Blade baits

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/07 21:20:51 (permalink)

Blade baits

I just picked some up from the auction site, and planning to paint. Has anyone painted any before? I was planning to follow how I do wood baits and jig heads. Base coat with flat white rustoleum oil based enamel. Then airbrush with acrylic, then top coat with clear coat epoxy. Just wondering where you hold these for the clear coat epoxy? I use the bill for wood baits and hook for jig heads. Since the entire lure would be getting a clear coat. I did some in the past with nail polish and markers, which worked, but not cleanest look. I'm thinking maybe clear coat with lacquer, but prefer the epoxy since it is less toxic, but needs rotated while drying. I'm wondering if I did a very thin coat of epoxy, it might not need turned? I use the Envirotex Lite epoxy. Does it sound like the base coat will work? Also planning a few without the base coat and airbrush on the metal, then clear coat.

Anyone have any tips on using them? I know they are one of the top lures for Pymie. I've had ok success with them on other waters, as well as Pymie. I've donated about 25 to the rivers over the years... Any colors that anyone has had particularly good success with?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/08 07:37:24 (permalink)
     I like solid silver...cast and medium fast retrieve....one of my best Bay baits.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/08 12:03:21 (permalink)
    I used to use a lot of them in the river. Either cast and retrieved, vertically jigged, or cast and bounced off the bottom. I wouldn't put too much effort into painting them. They like snags.  Also sometimes the ones that were beat up from bouncing off the rocks worked the best. They are real good for off color water because of the vibration so I would paint a few in neon colors. The White bass used to slam them in the river so it would not surprise me if the Stripers at Moraine liked the. Never tried them for Stripers there.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/08 12:30:37 (permalink)
    I was thinking the same for the wipers at Artie.  I have used smaller ones there, and got some crappie in deep structure, but no wipers or eyes.  I am hoping the larger ones get their attention.  The lake definitely fits the stained water category, that they seem to be made for.

I hear you on the snags.  I quit using them in the rivers, since they'd end up caught up after 4-5 casts.  Although, that was mostly from shore, cast and retrieve.  I plan on vertical jigging with these ones, to hopefully stay away from the hang ups a little more.  As for spending the time on them, I don't mind too much.  After the kids are in bed, I am looking for something to keep me away from the couch/TV and enjoy farting around with the airbrush and lure crafting.  I'd imagine with their fast back and forth movement of these, detail wouldn't make much difference anyway.  I've done a few lures with some detail, but the fish don't seem to favor them over the simple paint jobs...  I just like the fade that the airbrush gives, and takes very little effort to do, if not doing 10 colors or using a ton of stencils for detail, ect.
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/08 14:30:17 (permalink)
    i jig for smallies with them in the lake. one of my go too's
    toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/09 16:21:31 (permalink)
    I use lure tape
    but if u really want to paint silver/blue
    Use braid w/ 12-17lb mono leader
    Get a good lure retriever
     these lures are great but they love to snag
    my lure retriever is heavy and follows the line down  I get back my lures 95% of the time

SIZE MATTERS
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/09 23:12:29 (permalink)
    I have caught every fish that swims on blade baits,Sonar,Silver buddies and last but not least Vibe-E's.Eyes,and N. pike in Canada,Eyes ,white bass,crappie and some jumbo perch out of Pymy.Thousands of smallmouths out of Erie of shades beach and a few stray eyes,rock bass and perch. iI caught  a few really big 8-9 lb eyes and some 8-14 lb cats out of Moraine.I ever caught a 45 inch musky at the spillway on a 1/8 Vibe-E. I use a snap lock and vertical jig. One time I did cast them at Pymy down by the dam at jimtown and caught 45 big whitebass.  It's a good ice fishing lure also,I like the small 1/8 oz and Cicada's.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Blade baits 2013/08/10 16:41:40 (permalink)
    I tried dipping in the enamel, big mistake. It is too thick and had a big run blob starting. I soaked them in mineral spirits and then sprayed with a flat white base instead. Definitely a nicer look. I also buffed some of the brass ones with my dremmel. They look great. I tried to lacquer, but didn't come out how I would have liked. Going to try the epoxy top coat for the next ones. If not, I guess just wax them and have to buff every so often?

Thanks for the replies. Will help a lot with the confidence trying these. Tried to convince the family to head out today, but denied... I'll try again tomorrow.
    Jump to: