new faced problem

Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2013/04/27 17:22:45 (permalink)

new faced problem

so my sister lives near a large tract of public hunting in venango county ... 3 years ago the wildlife was everywhere rarely didnt see deer ... or a turkey ... now come to present and it seems the plot is vacant! food is usually always to be found and hunting pressure not exactly higher but for about the last 2 years anyhow a couple local kids pretty much ride wheelers 365! iv travels these wooods from archery to rifle and now to spring turkey and all but during rifle was my hunts busted ... but i think the damage has been done ... took easily 3 sq mile walk today and not a lick of sign from turkey and very low deer sign as well ... so i guess im ranting / building a question ... with that much riding is it safe to just count out this area for a while ... i have other plots to hunt but this has always been one of my farvorite areas to sneak away ... just a shame to see what its become ... i dont believe it was ever way above average , but now id love to even see that

7 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    Re:new faced problem 2013/04/27 22:14:15 (permalink)
    Left two pieces of PVT property over the past few years for the same reason.
    Both are prime examples of the HUNTERS and GUN being bad- not the damages or trespass but the GUNS and HUNTERS---
      On one of them the neighbors who let their kids ride all over the farm and woods I hunted had the bulls to repeatedly call the police cause I 'coulda shot their kid' . They definately never saw me but musta noticed my truck by the Barn when daylight came- they lived nearby the Farm. ATVs tore the place up.
     Actually I only ever hunted there during the week and generally in the AM when the kids were in school - I never saw them or heard then riding. Police actually came to the landowner a few times about it and landowner told them the kids were the trespassers and I had permission.
      It continued with NO action on the kids-and the landowner gettin repeated calls from the PD about Hunters in the woods.
     I shot once or sometimes in a good season twice a year there-generally one shot each time- betcha they never even heard me- just sat home all scardey cat-ANTIS
     I bugged-Urban life.
     This year an anti became manager of my favored spot for over the past 44 years - DONE  no permits given, ATVs on the place all the time- no action taken on them.
     An ya wonder why some guys just poach.
      Did take note of  times of day they ride- evenings during the week and early on weekends- It certainly did alter Deer movement in both places.
      Not the right Thread for this but they were both cases of URBAN ANTI GUN FEVER- and not cases of wrong dong or damage- The ATV guys care for that and they are still in both spots.
      Lesson - when they start showing in numbers - get out.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/04/28 10:14:16
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/23 11:06:59 (permalink)
    If I have permission to ride an atv on private property how does that make me anti-hunting.. or the land owner ...  just because maybe you, a hunter, also have permission to hunt or be there.... just do not get the connection there to anti hunting ???????

and this part makes no sense to me..

It continued with NO action on the kids-and the landowner gettin repeated calls from the PD about Hunters in the woods.

sounds like the landowner would rather have the ATVs than hunters or he would rather put up with them rather than start a war with the neigbhors over them by enforcing tresspassing laws ...???  but yet allows you to hunt there too.. ?????

I see no connection to anti -hunting.. just a landowner who wants to have it both ways.... and keep everyone happy..

enforcing tresspassing laws against NEIGHBORS... can lead to NOTHING but trouble down the road in most cases ...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/23 11:41:09 (permalink)
    Agree with ya Doc on the landowners concerns and lack of action with a neighbor being involved- thats why I got out.
    Point to remember bout the ATV riding- YOU quite likely drive around much differently than a bunch of KIDS.
     The second area I mentioned where the Deer stayed is primarily used by young adults who are riding for pleasure and NOT tearing the place up to pieces. They generally stick to the trails and ride through without too much disturbance.
       Big diff between riding through for pleasure and seeing how much dirt ya can tear up and noise ya can make on someone elses place. Have seen them ride in circles tearing up for long periods  and then moving on to do the same someplace else.      
        An entire hay field on one place I went was reduced to nothing but a dirt track all dug up and being washed by the rains down to rock. They would come into that area and ride like crazy people for hours at a time, sometimes even driving in with flatbeds with multiple machines on each. It was nuts.. Even with Police action with arrests and towing some ATV's it continued- got outa there too..
     Bet if ya rode like that you'd get a quick phone call   lol.
     Like everything else- not all are bad- just the idiots.

Point on the ANTI stuff- when the lawbreakers are allowed to stay unmolested and the legal hunter is refused further permission by one whos opinions on hunting are known or even by someone who would rather see the legal guy GO than the lawbreaker go for whatever reason then IMHO its ANTI behavior. 
     No different than the landowner who never reports repeated Poacher shooting on his land but  refuses honest  legal hunters permission. Not wanting to 'get involved' on ones own land  but allowing the illegal stuff speaks for itself.  
      Point of the thread was what to do it IT starts ??- my advice was to consider gettin out.  In the example given THEY  had already driven around in such a manner as to chase off the Game and clearly that landowner let it happen.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/05/23 12:03:02
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/23 21:51:58 (permalink)
    I would venture to say that them deer are still around. You might not see them on the main trails ( 4 wheeler highways ), but if they're is food and cover around they will be there. I'd plan my hunts around the 4 wheeler activity. Find the sub-trails, and setup away from the wheeler trails.

BH
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/24 11:14:28 (permalink)
    BloodyHand

I would venture to say that them deer are still around. You might not see them on the main trails ( 4 wheeler highways ), but if they're is food and cover around they will be there. I'd plan my hunts around the 4 wheeler activity. Find the sub-trails, and setup away from the wheeler trails.

BH

+1

I hunt private land, even thought its posted It does get a stay atv rider once in a while. I have seen deer just minutes come by after the wheeler passes. Different case but it might help with the mental aspect.

Also for any one who rides wheelers how many times have you been out riding and got with in bow range of a deer? It has happened many times to me, most of the time they trotted away seemly unphased (as long as you aint chasing them down). Not sure why you can get so close on a machine but cant get near as close just taking a walk, I can think of several reasons of why it could be but nothing is proven.

Who know those kids might hunt as well and stop riding dureing the season or you can hope they do
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/24 13:35:26 (permalink)
    Have found that the Deer do stay in many of those heavily abused areas for food sources however they often go nocturnal  coming and going from nearby areas not used by the ATVs.
     Ya can see the tracks in the snow even in soft early light- they have come in late and left early. In some have evolved into an hours hunt before dark and only stayed bout an hour in the early AM.
       Trail cam verifies the nocturnal coming and going activity too. Should be noted that as Winter comes on and the ATVs diminish or disappear the Cam tells me that the Deer come back with daytime activity again.
     Have also seen Deer just stop and watch folks riding along 'normally' in ATVs- that said there are no Deer to watch where the WHACKOS ride consistently and tear the paces up for long periods of time.
      The original poster kinda indicated his area was the type where the use is heavy as compared to passive.
    post edited by retired guy - 2013/05/24 13:44:11
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:new faced problem 2013/05/25 08:32:21 (permalink)
    the deer will definatly react to ALL human activity. one of the local areas i hunt, less now, private property bordered by corp. private property. the corp. private property has a 10 foot fence around it the fence is old and has trees fallen on it the deer can easily pass back and forth. a new company has bought it and will call the local LEO's on trespassers. the quads can not go in there. the landowner of the private property rents several houses and apartments and has told people if they want that he owns the land they can do what ever. the first year of A.R. i took my Godson out archery and put him in my stand because i have seen a huge 6 point every morning at xx time and i can not take him. big body long tines very nice deer lifetime memory for a 14 year old to take with a bow. sure enough at xx here comes the buck the kid does everything right at full draw waiting for the proper angle, a dirtbike comes blowing through the buck doesnt spook but backs off, dirt bike leaves the buck starts to work his way back, the kid gets ready for his second chance the dirt bike comes back, the buck decides too much work going this way let me go another. now all the deer on my side of the fence are nocturnal.

post edited by just_wanna_fish - 2013/05/25 08:35:58

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    Jump to: