer some advice and not be critical or contentious of others.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Fall steelhead tech techniques 2013/10/17 22:10:22 (permalink)
    NAsteelheader
    I agree with most of this advise. However, If you are inexperienced with steelhead fishing in the streams, Please stay away from lure throwing. This leads to too many Foul hooked fish. Especially the lures with multible or treble  hooks.

Accidents can happen but, last year was my first successful year for steel my girlfriend and I caught 3 and I had 2 other hook ups, all we used were lures mostly Joe's Flies.  Last year I tried the single egg drift on a #14 hook and failed as well as emerald shiners.  So anyone can say what they want about someone that throws spinners and spoons, I won't hide or lie when I say that I will use what works for me at the time.  And when throwing them I would always expect the worst (foul hook) but if you don't rip EVER little nudge or tap you should have minimal foul/snag hooked fish.  Even though accidents happen but are preventable...
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    Re: Fall steelhead tech techniques 2013/10/17 22:15:12 (permalink)
    When used in the right way lures can be effective and snag no more than drifted bait or flies for sure.
    Jump to: