Interesting Point on CWD

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/05 08:16:13 (permalink)

Interesting Point on CWD

At a gathering of hunting folks yesterday, ironically a bird dog day, not anything to do with deer at all, someone made the point that they had, through discussions with wildlife biologists who should be close to the CWD situation in PA and a animal disease research biologist from Purdue (the university, not the chicken) who is studying CWD, learned that all cases of CDW were discovered in shot or road killed deer and none were found among any dead deer that died of natural causes.  This leads to the question, does CWD actually kill deer?

I came in in the middle of the conversation, so I don't know what was discussed previous to that point.  But I thought I would throw it up here and see if anyone else has heard a similar view or if there is any debate to the opposite.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

12 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/05 18:11:34 (permalink)
    Older male deer are more likely to actually die from CWD. Thing is, in many states, a old male deer is pretty rare. Especially in Pa.  

Many times, other causes of mortality will get to a CWD positive deer before the disease manifests itself.

My rifle is a black rifle
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/05 19:20:59 (permalink)

DPM- does that mean that younger likely healthier Deer actually get better when they catch it ?? or do they just have the  means to not catch it at all ??
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/06 00:21:45 (permalink)
    I agree dpms.  That is pretty much in synch with what I have read on the disease as well.   And that is why, as usual, pgcs position on something deer related makes no sense:

"The Game Commission's wildlife veterinarian Walt Cottrell addressed this topic in a recent public meeting held in Roaring Spring, Pa., in Blair County, where two wild deer that tested positive for chronic wasting disease were killed by hunters last fall.
    He said if the disease becomes endemic to Pennsylvania – as it’s done everywhere else – deer populations will suffer."

"In Wisconsin, which became the first state east of the Mississippi with CWD when it was discovered there in 2001, the disease has spread in the outbreak area to the point that 25 percent of all adult bucks are impacted.
    Pennsylvania, with its similar population densities of whitetails, might expect similar effects, Cottrell said.
    The herd will decline over time,” he said, though he made no predictions about how severe the drop might be or how long it would take to occur."

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/06 05:42:17 (permalink)
    That was the point that was made during the conversation -- no wild deer were documented of having died from the disease, just that ones that were killed had the disease.

From a skeptical point of view, this almost sounds like " I have 10 more years to go until retirement as a research scientist, so I need another grant, because this thing needs more study because of what it "might" do."

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/08 07:06:59 (permalink)
    It will be interesting to see how the PaGC handles the check stations and how , if you cannot take the head or spine from the area, what the hunter will have to do to take the rest home? Maybe they hired the Predator, who can rip the spine right out of the deer. I have done that to a few of my agressors, in my life, but am getting too old to do that on a regular basis....WF
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/08 09:05:22 (permalink)
    World Famous

It will be interesting to see how the PaGC handles the check stations and how , if you cannot take the head or spine from the area, what the hunter will have to do to take the rest home? Maybe they hired the Predator, who can rip the spine right out of the deer. I have done that to a few of my agressors, in my life, but am getting too old to do that on a regular basis....WF

WF,
    Didn't that get a little messy?????

RG,
    CWD is similar to Alzheimers or CJD in humans.  They can be carrying it but it may take several years for the deer to manifest symptoms of it and ultimately, die from it.  Others, who knows, they may be carriers yet never exhibit symptoms of it and others may never, ever get it even when exposed.  I don't think there have been nearly enough research put into it to make definitive statements either way.

I'm wondering if male deer are more susceptible to getting it due to all the scent marking/licking they do, esp. in the fall.  I know doe do it too but bucks do it way more.  Glandular secretions and saliva are said to have the prions in it and that may be a vector.  

I am just concerned about the possible transmission from infected deer to humans by way of consumption.
    They say it isn't transmissible yet, they have confirmed that similar diseases in other livestock (sheep, cattle) have jumped species and infected humans by way of consumption.  Remember, cows originally got it from being fed bone meal, etc. that was rendered from sheep that were infected with scrapie (their form of it).  Humans then got it from Mad Cow (BSE) infected cattle, mainly in the UK.

I won't knowingly eat a CWD infected deer;  that is one definitive statement I can make.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/09 06:51:35 (permalink)
    retired guy

DPM- does that mean that younger likely healthier Deer actually get better when they catch it ?? or do they just have the  means to not catch it at all ??

Cwd is usually fatal to any deer that contracts it. Thing is though, deer need to live for a long time for the disease to manifest itself. In pa's case, our deer do not get very old.

It has also been shown that male deer are more likely to contract the disease than females. The are a variety of reasons fro this but they are speculation. Most likely due to male deer scent checking more often.

Combine that males are affected more than females with the fact that deer that die from cwd are usually old, I don't think we will see much affect in PA.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/09 11:22:25 (permalink)
    Great reason, though , for the powers that be, to use this as an excuse when the "estimated" antlered harvest is down next year or the following few years.....WF... How soon we forget everything....messy, yes, but nothing handi wipes won't take care of !!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/09 18:32:47 (permalink)
    So should we A) go back to no AR so that, according to the PGC, hunters harvest 80% of the 1.5 year-olds and thereby save them from suffering with this terrible disease, B) kill more anterless deer because that will solve the issue, or C) study this more, but keep it in the forefront until certain people are able to retire?

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/10 05:44:44 (permalink)
    After a little more thought,I'm kinda likin the idea of rippin out their spines.....WF...Army Ranger motto...killum all and let God sortum out.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/30 01:19:38 (permalink)
    If the disease takes a long time to manifest itself, like years...whose to say we haven't eaten an infected deer before?
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re:Interesting Point on CWD 2013/05/30 06:46:55 (permalink)
    It is safe to say that across this country, many cwd infected cervids have been consumed. It is widespread in other areas.

Jump to: