RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BorgCollective
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Reward points: 0
Re:RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories! 2013/09/05 06:01:51 (permalink)
slabdaddy

Mahoning is close to 100ft deep and I know there are some big fish in there.

We must be missing something, never seen anything even close to 100' there...

Yes, we are still here!
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
Re:RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories! 2013/09/05 10:19:10 (permalink)
Borg, I live about 12 miles from Mahoning Dam. I've been fishing it for nearly 30 years. If you've never seen 80', you've never fished close to the dam. Where the ties are (a string of RR ties that rope off dangerous waters close to the dam) it is over 90ft during summer pool. During the spring and fall, they drop the levels to winter pool which is 22ft below normal summer pool. Most people don't fish in those deep waters. Mostly people fish upstream or they fish the edges. That's probably why you've never seen those depths.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
Fish5000
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 694
Re:RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories! 2013/09/05 16:02:37 (permalink)
  Yet another example of I.G. -  Did anybody see on TV [ it's been repeated at least 5 times that I know of] a crocodile in [ Indonesia?] that was measured at 20'? Then they found a fisherman that lived on the river and he said one was frequenting his houseboat. It stretched from one point of his boat to another point and when the boat was measured it was ~29'! No, they didn't have the body, but it was sighted and judging from the scutes, it was said to be the largest croc they've ever witnessed."Slides" in Australia have been measured and they have deduced there are some abnormally large crocs in the Northern territories. I wouldn't doubt that. 
  Crocs are patient, clever killers. I'm fascinated by them, 'gators as well as gharials, but scared to death of large crocs. They appear to be lifeless on the bank and then strike like greased lighting. Heck, the "small" ones of 12' are scary and the very large ones are just as fast as h small ones. They can easily make short work of a man in little time. Measure out 29" and think about it.
NotherOne
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
Re:RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories! 2014/01/04 22:52:27 (permalink)
river monsters profile lists the name of jackie forester. a google search shows this is the name of a producer on the show. this may be legit.
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re:RIVER MONSTERS wants to hear your stories! 2014/01/09 18:35:08 (permalink)
It would be cool to see a River Monsters show featuring this area, but I think he already talked about/fished for big flatheads(in Oklahoma maybe? Somewhere out there) on one of his shows, and I can't really think of any other fish that could cause any harm to people other than maybe muskies, and of course fish tales like the Loch Ness monster, etc. There's definitely some monster cats in our lakes and rivers, but like I said he already covered flats, blues, and channels on one of his shows. Would still be interesting though!

dakota kid
It was most likely not caught in lake erie as labeled?  

The sturgeon in the link was caught out west. Columbia River I believe, which actually was on one of the shows..

bcain
I have never heard of this monster in Erie.

Me neither. Sounds interesting...definitely gonna look it up! 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: