Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net?

Author
chasmo
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/18 23:00:05 (permalink)

Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net?

Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from the net. If so, how and why? I heard some guys do in order to "bleed em out" and make it easier to remove hooks.

6 Replies Related Threads

BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 08:06:01 (permalink)
    NOPE!
    Don't kill it untill it is out of the net, in hand and looked over for problems.
    May need to be released...

Yes, we are still here!
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 13:11:08 (permalink)
    Wait, Sooo what your saying is walleye arent invasive species and should be killed on site?
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 15:25:42 (permalink)
    Better measure them to be sure they are legal.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 17:35:49 (permalink)
    Chasmo,

Like wally cat said. Make sure they are legal first.

I dont recommend killing the fish before you bleed them out. If you kill the walleye, it doesn't bleed out well. The heart stops pumping.

I bleed out all of my walleye. 2 reasons.
    1. The meat is soo much better. Some say whiter too.
    2. The filet table is clean, clean, clean.

I will not put one in the box unbleed. I use a large carabiner (4"maybe) with a 6' rope attached to a tie off. Take the fish out of the net and put the carabiner through the jaw. You can sharpen the tip to penetrate the skin better. On the big fish its hard to get all the way to the gills, so its easier to just punch through the jaw skin. Hold the fish outside of the boat after he is carabinered. Or else you will drop it and he says bye bye. Cut the fishes neck or gills outside of the boat and let them bleed out for 5 minutes or so. Then ice.

Ps dont forget to make sure you dont have a fish hanging before making a run. He will he gone.
    post edited by eyedreamn - 2013/02/19 20:06:19
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 17:53:36 (permalink)
    Just like steelhead...I gill fluck em with a multitool.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Do you kill keeper walleyes before removing from net? 2013/02/19 19:45:07 (permalink)
    Cut them, gill'um then ice'um. All fish will be better that way, especially in warm weather. It's no wonder a lot of people say Steelhead aren't good. You see people dragging dead, discolored fish around with them all day and then they expect them to be good. Better off just feeding them to the coons and oppossum. Same holds true with the handling of deer, rabbits, birds, etc. Kill'um and chill'um! Don't let them soak in water even if it is cold.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: