Thinnest wire hooks

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/19 09:04:37 (permalink)

Thinnest wire hooks

Hey guys, I'm looking for the thinnest wire hooks that I can find. I would like them in a #12 or #14. A wider gap would be best. I don't know anything about fly tying so be patient with me. My goal is to tie a dumbell head on it and fish it vertically. It is really important that I get the thinnest hook available though. I don't want to order hooks and end up with hooks that are too heavy. Thank you.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

7 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 09:37:33 (permalink)
    What kind of hook/ shank are you looking for? Pain old eagle claw Aberdeen hooks are pretty light wire (able to be bent then bent back). I use them for some steamer patterns.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 09:43:23 (permalink)
    A longer shank would be ok. An aberdeen would work. I've looked at the ones you mentioned. I'm hoping to find something even thinner. I've seen ice jigs that had these super-thin wire hooks that were so thin they were hard to see. They were also ridiculously sharp. There were hard too. If you tried to bend them, they snapped. They didn't bend. I'm looking for something like that.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 13:52:25 (permalink)
    Just get a pack of lead heads?

The light wire hooks I'm familiar with would all be unsuitable for what you describe.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 17:36:38 (permalink)
    Cold, I've looked at a lot of jigs and they just don't have what I need. If I could get ahold of some ultra light wire hooks, I could probably make them work. I'd be more than happy to look at the ones that you are familiar with. The lighter, the better. BTW, the dumbells are tungsten. I want the weight without the size. I might also use tungsten wire. IDK yet. I'm always "inventing" something. LOL. Sometimes my homemade lures work better than anything I can buy.

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 18:50:30 (permalink)
    Do you know who made the jigs you speak of? They may sell the hooks bare? Are you talking about the hooks they use on those tiny tungsten ice jigs? Marmooskas?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 18:56:23 (permalink)
    These Aberdeens say extra light wire, but I've never seen them in person. http://www.matzuo.com/Hooks_25s.aspx
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Thinnest wire hooks 2013/06/19 19:27:14 (permalink)
    I'm digging the extra light wire, but I'm not sure about the sickle hook. If I can't find anything else, I might give those a try. Thank you FishinGuy.

Jump to: