Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection...

Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/29 15:02:36 (permalink)

Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection...

If any of you have money to burn, bid on this:

I personally know one of these tyers and Richard Harrington who is a NY based full time painter/artist and steelhead jedi.  His painting is the Steelhead.

Bob White is the man who illustrates all of John Gierach's books.  His painting is the Atlantic Salmon.

AND a custom Meiser Rod.

If I had this kind of money, I'd personally bid the heck out of anyone for it, but I just don't have that kind of cash.  Maybe one of you do have that kind of money?  Or, you may know someone who does.  All the money goes to Casting For Recovery. 

The link seems to not want to include the + sign at teh end, so if it doesn't work, copy the entire string and paste it to get to the auction.  6 days left!  Bid up to $4,200 right now.

https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/B4GItem.action?id=183480018&query.query=217+

Here's the back story of this unique and valuable auction package:

A little over a year ago, a couple members of The Drake Forum who tied classic Atlantic Salmon flies decided to swap a few patterns. The group grew to 8 and it was determined that each tier would designate a special pattern to be professionally mounted and framed in a display to be auctioned to benefit a worthy cause. All flies are tied with authentic materials. As the wife of one of the participants had just lost a battle with cancer, Casting for Recovery was chosen as the beneficiary of the donated display.

Two other forum members, Bob White and Richard Harrington, both nationally known artists, became aware of the project and most generously offered to create original paintings to be a part of the display. A very generous Drake Forum member covered the cost to custom-mount and frame the flies and artwork. The finished product is approximately 24" x 20".

Robert Meiser, who builds beautiful custom salmon and steelhead rods, will custom-build a Highlander Classic S2H13068C-4 to be included with the framed piece. This rod is 13' 6" and designed to throw a line weight in the 6-7-8 window. The winner bidder can arrange design specifics with Bob prior to the rod being built. This is truly a unique opportunity to own a singular display of classic salmon flies, two original works of art, and a spey rod built by a true master.

To commission the artwork, purchase the individual flies, frame and mount the piece, and purchase the custom rod, were it even possible to recreate the project, would cost in excess of $6,000.

4 Replies Related Threads

350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection... 2012/11/29 15:18:03 (permalink)
    Cha Ching

At that price I'm out. But it is pretty and a good cause.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    Re:Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection... 2012/11/29 23:29:52 (permalink)
    Those flies are all out of this world. This is for a great cause I'm with d-nymph on this if I would have hit that stupid power ball last night, this would be on my wall. They are well worth it though
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    Re:Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection... 2012/11/30 04:33:06 (permalink)
    Here's a little better pic of what's offered. CFR is a great organization.

https://m.biddingforgood....369371/items/183480018
    post edited by steely34 - 2012/11/30 10:53:02

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re:Casting For Recovery Auction - One of a kind Salmon fly collection... 2012/12/05 11:54:31 (permalink)
    Last day!

Bidding up to $5,000.
    Jump to: