keepin chrome fresh

Author
CU@theriver
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/25 15:27:06 (permalink)

keepin chrome fresh

What is the best way to keep steelhead fresh when wading the streams?
I see guys dragging fish for hours, and they look discolored and gross (see East End Angler photos).
On occasion I have been lucky to catch a limit in one pool and keep them in the water until i was ready to leave. Also in the winter time they freeze on the bank in 20 mins. Both of these seem to keep the flesh in good condition.
But lets face it, in november under crowded conditions these might not be options..

So I'm asking what ways do you keep fish fresh for consumption if you have to walk far for fish?
Bleed em? Or hope you catch a few right before you leave for the day?

Steelhead are finicky and sometimes you catch a few early and then get blanked for hours.
Seeing the way some people drag dead fish for hours, makes me not want to trade for smoked fish at the bait shops.

I'm expecting 189 views, 17 replies, and maybe one real answer.
haha.

19 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 15:36:20 (permalink)
    Bleed them immediately and get them on ice. It's a pain, but that's what you have to do if you want the fish to be as fresh as possible. I eat a lot of steelhead and if it is treated properly, it is really very good eating.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 15:38:32 (permalink)
    What is the best way to keep steelhead fresh when wading the streams?

Don't catch them.

So I'm asking what ways do you keep fish fresh for consumption if you have to walk far for fish? 
    Bleed em? Or hope you catch a few right before you leave for the day?

This.

I don't keep any unless I: 1) know I'm trading, 2) catch a fresh one within a few hours of the time I plan to leave.

Either way, as soon as I rope it, I tear one of the gills completely out (usually with a knife, though a finger can do the same job).  If I'm getting it filleted, I think it keeps the meat nicer, but even if I'm just trading it in, I think it's more humane to kill the fish quickly rather than letting it flop around for hours, barely alive.  Popping the gill will bleed the fish out quickly and it will be dead within a few short minutes.

For me, even though it's a put & take fishery, it doesn't mean that I dont or shouldn't respect the animal, and for me, a quick kill is one way I do that.  If someone else chooses not to, that's fine, and I may or may not judge them for it, but ultimately, for me, that quick, sure killing is just the best thing to do in the situation.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 15:43:52 (permalink)
    Like Cold says, wait until about the time you are going to leave and bleed it while it is still floppin...WF...And give it to someone else to eat
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 15:49:05 (permalink)
    If you need recipes, PM me.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 16:35:53 (permalink)
    If you like salmon, but not steelhead, you're either letting them get nasty or not preparing them right. 

Or its a psychological thing. 
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 16:46:00 (permalink)
    grab its tail and smash its head on a sharp shale ledge then rip the gills out, no need to impale it on a stringer and drag it around.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 16:53:48 (permalink)
    Somebody had to

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 17:18:34 (permalink)
    Dont like salmon. Took me 35 years to get a way to at least make them palatable. Eat one every year though as a warning to the other steelheads.......WF
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/25 18:58:30 (permalink)
    I usually keep 2 or 3 a year for myself and 2 or 3 for other people who don't fish, usually no more than 1 a trip.  These Steelheads can be really good if processed and cooked right.

I always kill and bleed only a fresh looking fish right after being caught, leave right away and get them filleted and on ice within 1 hour of being caught no matter how good fishing is.  If I'm on a multiple day trip, usually won't even consider keeping 1 till the last day.  If I do keep one and it's not the day I'm going home, I take it to a bait shop to keep in their freezer for a day or two.   As soon as I get home I always either vacuum seal and freeze for the smoker, or prepare them within 24hrs of being caught and filleted.

Steelhead and Salmon have more fish oil in them than almost any other fish, which is why they get fishy or strong tasting quick.  The high fish oil content is also why they smoke so well though too.  I believe that using them within 24hrs of being caught makes a dramatic difference in taste, compared to keeping them on ice or in the fridge for 2 - 3 days before using.

If you process a fresh one immediately and prepare them as soon as possible, it's really good stuff no fishy smell or taste at all.  Over the last two years I have experimented with cooking and grilling them more than smoking and didn't even smoke any last year.  Here are two of my favorite ways to grill and cook them in a pan:

Grill them on a soaked cedar plank over charcoal using a liberal amount of your favorite dry rub before hand. 

In the pan; Look up a basic beer batter recipe and make it a little thick while using your favorite beer, squeeze some fresh citrus on the fish and after a few minutes dip in the beer batter and right into a pan with really hot olive oil.  A little tarter sauce with some kind of potatoes and a beer, your good to go.
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/10/25 19:05:27
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 08:25:04 (permalink)
    tie it to a rope and drag it up and down the creek bank for about 6 hours.
    then trade it in for a smoked one and let some other fool eat it.
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 08:33:41 (permalink)
    I don't drag one around with me all day...I will keep one torwards the end of my day if I plan to take a fish home.  Cut the gills both sides immediately while the fish is still lively and let it bleed out into the stream.  This will pump most of the blood out from the meat.  You'll be surprised at how clean the meat comes out when you do this...Makes a huge difference.

If you plan on grilling or baking, do it within a few days and do not freeze it....If you smoke the fish, it really doesn't matter.  Good Luck!
    post edited by CroatianSensation - 2012/10/26 08:34:50
    PONDBEARSHWILLY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 12:30:45 (permalink)
    I have not found a good recipe for steelhead.The only way I will eat one is smoked.I have tried 8 recipes and all taste like chit! Anyone have a good recipe?
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 13:19:40 (permalink)
    Bleed the fish immediately after landing it. Put it on ice and head home. Take the fillets off, but leave the skin on. You can remove all of the bones while leaving the skin on. Preheat your grill to 350 degrees. Flavor with lemon pepper, sea salt & garlic, (both are McCormick grinding mills) and them brush Wishbone Italian dressing over the fillet. Place the fillet (skin down) on the grill. Close the lid. Cook until done. Do not flip. Keep the grill at a constant 350.

OR

Keep a small one, less than 24". Gut it and cut the head off (bleed it first) Wash as much slime as you can off of the skin. With a very sharp knife, make verticle slits (from the fish's back to belly) every 2 inches on both sides. Chop up some onion. I perfer Sweet Vidalia onions. Place them in the abdominal cavity. You don't need to fill it up, just put in appx 1/4 cup. Add 2-3 tabs of butter to the onions. Place the fish on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Apply your favorite seasonings to both sides of the fish. Be sure to rub it into the slits that you made. Seal the fish in the aluminum so as to make an envelope. Place the fish on a preheated grill (350) and cook until done. It will take a while. I'd say 30-45 min. If in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 13:22:14 (permalink)
    I have three...Come to the centerpin outing and I'll make a believer outta ya!
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 13:23:36 (permalink)
    slab, on the second method you forgot to add, "throw away the fish, eat the foil." 

In all seriousness, I appreciate the info offered here.  I tried steelhead once about 10 years ago and hated it.  But then again, I left in on a stringer for a few hours and didn't bleed it immediately.  Might just try it again this year. 
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 13:44:46 (permalink)
    If you do it the way I'm telling you, the meat gets really dry and flaky. It's pretty good. The second method is cool, because when you open the foil, the skin sticks to it, exposing the meat. Then you can just remove the meat from the bone with a fork. I've never had fried steelhead that was good. It must be grilled or baked.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 13:48:06 (permalink)
    So what yer all saying is that steelhead is good as long as you kill the flavor of it?
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/26 16:11:14 (permalink)
    rsquared
    In all seriousness, I appreciate the info offered here.  I tried steelhead once about 10 years ago and hated it.  But then again, I left in on a stringer for a few hours and didn't bleed it immediately.  Might just try it again this year. 

Bleed it, fillet it, and get it on ice within an hour or so of being caught.  Then cook it within 24hrs of being caught and you won't be disappointed.  If you wait even a couple days to cook it , then it will be strong or fishy tasting because of the high fish oil content.
    beckteck
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:keepin chrome fresh 2012/10/27 11:14:34 (permalink)
    The only thing i do different is when i get home i soak it in buttermilk over night it takes the fishy taste out. Then egg and bread crumbs and deep fry them they are good that way
    Jump to: