Reading the guages

Author
Troutcommander1031
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/22 17:02:05 (permalink)

Reading the guages

Quick post to help understand and plan your trips around the guages.

I mostly base my trips on weather and the guages. It prefer walnut guage as opposed to brandy run considering Brandt's small size and variables which can be deceiving.

Walnuts ideal Cfs is 60-100

Anyless than 60 low and clear and more thAn 100 fish able but probably more stained than one would like.

Sometimes a crap shoot but the night before if the guage is 300 or less going down very likely could be fishable the next morning. Going up probably will still be chocolate milk. All is based on amount of rainfall. Usually a quarter in or more of rain will blow them out.

Average run off times:

Elk- 1 to 2 days

Walnut- usually 1 solid day

Four-16 mile- 8-12 hours

20 mile- same as walnut but usually runs clearer and with better flow

If your larger streams are up seek small water. If the water is low and clear seek larger tribs.

Hope this helps

4 Replies Related Threads

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Reading the guages 2013/02/23 06:03:19 (permalink)
    I too am a huge guage follower.  I do use the walnut guage to determine the fishability of elk, more so than the brandy run guage.  Given their close proximity, and similiarities in size and structure, i've had no problems using the walnut guage for elk.  I like the numbers you posted above, 60-100 is ideal. Won't bother if guage is reading in the 30s.  Was really itchin to get out one day last week but the guage was only reading 47 cfs.  Went anyway.  Caught fish even tho stain was slight and flow a bit slower than I like.  But at this reading, once the sun started to come out, the water clarity became more and more obvious.  But I am a ridiculously early fisherman, so much so, that I often find myself fishing alone, but I like to beat the sun if I think clarity is going to become a problem.
    post edited by pikepredator2 - 2013/02/23 06:04:22
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Reading the guages 2013/02/24 00:44:46 (permalink)
    trout commander holy cow!  You've posted 5 times and you speak more wisdom and helpfulness than most  people on here!  Welcome to the boards and thanks for the helpful posts.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Reading the guages 2013/02/24 11:03:12 (permalink)
    For those of you who come to fish from a distance and rely on the guages that is good info. Well done TC1031

I dont do the go before sunup thing anymore for steelhead. Fortunately I just gear up and take the short ride to look at the water. If its fishable I go to my usual places. If its not fishable I go home and have another coffee. I should learn the guages for outta state trips though. I have more to learn about that.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re:Reading the guages 2013/02/24 11:33:41 (permalink)

Jump to: