PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%Less

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
  • Reward points: 0
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/02/12 15:25:41 (permalink)
kush

The majority of PFBC staff are union members. More of your license dollars are going to pay for retirement and healthcare benefits and less for improving fishing. Nice deal.

I agree, it probably has a lot more to do with pensions and healthcare benefits than lost license sales.  They create these pension programs, invest a huge portion of the funds into the stock market and then when the stock market tanks or doesn't perform as expected, we're still on the hook for paying retires close to a full time salary in retirement.  No one in the private sector even comes close to retirement benefits like that and it needs to stop, pensions don't work and there bankrupting governments all across our country right now.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/22 17:53:49 (permalink)
Just announced today that the Oswayo hatchery will not be closed.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/22 20:59:33 (permalink)
Both will stay open until 2015 at least,after that who knows.Frankly I could care less one way or another.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8537
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/22 21:05:49 (permalink)

HARRISBURG, Pa. (March 22) – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) voted at a special public meeting today to keep its Oswayo and Bellefonte hatcheries open for at least two more years while the agency pursues a long-term funding source through the General Assembly.

“Since the board of commissioners voted in January to close the two hatcheries, staff and Commissioners have met with members of the General Assembly to try to identify opportunities to secure long-term funding sources,” said Board President Steve Ketterer. “As a result, we have voted to keep the hatcheries open while we pursue these opportunities.”

Commissioner Glade Squires introduced today’s motion, which reads: “I move that we restore funding for the continued operation of the Oswayo and Bellefonte trout hatcheries until the July 2015 Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission meeting and that we continue to work with senators and representatives to secure funding for the other areas of our budget previously identified to be reduced or eliminated.”

The motion passed by a unanimous vote.

The PFBC announced on Jan. 25 that it would close the Oswayo and Bellefonte hatcheries by the end of 2014 as part of a budget plan to save $9 million annually over the next four years. Approximately $6.7 million is needed in order to meet escalating health-care and retirement obligations for employees, and $2.3 million is needed for infrastructure needs, such as maintenance and repairs, at remaining hatcheries, other facilities and boating access areas. Closing the two hatcheries would save approximately $2 million annually.

“We’re thankful that the General Assembly has recognized the fiscal situation we’re in and have expressed their willingness to help us reach a solution,” said PFBC Executive Director John Arway. “However, it doesn’t eliminate the fact that we must still find $9 million in annual savings or revenue over the next four years.”

The Oswayo State Fish Hatchery is located in Coudersport, Potter County, and Bellefonte is in Centre County. Each has nine employees. The PFBC said at the time of the closure announcement that the hatchery employees would not be furloughed, and would be offered jobs at other facilities.

Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/22 21:52:57 (permalink)
I do care.  My home stream is the Oswayo and its tributaries.  It would be a shame if that hatchery closed.  It's so far out of the way, there's little chance another hatchery could deliver that distance.  There's a local club that gets fingerlings from them and it's not a guarantee another hatchery could pick up their allocation.
flat lander
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/24 10:41:10 (permalink)
I care too. My family has a cabin in Keating Summit and we enjoy the fishing in Potter immensely. I learned how to trout fish in Potter and have caught some memorable fish up there.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3145
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/24 10:43:19 (permalink)
Trout, healthcare and pensions are sinking the PFBC 

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
Re:PFBC to Reduce Operating Costs and Close Oswayo and Bellefonte Hatcheries stocking 22%L 2013/03/24 12:04:53 (permalink)
Anyone care to bet that their long term funding will be to merge with the PGC.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: