Presque Isle Bay smallies still there?

Author
archman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/24 22:31:49 (permalink)

Presque Isle Bay smallies still there?

I know they typically head back to the lake now.  Are they still there?  If so, how are the weeds? About two weeks ago we hammered them in 3 to 5 feet of water around the monument.

1 Reply Related Threads

MisterZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:Presque Isle Bay smallies still there? 2013/06/25 00:44:17 (permalink)
    I would say no, or barely, but that's based on 2 days of fishing this past weekend, so not much to go on. The first week of June I had plenty of numbers but limited size - got 6 over 3 pounds but did not break 4. But they certainly were still around.

This past weekend we caught 4 in the Bay, and we were the only boat messing around near the monument in the morning Sunday. Very sloppy around there, far too weedy for me. Guess you can flip that junk if you find some holes, but I wasn't interested - too murky to really see much anyway.

We saw a few bass boats deeper around the channel but we didn't catch any out there. Weeds are awful overall, I won't even fish the Bay again this year if I can get on the lake.

The only real smallie activity within the Bay that I noticed was at the wall in the Channel mostly. Bass boats line up on it all the time. I don't like messing with it. I'm not even sure it's legal to fish in the Channel. I don't care about posting it, I hope it gets so crowded someone finally cracks down on it. I only saw little bass being caught anyway.

I did see two guys in a bass boat release about 10 smallies all around 2-3 pounds or so near there. Guessing they were just releasing tournament fish as it was about 3:30 p.m. And I'd also guess those bass didn't come from the Bay.

Another note, we really struggled to find them Main Lake close to PIB. Only 10 bass Sunday, and a lot of small ones. I would have been fishing deeper if I had the right setup but we were renting a small boat and fishing 5-20ft. Ran as far as the Cribs Saturday and about 27' deep but it was just a bit too rough for our boat so we headed back to shore.

Regardless, if I were you I'd try to find some reports out of North East or look deeper on the main lake.

Jump to: