Just so ya know 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

7 Replies Related Threads

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 14:19:47 (permalink)
    The report page is always good for a laugh

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 15:03:29 (permalink)
    they all spawned in August, I hear....

truth is though, there  will be a lot more disappointment when the water clears  enough to count fish from top to bottom  .
    a huge run isn't going to magically appear in the creeks

the majority of fish are in by Nov....that's right now, boyd and girls

more will come...as sure as the sun comes up...but the "numbers" you see (on Elk at least) will remain about the same .
    cause remember, even though more are coming in, just as many and  more are getting picked off and taken out
    (or in the throws of death from being over played  12 times in a month)

trUstmE

..L.T.A.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 15:48:07 (permalink)
    FACT:  I've witnessed the number of fish in upper Elk increase dramatically between the last week of October and the third week of November in some but not all years past.  As of this post we are in the last week of October, Just Sayin! 

OPINION: You can't compare the timing of runs back in the "glory" coho years, with today's Steelhead only runs.  It's certainly possible that the first major run of this fall is yet to even occur based on reports from the lake and temps this past summer.
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/10/28 16:03:12
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 16:29:07 (permalink)
    Steelslayer-In order for your post to be valid u have to include at least 5 FACTS 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 18:45:39 (permalink)
    SteelSlayer77

FACT:  I've witnessed the number of fish in upper Elk increase dramatically between the last week of October and the third week of November in some but not all years past.  As of this post we are in the last week of October, Just Sayin! 

I know you know fish move up when water level allows
    Quite possible that's what you observed

By late Nov there's also a shift of anglers from down low to the upper sections .
    Know why?...cause that's where the majority of fish went 

You have to count fish in the whole system the same day ..lower, mid and upper  to get a good count
    Otherwise many will think a boat load of fish came in...when in reality it was just movement from one place to another

count fish in Elk (top to bottom)  after the water clears enough
    and share your facts with us...YOU'RE TRUSTWORTHY I'll certainly believe you anyway

..L.T.A.

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 21:20:51 (permalink)

FACT 2:  During extended periods of high water It's possible for large numbers of Steelhead to go straight to the upper areas of Elk without ever being seen in the lower or middle areas during low clear water.

FACT 3:  I can remember huge runs of fresh fish flooding into the mouth of both Elk and Walnut one year over a 3 day trip in the 2'nd week of November.  It was my first experience fishing over ridiculous numbers in Erie.

FACT 4:  I walk lower, middle, and upper sections of Elk creek on every Steelhead trip I take between the middle of October to middle of November, specifically to get a sense of the numbers of fish spread thought different sections of the creek.

FACT 5:  The avg catch rate of Steelhead per angler/hour in Erie, is still higher than anywhere else in the entire great lakes tributary system.

There are my 5 FACTS, hope I have made a valid point!     In reality after the hottest summer in over a century, it's more likely that the run is just beginning! 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    Re:The run is over 2012/10/28 22:22:50 (permalink)

FACT 4:  I walk lower, middle, and upper sections of Elk creek on every Steelhead trip I take between the middle of October to middle of November, specifically to get a sense of the numbers of fish spread thought different sections of the creek.
    `

good
    then you know what's there now
    lemmie know what you see in three or 4  weeks

..l.T.A.
    Jump to: