LockedSouth Zone Second Split

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/16 11:50:42 (permalink)

South Zone Second Split

Didn't get out at all in the early split.  Had a few hours to get out this morning to a little puddle near home that just started holding water after Hurricane Sandy blew through.    Last year it was loaded with mallards early with the wet fall we had.  I wasn't expecting a ton, but had some good looks.

Bad shooting on easy birds with feet down dropping into the decoys at 15-20 yards.  A lab that I didn't do enough OB work with in the off season that cost me a couple shots at easy ducks. 

But did manage one flying straight in my face.  Hank had fun making his first retrieve of the year though - he had to go a whopping 5 yards for it.  Shoulda had a limit of mallards before 7 Am

Beautiful morning on the marsh though. 

Anybody else get out yet this week?

4 Replies Related Threads

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:South Zone Second Split 2012/11/16 12:55:39 (permalink)
    AHHH, I remember those days from my dog for sure.   Hard to control and teach a young lab under the pressure of decoying birds.  But it gets better, trust me.  I always said I wish I put my labs head when he was 6  in him when he was two years old.  I just put him down at 11 years old  a couple weeks ago.  I lost not only my hunting bud, but many avenues for duckin.
    Pro Angler
    Re:South Zone Second Split 2012/11/16 13:26:20 (permalink)
    Man, that sucks Hummer.  Duck hunting wouldn't be the same without him. 

Problem is, he's 7.  He should be over that stuff by now.  Biggest problem is that he breaks at the shot sometimes, which is not only frustrating but potentially dangerous.  He did it today, on a pair that came gliding in.  Whiffed on the first one, but they landed anyway!  Problem was, he was already halfway there - it's a shallow marsh so he can run through most of it. 

It's my fault though for not keeping up on drills like I should be.  Hate to do it, but in the meantime I'll have to resort to tying him up to a tree.  

Got your PM by the way.  Sounds great, and appreciate the offer!  I'll let you know when I'm headed that way. 
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re:South Zone Second Split 2012/11/18 20:41:55 (permalink)
    My buddies got out again in the north zone I was bear hunting but heres a pic of their day. Couple black ducks and Mallards breaking ice already!!!

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Pro Angler
    Re:South Zone Second Split 2012/11/22 11:04:56 (permalink)
    Little better all around this morning - pretty straight shootin and much better dog work.  And to top it all off, the second banded bird I've ever shot. Love the online reporting - within a matter of minutes of getting home, found out this hen was banded in Erie as a duckling in August 2011.  She made a 120 mile trip at some point in her life to get to where I was this morning. 

post edited by rsquared - 2012/11/22 11:07:01
    Jump to: