green weenie

Author
blacknosedace
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/11 11:17:17 (permalink)

green weenie

a friend of mine had told me that this fly is huge on the little juniata. is there any truth to that? do you catch mostly browns with it? i have tried it and have yet to pick up anything while using it .. any input and i would be greatful

9 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 13:08:34 (permalink)
    Yes they work, and the reason is simple, grannom caddis have that stream so covered you can barely drift a nymph without hooking cases.

Drop your size, maybe to say about an 18. J fish are pretty picky, they have been fooled more then once. Id be willing to bet the problem lies in your technique or setup rather then the fly itself, if your not fishing one too big.

I cant tell you how many times Ive heard guys say they fish size 12 sowbugs and how they get skunked on them also. Ive pumped a fishes stomache(its not somthing i do on a regular basis) and while the size 12s were in there, 90% of everything else was size 20 or smaller. Ive seen fish refuse a 20 and take a 24, size matters in flies.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 13:09:22 (permalink)
    Size and color are very very important.  I tie on size 14 and 16 hooks.  Gold bead.  No tail!!!!  Smallest chartreuse chenille you can find .. a 1/16 of an inch in diameter.  It may not even be chenille that I use, it's small I know that.  I like more of a green than a yellow in my chartreuse for weenies.  Fish under the trees.

I'll take some pictures of some once they start falling.

All fish will take them, even suckers.  Where's the suck guide???  Since browns are the dominate fish in the J, expect to catch 95% browns.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 13:58:24 (permalink)
    hes got a new job, hes super busy.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 15:57:02 (permalink)
    I've finally recieved a laptop from my company, so i'll be able to be on here more often.

I have been super busy. To let you know how busy: I am staying in a hotel about 1 mile from tulpehocken creek. I've been here for 2 weeks and havent even fished once. Once I finish up here, i'll be back. Actually, i'll be home this weekend and wont work again until next thursday. Hopefully, the grannoms will hatching on the Lil J.

If anyone wants to fish the J next week, let me know.

The green weenie is a great fly. I fish them on the J year round, usually in size 14 and 16. More often than not this time of year I fish a flashback pt with a green weenie about 8 inches below it.

tite lines

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 17:48:25 (permalink)
    drake .. you down there sucker guiding?

You must be busy .. cause after tonights rain, the only thing you'll be catchin on the J is a wave.  Sucks..

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 19:47:13 (permalink)
    If was under 400 this morning, but that will go away soon.  No Grannoms yet anyway.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/11 20:12:54 (permalink)
    Shawn --

Have you stopped down on the lower river at all?  I was thinking about it today .. but what's the point.

blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/12 07:49:10 (permalink)
    jlh42581,

thanks for your input...when i said i have tried it .i meant on a different stream. lol.... but i was asking cause i plan on making a trip up there one of these weekends and want to tie some patterns up...

and yeah i believe that size matters even with streamers..i would fish little m. and i would be doing pretty good and my buddy wouldnt be catching anything... and it all was cause his fly(same pattern) was to big...we changed to the smaller pattern and bang he was hitting them hard!!

thanks for the input fellas. i will tie a few weenies up and try them up there.. when i make the trip up that is
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: green weenie 2007/04/12 19:34:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Shawn --

Have you stopped down on the lower river at all?  I was thinking about it today .. but what's the point.

Jon,
    No I haven't yet.  With the water the way it is, I couldn't bring myself to find lots of bugs and unfishable conditons.  If we get the weather that is forecast, I very much doubt that it is fishable before near next weekend.  By then, there will be Grannoms no matter what.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    Jump to: