Mysis Shrimp and other patterns

Author
flat lander
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/18 00:54:02 (permalink)

Mysis Shrimp and other patterns

I have had pretty good success in the past using the crystal meth and sucker spawn flies with my spinning gear (I know, I know why not use a fly rod, spin fishing is for newbs etc etc etc)but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the mysis shrimp pattern. I've been doing my yearly pre-trip research and pointless fishing gear purchasing and came across the mysis shrimp. Thanks in advance for your anticipated bashing and the few helpful comments
post edited by flat lander - 2012/10/18 00:55:23

5 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re:Mysis Shrimp and other patterns 2012/10/18 08:15:08 (permalink)
    I've caught fish on them along with other shrimp imitating patterns.

Just stupid fish.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:Mysis Shrimp and other patterns 2012/10/18 08:49:24 (permalink)
    I was on the tribs one day about 10 years ago, and a fellow angler was destroying fish on mysis shrimp.  Just like any day, it happened to be the ticket.  He caught fish or had hook ups on every other drift for at least an hour, while everyone went through everything in their tackle boxes and nothing.  After his clinic, I asked what he was using, and it was a mysis shrimp.  I tried my best to match, but nothing.  I went and bought a few and used multiple times without a sniff...  So, basically, like anything else, if you have it, and they want it, you win.  If not, they may want it tomorrow, ect.  I've had this same thing happen with prince nymphs, bead head nymphs, egg sacks, live minnows, skank, crystal meth, colors of sucker spawn that I didn't have, different sizes of something that I didn't have, and even more rare, I had and noone else did.  Just luck of the draw.  That said, it usually comes down to how it is fished, rather than what you are using.  I amassed about 80 different "steelhead flies" and are times that I'll go through almost all, along with the times that I have a noodle rod with skank, plastic worms, and my fly box, so over 100 offerings...  Take one of the guys that really knows how to properly drift or where to go during what condition and give him 1/4 of the selection, and he'll likely catch 2-3 times as many fish.  But, I'm better looking, so I win.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    Re:Mysis Shrimp and other patterns 2012/10/18 09:32:50 (permalink)
    True dat.

Like Meat says, "It's tha angle of tha dangle". Just sayin'.......

We all carry tons of patterns in too many colors, not to mention that box of true bugs ya got. I like tryin stuff just to see. I feel, IMHO, these fish will eat anything a home water stockie will.....
    flat lander
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Mysis Shrimp and other patterns 2012/10/18 11:15:07 (permalink)
    I hear ya. And I understand there is no magic bait obviously. I just never came across the mysis shrimp before in my travels. I normally float single eggs dipped in pautzke special sauce or shiners, but some days ill tie a fly on when the other offerings are not producing. I will say I hope you locals saved a few fish for me. I'll be there next Wednesday-Saturday.
    Pa_Fly_Guide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Mysis Shrimp and other patterns 2012/10/18 15:38:51 (permalink)
    Interesting topic, i was thinking the same thing the other day...just curious which mysis pattern is y'alls favorite....myself, im fairly partial to the kolanda pattern
    Jump to: