why is it time to lower limits??

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
LipRippa97
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:24:47 (permalink)
@Logan I clearly stated that my hat is off to a true crafty fly fishermen who is good enough to manipulate a bite even wen the fish are not interested. If u actually read my post it clearly states that. I also have been pretty engaged in slot of the most recent threads and have stated time in time out that my brand of fishing, spinning causes me to look for deeper water and pools to have true success with my panther martins and spoons. Lower weighted spinners can work in low, clear conditions but its much harder. So in whole, if u read anything that I have posted on here you would know this and might not try to slander me for using spinners and spoons in low rocky water. I appreciate your judgement And arrogance though. You truly are better than me and I admire your abilities. You are the coolest cat in the stream.
post edited by Chriswalker97 - 2012/11/27 14:26:38

A bad day fishing is better than a good of anything.

I don't always exercise my shoulders...but when I do I fish for steelhead....
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:29:37 (permalink)
Good thing I got my waders on some of these fishing stories are real deep! All this crying and the creeks are still low !
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:39:03 (permalink)
Chris, you are quite welcome and I appreciate your admiration

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 14:55:07 (permalink)
LoganWade03

Chris, you are quite welcome and I appreciate your admiration

LipRippa97
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 15:21:34 (permalink)
Your quite welcome...now lets catch these despite conditions and outfit...contrary to popular belief, this is still possible....

A bad day fishing is better than a good of anything.

I don't always exercise my shoulders...but when I do I fish for steelhead....
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 15:29:37 (permalink)
Isnt it quite common for fly guys to sling bait and vice versa. I personally throw a lot of flys through out the season and I'm a spin guy. I do own a fly rod, just not that comfy with it yet.

You could say I'm bi-poler......hahahha...jeez I crack myself up!!!!!!! 
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 15:44:41 (permalink)
Mike, & Loomis

The limit for Steelhead IS the same as that for "pelletheads".
5 from the 1st day of regular trout season, and 3 after the 1st saturday in Septmber.

William,

They don't need to do an in depth study to learn what they already know. Harvest rates of adult fish in the streams, have nothing to do with recruitment rates of juveniles stocked 2 years prior. Variations up, or down in the size of "the runs" are all about recruitment rates.

If you want more fish 2 years from now. You need to either stock more, or. Close the tribs to fishing once the smolt are stocked. Start illegally whacking Bule Herons. Get out this summer, kill & eat more Walleye. Build some type of barrier on the Candaian line. The only limit change that MIGHT have an impact, would be to make it 3 year round on the lake. Even that though, probabely wouldn't make a noticable difference.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 15:56:52 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

All this crying and the creeks are still low !

ee-yeabutt...is it  "worth it"   to fish?
inquiring minds want 2 no

anyone remember that little wound up duud named   Karl "Moses" Waxelman?
(sorry Karl if i destroyed your last name)

remember when he'd yell down at the circus on the Da 'Nut
"let 'em go!!"

That's when i named him "Moses" ...cause I had this image of Moses telling Pharaoh "let my people go"
Karl's waxed Patagonia jacket for his robe, and flyrod as his staff , yelling from "on high" (the parking lot above the Da'Nut)
"let my fish go!!"

BTW, this was during the hay day banner run  years of late '90s/early '00s
and they were STILL hollerin' C&R

and the beat goes on....

..L.T.A.
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 16:13:58 (permalink)
gymi03

I personally throw a lot of flys through out the season and I'm a spin guy.

I did that for years,  Gym
I also took several types of baits along with my boxes of different flies and yarn .
There were days when flies out produced bait and visa-versa...it ran about 50-50

I do own a fly rod, just not that comfy with it yet.

I didn't get comfortable with mine til the second season (but i already had confidence in flies due to already catching hundreds ) so that helped .
Then i learned new presentation  techniques and discovered I could do more things with a flyrod/flyline than i could with spin and mono

It's all good, but now 97.38% of my steelie fishing is done with flyrod...cause i can do more with it

..l.T.A.
Cold
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 16:22:38 (permalink)
genieman77

CAPTAIN HOOK

All this crying and the creeks are still low !

ee-yeabutt...is it  "worth it"   to fish?
inquiring minds want 2 no

anyone remember that little wound up duud named   Karl "Moses" Waxelman?
(sorry Karl if i destroyed your last name)

remember when he'd yell down at the circus on the Da 'Nut
"let 'em go!!"

That's when i named him "Moses" ...cause I had this image of Moses telling Pharaoh "let my people go"
Karl's waxed Patagonia jacket for his robe, and flyrod as his staff , yelling from "on high" (the parking lot above the Da'Nut)
"let my fish go!!"

BTW, this was during the hay day banner run  years of late '90s/early '00s
and they were STILL hollerin' C&R

and the beat goes on....

..L.T.A.

Nice.

He should've used his staff to part the waters of the stop sign hole.
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 16:36:51 (permalink)
Cold

He should've used his staff to part the waters of the stop sign hole.

oooh.....bad idea ... Da Burgh'rs would  of ran up the hill and pounded  the chit of him for messing up their drift

..L.T.A.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 18:48:37 (permalink)
mike55

LOL, "big piece of yarn under a float" 

And you wonder why they were not catching a lot?
Im sure your 10 fish day had you all excited.

I fly fish and we absolutely pound them. Come along on a trip with us. We will show you how to catch fish.... as well as release them.

Fishinguy... I agree with your comment 100 percent, but I assure you the ones that do know what they are doing can have hook ups every drift for the entire day. We have had many 100 fish days between 4 or so of us.

Not really worth keeping one when your pounding fish like that. The excitement of fishing takes over and you forget about your own needs.  Maybe this is the problem for some of you. You can only catch so many fish putting 3 minnows on a treble hook. Im sure each Minnow is for each fish your going to keep. Why not get it done right off the bat? You know.. You need 3 hooks all barbed to land a fish these days.

LOL LoganWade.. Throwing panther martins at spoons in Erie trickles...south mouth pro!

Love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWRaAF6_WY

post edited by Stillhead - 2012/11/27 18:51:16
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 18:57:48 (permalink)
^^^^^ 
Stillhead
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 19:00:43 (permalink)
I once caught a smallmouth in Neshannock creek with a spit n' imgae on an 8'6" 3wt fly rod. I had a spin rod with me, I just wanted to look cool with a flea pole!!!

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 19:00:52 (permalink)
SteelSlayer77

No doubt, nothing like walking up to a fly fisherman elitest/purist using a piece of yarn under a big float...

No doubt.
 I'm not putting down fly fishing on the Erie tribs but floating yarn or flies with split shot and under a bobber is hardly fly fishing.
In fact, it's a lot closer to bait fishing. I find it amusing that so many think they are actually fly fishing for steelhead in these tribs.
I have no problem with the way anyone wants to fish. But face it, what y'all do 90% of the time is not fly fishing.
Get rid of the splitshot. Get rid of the bobber. Get rid of the yarn. Give fly fishing a try.
Most of the fly guys I see on the tribs would be better served with a spinning rod. It's a more versatile and better tool for drifting bobbers, bottom bouncing split shot and chucking jigs. You'll catch more fish and tail hook less.

LoganWade03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 19:08:37 (permalink)
Stillhead

I once caught a smallmouth in Neshannock creek with a spit n' imgae on an 8'6" 3wt fly rod. I had a spin rod with me, I just wanted to look cool with a flea pole!!!

That post was so cool you had to post it twice in 2 different threads...I'm still laughing from the first time I read it

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
Stillhead
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 19:16:37 (permalink)
Yeah, I messed up. I tried to post is once, thought it didn't post, so I posted again. Then realized I clicked on the wrong thread and actually posted twice. I really did do  that. Didn't have a spin rod with me, that part was a lie. Had the lure in my trout vest for some strange reason and stumbled upon a bunch of nice smallmouth.  I figured the lure was a bit much for the rod, so I tied on about a 20 foot leader and threw the lure out with my hand, then retrieved. Had lots of bites, the hookset didn't go so well though, did catch one!
post edited by Stillhead - 2012/11/27 19:17:46
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 19:43:40 (permalink)
Seems I remember "someone" trolling a bugger ( successfully ) with a fly rod.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
kayak99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 21:11:49 (permalink)
genieman77

Our friend Bill said this;

william h

Well, 2000 come in, 2001 get roped.
No offense to the original poster, this is the reality of Eries fishery.
Lower the limit for the everyones enjoyment. Its time.

BTW, I don't think Bill's a troll like some of you think he is
i think he's honest and genuine

I disagree genieman77.  With the exception of threads designed for varied opinions, anytime someone jump into anothers thread with the specific purpose of broadcasting their own philosophy, contrary to the thread subject, a troll is constituted.  This forum allows these types of comments, some do not.  william h should start his own limits thread and stop trolling others!

Carry on!  :)
Cold
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 22:32:32 (permalink)
With the exception of threads designed for varied opinions, anytime someone jump into anothers thread with the specific purpose of broadcasting their own philosophy, contrary to the thread subject, a troll is constituted.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but the rest of the internet disagrees with you.  Just sayin'
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 22:51:08 (permalink)
Stillhead  I had a spin rod with me, I just wanted to look cool with a flea pole!!!

ummm...I got news for you Big Boy....
aah,  never mind

..l.T.A.
genieman77
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/27 23:00:47 (permalink)
Stillhead

I once caught a smallmouth in Neshannock creek

speaking of tandem rigs...

My bud caught a steelie AND  Smallie on Connie years ago in the Spring...reeled 'em BOTH in and landed ...fo-reel
(yes William, BOTH hooks were INSIDE the mouth of both fish)

he was using a spinning rOd ...and a bObbEr

..l.T.A.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/28 06:04:44 (permalink)
genieman77

Stillhead  I had a spin rod with me, I just wanted to look cool with a flea pole!!!

aah,  never mind

..l.T.A.

I know, you can say it.Go ahead. It doesn't matter what I'm fishing with, ya'll still wanna be me :-)
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/28 10:41:47 (permalink)
mike55

You do realize that these fish are pretty special right. There are two places on our side of the country you can steelhead fish and erie happens to be one of them. Maybe thats why people come from all over to do it..Ask eries economy you talk about how important these fish are. The more fish the more people that will come to fish them. Tons of fish still but apparently there are not as many as there used to be and thats all people complain about on these boards. I cant tell you how many times I have seen "fishing is not what it used to be, im not coming back" Seriously.... Tons of fish still. We smack em everytime we go up. We also put them back for another day. I agree its not just for me. Its for you two. So keep your one fish, and be happy you greedy "Fisherman"

There's a few more than two places. 
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/28 10:44:29 (permalink)
Stillhead

genieman77

aah,  never mind

..l.T.A.

I know, you can say it.Go ahead. It doesn't matter what I'm fishing with, ya'll still wanna be me :-)

Genieman is an open book, stillhead.

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re:why is it time to lower limits?? 2012/11/28 12:09:21 (permalink)
mike55

LOL, "big piece of yarn under a float" 

And you wonder why they were not catching a lot?
Im sure your 10 fish day had you all excited.

I fly fish and we absolutely pound them. Come along on a trip with us. We will show you how to catch fish.... as well as release them.

Fishinguy... I agree with your comment 100 percent, but I assure you the ones that do know what they are doing can have hook ups every drift for the entire day. We have had many 100 fish days between 4 or so of us.

Not really worth keeping one when your pounding fish like that. The excitement of fishing takes over and you forget about your own needs.  Maybe this is the problem for some of you. You can only catch so many fish putting 3 minnows on a treble hook. Im sure each Minnow is for each fish your going to keep. Why not get it done right off the bat? You know.. You need 3 hooks all barbed to land a fish these days.

LOL LoganWade.. Throwing panther martins at spoons in Erie trickles...south mouth pro!

Love it.

100 fish days among  4 of you.   BFD      Not lately though, I bet.  BTW, second word of BFD rhymes with truckin.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: