Taking a break.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/10 22:35:15 (permalink)
william h

Craig, I'm sure you are still reading these boards daily, just not posting.
Why not delete this silly thread and come back, few days cooling off and you should be just fine.
Bill h

Maybe because of people like you making assumptions, calling his honest thoughts 'silly', and patronizing him?

@CBeagler: check out the Outlaw group.  Much better than this circus.
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/10 22:37:19 (permalink)
Jerry S
Not just the newcomers. I have refrained from posting for entirely different reasons. Most of the post traffic on FishErie comes from a relatively small group of veteran posters that represent a small percentage of the total membership. Not all, but many of this group have the attitude that this is "their" forum, and they have earned the right to belittle someone who they believe has less fishing skills.

I hear what you're saying here, JerryS, and I understand your interpretation.  Here's why they look like a clique: The veterans know each other.  They fish together.  They organize and participate in the outings.  They have a familiarity with one another that becomes evident after reading but a handful of posts, and they are the core of the site.  Do they own it?  No.  Do they rule it?  No.  Do they contribute information?  You bet your life on it.

It's like being the new kid in school.  You don't know anyone, and they don't know you.  However, if you ask them how to get to the cafeteria, they'll tell you.  Introduce yourself and maybe they'll even let you sit with them and introduce you to a couple of other kids.  But you don't show up on the first day of school and expect someone to share their lunch with you or carry your books while you find your classrooms.

And that's the biggest problem, IMHO.  People are logging on expecting instant gratification.  And when they don't get it, they throw temper tantrums.  These forums are not a guide service to the Erie Trib system (or any waterway for that matter). They are a means to share information, ideas, and experiences.  There is a lot of information on these boards if you use the search function and do a little research. And a lot of the veterans who established this site are responsible for contributing to that knowledge base. But the answer to "Where can I go to catch fish?" is NOT knowledge. It's circumventing the work that goes along with the experience.

There was a time when these boards were not only fun, but inspiring.  DT would throw up an awesome post and relate a good story of a day on stream (which, if you read carefully, was also chock ful of technical advice).  Bings, PB, and Glen would post pics of their adventures as well and they were appreciated and respected for what they were: guys who were going out, doing the work, enjoying what God gave them, and sharing their experiences.  "Great post; thanks for sharing" was the common response.

It's a common sentiment: the boards are not the same.  I cannot even say that people are logging on to share and contribute, but to panhandle for spare change and cast aspersions.  Today, if someone doesn't agree with you, they flame your posts.  If you don't throw an easy one down the middle, they charge the mound.  So the "feel good" posts and their authors don't come around.  The site becomes another "remember when..."

And that veteran core that made the boards what they were?  They'll still be fishing together, sharing what they've learned, laughing a little, poking fun at each other, drinking cherry juice, grilling out, and having fun.  Bet on it.

Oh, and Cold will still be The Man.

post edited by mohawksyd - 2013/02/10 22:39:55

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/10 23:24:14 (permalink)
Well said..

bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 09:21:00 (permalink)
Geesh, first Beags and now this...

http://worldnews.nbcnews....b-28-vatican-says?lite

"and There is NO OUTLAW FORUM. just YOU guys messing around with the administration of this site."

That's funny...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 09:41:11 (permalink)
First rule of the Outlaw Forum......

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
bulldog1
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 09:43:35 (permalink)
What Outlaw forum...

bulldog1
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 09:47:57 (permalink)
But.... There's a logo and everything, it must be real...

Cold
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 09:59:55 (permalink)
Its very childish in general for a adult to throw a fit because a forum doesn't go your way. Just leave and don't say anything.

So why are you still here? 

Just askin'

Afterall, the smartmouths and tough guys would never show themselves in person

Really?  That's interesting...considering that I've shaken the hands of most of the people you're calling out...but never once met you.  Seriously, brah, you'd be surprised.  There's guys on here that I've gone back and forth with on a political thread for days on end that come summertime, I'll meet them on the water and have an awesome day of fishing, no problem.  

That's the big difference you're not seeing.  Sure, we go back and forth, but it's because we have a friendship that extends beyond this site...

...but not to any other site. No sir.  If it's not on this specific URL, the only time we communicate is in person, on the water.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 11:16:06 (permalink)
bulldog1

Geesh, first Beags and now this...

http://worldnews.nbcnews....b-28-vatican-says?lite

"and There is NO OUTLAW FORUM. just YOU guys messing around with the administration of this site."

That's funny...

Posts like this are what keep me coming back for more.  A chuckle every so often, a fishing report, beer reviews, sports, current events, ect.  Everyone has an opinion.  Opinions sometimes agree, differ or even change.  Rarely ever has mine ever changed over an insulting response, from this board, at school, at work, at home or anywhere.  Many times it has changed on many subjects here, from logical responses though.  I guess that I have thicker skin, not entrenched in my ways, and just oblivious... As I really don't notice much difference in the boards from 10+ years ago, besides some really entertaining and good folks gone, many of which were kind of insulting at times though...  There are some great new members since then.  There will always be insulting, trolls, or flat out annoying, but always has been that way IMHO.  When I decide to hang it up, it won't likely be from that.  It will be from me wasting too much time on here, that I should be working, hanging out with the family or fishing...
post edited by Porktown - 2013/02/11 11:18:37
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 11:57:21 (permalink)
Eh,

This site has sucked for a long time, I don't blame you.  The old boards were actually fun when people talked about fishing.  Sad to say, but there are some good fisherman here, very very few, but there are some. 
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 13:07:45 (permalink)
werd

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2153
Re:unlimited whining thread 2013/02/11 17:08:53 (permalink)
These Imaginary OUTLAWS are just being babies and want to kick their high-chair. I bet all they talk about is the **** stuff that goes on at camp. They wouldnt know a good forum to post on if it were tied to a cleo and slapped about their face a few times.

BH
Catchabigone
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 509
Re:unlimited whining thread 2013/02/11 17:20:05 (permalink)

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
Ted Nugent

acmaul13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1193
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 18:27:57 (permalink)

and There is NO OUTLAW FORUM. just YOU guys messing around with the administration of this site.
Bill h

Yep you're right there can't be an OUTLAW forum.The last of the OUTLAWS died in the 1920 & 30's.like Capone,Dillinger,Bonnie&Clyde etc.
Just sayin

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 18:52:18 (permalink)
I wanted to be an OUTLAW but my wife wouldn't let me....WF
deetz4352
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3549
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 19:11:08 (permalink)
If I buy a gun can I be an OUTLAW ?

From the sound of it Id better buy one soon ...

The Deetz
Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
acmaul13
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 19:17:37 (permalink)
World Famous

I wanted to be an OUTLAW but my wife wouldn't let me....WF

I'm allowed,but only at certain weekends or days or...
NO sorry forgot no OUTLAWS
Molson
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 19:53:30 (permalink)
You have to be COOL and mis-spell words like all the Cool Dudes on here....
acmaul13
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 19:55:25 (permalink)
iT hELpsA
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 20:11:40 (permalink)
Top Dog...welcome to tha site...  Hopa dis helpa..

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 21:03:43 (permalink)
william h

bulldog1

That's funny...

Why are you posting here? I would be posting on the imaginary "outlaw forum".

Oh.. there is an outlaw forum, you can not see it because it is blocked to people who are not invited by the outlaw leader.  Be jealous.     

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 22:17:27 (permalink)
I was an outlaw before you were born....:)
Welcome OUTLAWS!

bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2559
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/11 22:59:55 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you are hanging it up. Always enjoyed your posts. Too bad so many have left, some for awhile, others seemingly gone for good.   Saddens me to see so many personal attacks and downright meanness that some posters direct to others who participate here. Whatever happened to common decency and politeness, not only here, but it seems to have permeated society in general?
"But far more numerous was the heard of such, who think too little  and who talk too much." John Dryden

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/13 07:57:12 (permalink)
Enjoy the break, Beags
Hope  to see you back

Spoonie Luv from up above said it best

"don't take it personal
don't make it personal"

the beauty of discussion boards is....if it causes  hi blood pressure or other problems .
with the click of bu'un ....*POOF* ...it all goes away

..L.T.A.

JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/13 22:34:32 (permalink)
mohawksyd

I hear what you're saying here, JerryS, and I understand your interpretation.  Here's why they look like a clique: The veterans know each other.  They fish together.  They organize and participate in the outings.  They have a familiarity with one another that becomes evident after reading but a handful of posts, and they are the core of the site.  Do they own it?  No.  Do they rule it?  No.  Do they contribute information?  You bet your life on it.

It's like being the new kid in school.  You don't know anyone, and they don't know you.  However, if you ask them how to get to the cafeteria, they'll tell you.  Introduce yourself and maybe they'll even let you sit with them and introduce you to a couple of other kids.  But you don't show up on the first day of school and expect someone to share their lunch with you or carry your books while you find your classrooms.

And that's the biggest problem, IMHO.  People are logging on expecting instant gratification.  And when they don't get it, they throw temper tantrums.  These forums are not a guide service to the Erie Trib system (or any waterway for that matter). They are a means to share information, ideas, and experiences.  There is a lot of information on these boards if you use the search function and do a little research. And a lot of the veterans who established this site are responsible for contributing to that knowledge base. But the answer to "Where can I go to catch fish?" is NOT knowledge. It's circumventing the work that goes along with the experience.

There was a time when these boards were not only fun, but inspiring.  DT would throw up an awesome post and relate a good story of a day on stream (which, if you read carefully, was also chock ful of technical advice).  Bings, PB, and Glen would post pics of their adventures as well and they were appreciated and respected for what they were: guys who were going out, doing the work, enjoying what God gave them, and sharing their experiences.  "Great post; thanks for sharing" was the common response.

It's a common sentiment: the boards are not the same.  I cannot even say that people are logging on to share and contribute, but to panhandle for spare change and cast aspersions.  Today, if someone doesn't agree with you, they flame your posts.  If you don't throw an easy one down the middle, they charge the mound.  So the "feel good" posts and their authors don't come around.  The site becomes another "remember when..."

And that veteran core that made the boards what they were?  They'll still be fishing together, sharing what they've learned, laughing a little, poking fun at each other, drinking cherry juice, grilling out, and having fun.  Bet on it.

Oh, and Cold will still be The Man.

Mohawk,

Thanks for the explanation, but it wasn't needed since I have been around quite a few years and have seen enough to know my post was pretty accurate.  It is ironic many of the names you praise in your post are good examples of my objections.

You don't have to look very hard to find many posts where DT and Cold have slammed bait fisherman.  And do you recall the abuse Dr. Trout took from Bings?

(I apologize for the personal slams guys)
post edited by JerryS - 2013/02/13 22:36:39
Cold
Pro Angler
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/13 23:11:07 (permalink)
Doc Troot took abouse from anyone and everyone because he invited it.

He was/is hypersensitive, excitable, negative, defensive, and lacked a sense of humor.

You sound like a worm-dunker.

EDIT: Sorry for the personal slam, guy.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/14 06:40:31 (permalink)
From what I see, DT slams the littering hogs that leave garbage strewn around the streams. Most of the garbage is empty bait containers and beer cans tossed from bait fisherman. He cares litle about what one uses for a lure. 90% of my fishing is with bait and I haven't been slammed by either posters you mentioned. The only slamming I see from Cold is for idiots.Most bring it on themselves. ...WF....
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/14 07:47:42 (permalink)
Catch a trout on a chartreuse spinner and see how DT feels.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re:Taking a break. 2013/02/14 18:36:16 (permalink)
Cold

Doc Troot took abouse from anyone and everyone because he invited it.

He was/is hypersensitive, excitable, negative, defensive, and lacked a sense of humor.

You sound like a worm-dunker.

EDIT: Sorry for the personal slam, guy.

I felt sorry for the guy though, since his intentions were good.  Since I realize the images portrayed on an internet forum do not usually reflect the true character of the people posting,  I regret my negative posts on this thread.  I guess I just had a bad day.

By the way, I think the correct term  is  "knuckle dragger" 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: