What do you all think

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/15 17:17:14 (permalink)

What do you all think

There was some discussion by the commissioners to start spring turkey in late April every year or around May1st at the latest at the request of sportsmen that feel our season starts too late. Next year I think it starts on May 4th. The motion failed to gain support because the biologists were fearful of a negative impact to the resource with too many gobblers killed and too much disruption to laying hens. 

Well, this season was a pretty good experiment as it hasn't started this early in some time. For those that have been out, what are your impressions as far as harvest and disrupution to laying hens.

Personally, I have enjoyed hunting in woods that are not a far along in leaf out as previously. I feel safer too. I killed two birds but do not think the hunting was any easier than years past. Maybe a bit more difficult because of henned up toms. I haven't noticed a upswing in harvests from others nor any noticeable reference to bumping hens.

I wish our season started late April every year and I will be making another push for it again at the close of this season. We should have some good data from the earlier start to look at. 

My rifle is a black rifle

16 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/15 18:57:38 (permalink)
    Start it a week earlier.  Weekend after opening day of trout and dump the youth day.  Take your youths out with you regardless.

Hunting is much more enjoyable before the bugs and fully leafed out.  For us weekenders, we really only get 2 Saturdays before skeeters and leaves.  And usually one of them is terrible weather.  While they're at it, open Sunday too.  Get rid of the second tag if they must have some balance.
    SteelieWheelie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/15 21:03:08 (permalink)
    Get rid of the second tag, and open up Sundays for hunting.  This no Sunday hunting is a load of garbage.  Also, i do think the season should start earlier, the birds are more active, but on the same note it can be harder to kill a nice bird due to them being "henned up".  I would also like to say that i lovveeee  hunting with a lot of cover and foliage in the woods.  i feel that it hides you better and the birds have to come looking a little harder for that hen that's calling their name. At the same time, it can be dangerous because you really blend in when all of the leaves and shrubs are out, which can also work to your advantage.

Early to bed
    Early to rise
    Fish like hell
    And make up lies!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 04:53:28 (permalink)
    Leave the season as it is. The biologists are correct. Do away with the second tag and eliminate all day hunting. Do not add Sunday hunting. The turkey population is down over 30% "statewide" and more than that in many areas. Putting more pressure on the gobblers just assures we will not have many mature birds to hunt in future years. I refuse to shoot jakes and that is mostly what I have seen. I should have been one and done but instead am still out there disrupting the hens trying for the second bird. The hot weather and bugs suck but better that than having only young birds to hunt. As with deer, If the population was healthy "statewide" I would probably feel differently.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 06:38:44 (permalink)
    s-10,

I agree numbers are down but do you think the earlier start this year significantly increased the harvest and disruption to laying hens?

The discussion was occurring because of differing green up periods across the state. Going earlier was shot down by the biologists statewide because of potential impacts. The question will be at the close of this season is whether the earlier start mattered or not.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 09:43:56 (permalink)
    OK I am NOT from PA.
     Experience however on this issue is in Ct- We started our season early a few years back. Its a very nice time to hunt with fewer leaves and bugs and often finds the Birds in full mating time.
     How often have you hunted in mid to late May only to find that IT is generally over and Toms are silent and hard to move ???
        A week earlier solves that and makes a much nicer season- especially for those who have limited time in the woods- it gives more quality time .
      Yes birds seem on the decline pretty much all over- yea there are pockets but generally- down- even where hunting is limited or even not allowed at all- something is happening..
       Here they still have a 3 Tom limit ???.
     I might well agree with fewer birds- something here like one Tom in Spring and one -any bird- in fall. Presently we can total a half dozen all together- not realistic considering the trends we seem to be seeing..
     I do NOT believe it impacts poult production- where I hunt there is well over a thousand acres and only 67 is hunted and only by me- the large numbers of birds the area boasted for years has gone- even without any hunting by me in the past two years. NEVER shot hens there as I liked to 'manage' the flock to some degree and observed the decline start some time back..
       I stopped going there because of the decline even though it is in my backyard hoping they would bounce back in time- It got worse.
        . The general decline clearly is due to other factors..
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/05/16 09:52:07
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 12:20:32 (permalink)
    Anytime the season starts earlier there will be more turkey killed and more disruption for the hens for the same reason that people want a earlier start.

The weather is cooler so you cover more ground than if it was hot.
    There are fewer bugs so you tend to stay out longer and sit quieter
    You can see better due to less foliage
    You can hear the birds better due to less foliage
    You can shoot further
    The gobblers are more active

RG-- You may have a 3 tom limit but you don't have 220,000 spring hunters either.
    post edited by S-10 - 2013/05/16 12:23:43
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 12:41:40 (permalink)
    Your right 10- we are VERY much smaller and VERY much more urban and highly populated which results in  even lower acreage to hunt.
     And-- we still have a 3 Tom limit- not realistic IMHO.
      One might think the real comparison would be a birds to square mile number which I dont know. All too often here we are stuck with 20 or 30 acres surrounded by Urban sprawl as opposed to the 'big woods or  farm areas.
       Same with our Deer Hunting. Surprisingly  those areas are often teeming with game because of the surrounding NO areas- seems much game has acclimated to those kind of conditions. Your still stuck with one stand or spot for the day in many cases though.
        Not the same as being able to pickup and just move.
      IT CAN GET IRRITATING WHEN YOU TRAVEL TO GO TO A 'SPOT' AND SOMEBODY IS OUT DOG WALKING THAT MORNING -LOL.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 12:50:06 (permalink)
    Open the season a week earlier south of I-80.  South of I-80 leafs out sooner and I think the breeding is affected as well.  

I haven't even been out this year but I do know there are plenty of turkeys in the areas I travel here in the SW corner.  

My opinion on SH is it should be open for all game and all seasons.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 15:26:35 (permalink)
    Might have to agree with eyes on the south of 80 comment. I have relation in several places that direction and they claim to have lots of birds and it does green up much earlier on average. Hell, I had tracking snow a few days ago for the mornings hunt.
    JLBSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 20:21:09 (permalink)
    Hunt OH its earlier, not to expensive, lotsa birds

JB
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 20:41:42 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Open the season a week earlier south of I-80.  South of I-80 leafs out sooner and I think the breeding is affected as well.  

I haven't even been out this year but I do know there are plenty of turkeys in the areas I travel here in the SW corner.  

Pretty much what I have been asking for but keep getting pushed back by the biologists concerned about the impact of a earlier start. With climates being so different, the northern areas are 2-3 weeks behind the southern areas.  How is it that somehow the northern birds can handle a start that is earlier, climate wise, than southern birds. I don't get it at all.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 20:42:49 (permalink)
    S-10 

Anytime the season starts earlier there will be more turkey killed and more disruption for the hens for the same reason that people want a earlier start.

Just asking as I don't know. Do past harvest stats support that assertion? It will be interesting to see the harvest stats this year.  I am not sure more were harvested as the gobblers were way more henned up in these parts during the early part of the season. 

The weather is cooler so you cover more ground than if it was hot. 
    There are fewer bugs so you tend to stay out longer and sit quieter 
    You can see better due to less foliage 
    You can hear the birds better due to less foliage 
    You can shoot further 
    The gobblers are more active 

Surely bonuses. What matters though is if the harvests are too high and if it would affect the resource. Not sure that the harvest of male turkeys affects populations though.  Maybe disruption to laying hens does.

Flossie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/16 23:05:00 (permalink)
    Leave the seasons as they are .number of reasons for turkey decline hunting is a small part . predators  are having a big impact on poults especially in years with poor hatches.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/17 08:35:39 (permalink)
    Agree on the predators- Yotes come in when calling regularly and Redtails are everywhere- one might think though as food sources dry up the predator populations would diminish - not seeing that. Heck- even bunnies  are getting to be a rare sight.
     Fella trappin Beaver down the swamp by me this year had a coon in a trap and something ripped it up- Fisher?. They too have become commonplace.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/28 17:30:06 (permalink)
    Been watching a rather big contest to monitor success rates.  Last year hunters enjoyed a 21% success rate. With only a few days to go this year, success is running at 18%. Was the earlier start the bad thing the turkey biologists keep warning us about? I think not. It is something other than hunting that is affecting the populations. 

I know one thing, hunting in this part of the state before green up got out of control was a nice change. I don't think it affected success one iota but the hunt was surely more pleasurable this year.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:What do you all think 2013/05/28 22:35:51 (permalink)
    We went to the early start not long back and I think it may have been just a way to make Hunters Happy kinda like you guys are likely seeing. If it does increase the kill rate its likely not being seen due to the bird pop drops that have appeared  in so many places.
     Turks need help but frankly am not well versed enough to figure out the reason for the declines- perhaps there  are many issues working all at the same time.
       .Just kinda really glad to have experienced them in their 'high times'. Gonna take a longggg time for them to bounce back in my areas.
    Jump to: