Gopro?

Author
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/21 16:40:09 (permalink)

Gopro?

Been considering a Gopro for misc hunting video.  I would primarily use during archery.  Anyone have experience with these?  I'm not too serious about videoing hunts, but rather just have fun.  Somewhat concerned about the visibility, non-camo finish.  I figure a little tape in right spots would take care of that though.  How about low-light video?  Weight?  Is it realistic to attach to your hat?  Any concerns with really cold temps?

I have a lot a Cabelas cash banked, so pretty much it's Gopro or Spypoint.

5 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    Re:Gopro? 2013/07/21 17:09:22 (permalink)
    My opinion on this is that these type video cameras are best suited for filming oneself during activities and not the activity itself if that makes sense.  The action will look quite far away and the subject(deer/ turkey) will look pretty small unless they are very close(within 10 yards). With that said, they are the easiest to use for filming hunts. 

For self filming hunts it is best to buy a tree arm and a small HD camcorder for $300-400. You can zoom and the image will be still. But, self filming with a zoom camera that must be controlled by you is s tough deal. Many hunts will be blown trying to get it right. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re:Gopro? 2013/07/21 17:27:44 (permalink)
    That's what I was thinking.  Right now, the hunt is worth way more to me than the video.  So I'm not willing to blow the deal messing with a tree mounted cam trying to zoom and get a good kill shot.  From what I saw on Youtube, the wide angle makes deer and other game look really small.  The Cabelas bucks are burning a hole in my pocket.  Looking to have some fun.  May try with fishing too.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re:Gopro? 2013/07/21 23:11:25 (permalink)
    You can mount a go pro to your head or chest and get nice video. There is a remote you can buy also. Takes decent shots in low light. I,ll be trying mine this year for sure .
    Heres a vid I did in Montana.... 13:27
    Fish Fish and more Fish
  • 102 views 1 month ago

IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    Re:Gopro? 2013/07/22 09:45:28 (permalink)
    Another thing is the settings you can play with on the GoPro.  Choose Narrow or Medium field of view instead of Wide angle and you'll help with the issue of the deer or turkey looking really far away.  We use them for duck/goose hunting a lot and you can wear the head strap mount and hardly notice it's there.  Best footage though seems to be from fixed position and let the camera roll.  You can even mount them to your bow itself on the stabilizer or riser.

Low light is terrible though unless you have sky as the backdrop - even then it's hard to see incoming birds so that low-light buck cruising through just at end of LST will be tough to capture clearly.  Love the GoPros and you can use them for what you're doing, just keep some of this info in mind.  I have the Hero2 and want to upgrade to the 3 - black edition with the remote, etc.  The burst shots are really cool and you can even capture your arrow in mid flight... pretty neat stuff.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re:Gopro? 2013/07/30 22:45:08 (permalink)
    The GoPro App lets you control your camera remotely, preview shots and play back content on your smartphone or tablet. Plus, it makes it easy to share your favorite photos and videos¹ via email, text, Instagram™, Facebook® and more.

Jump to: