Looking for a new steelhead rod

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/15 16:56:42 (permalink)

Looking for a new steelhead rod

I'm in the process of looking for a new steelhead spinning/noodle rod.  I don't fish for steelhead a lot, and I mainly fly fish, but my previous rod was a 9ft Pinnacle Vertex that I got at one of the bait shops up there for around $20-30 or so.  Just last Saturday after landing a decent fish, I just started pulling out line and the rod broke.  Don't really know how, I mean I just caught a big steelhead on it and then I just put a little bend to it and it snaps.  It wasn't the greatest rod I owned, but it got the job done.  The only thing I didn't really like about it was the "noodliness" but I guess that's why they're called noodle rods lol.  Overall it was an ok rod for all of maybe 15 times I fished with it. 

So I'm looking for decent rod in the 9-10ft range hopefully under $100 if possible.  Suggestions are greatly appreciated..

9 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 18:22:47 (permalink)
    I have 2 cheaper steelhead rods. Ones a 10'6" lt Shakespeare agility bout $60, its very "noodly" but works very well with the 4lb line I use on the tribs. The other is a 9' riversider m power. Bout $40. very cheap option there, and its more of a fast action. I bought it more thinking about throwing spoons w a little heavier line. But I just got it a month ago and haven't steelhead fished w it yet
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 18:29:01 (permalink)
    I've been very, very satisfied with this rod that I got about 5 years ago: http://www.fishusa.com/JB...mond-Noodle-Rod_p.html

I use it a lot for a lot of different types of fishing, not just steelhead. 
    Pafisher4
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 18:44:44 (permalink)
    I have the 9'0" Light Action model of the St. Croix Triumph. I absolutely love it. It works great for chucking spoons and even better in the creeks. It's at the top end of your price range but if I had to buy another rod, I'd go with this one again.

http://www.fishusa.com/St-Croix-Triumph-Salmon-Steelhead-Spinning-Rods_p.html
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 19:18:23 (permalink)
    I have that JBI noodle rod and can't stand it. I bought the pinnacle and love it, I use it for carp fishing in the summer and if I am not fly fishing for steelhead I will use it.  For the money the Pinnacle is a great deal in my book, if you are up there every weekend, then you might want to get something better, but if you only go a few times I would just get another Pinnacle

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 19:37:51 (permalink)
    I have a 10'6" Cortland noodle rod that I absolutely love to fish steelhead with. I have also fished for crappie , perch , bass , and carp with it. Very versatile rod if you use the right reel and line to go with the species of fish your after. I purchased it about 8-9 years ago at $70 or $75, and its been through a lot of fish and still going strong. Cortland has an unconditional lifetime warranty on certain rods , If your willing to pay just a few more bucks to have that.

Ive broken the ceramic insert in the last eye a couple times and all you do is pay $20.00 and shipping both ways and you will have a new one back in less than 8-10 days.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 19:48:52 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I'll look into all of them.  Usually I make it up for steelhead maybe 5 or so times if that every year, so I don't steelhead fish a lot.  I really want to change that this year but gas prices aren't helping. 

I have a shorter St. Croix Triumph and love it, so that may be an option although it is a little on the top of my price range. I'm kinda leaning towards just picking up another Pinnacle since I don't steelhead fish, but I do plan on using this rod for other fish too occasionally so that's something I'll need to think about also. 
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/15 22:17:55 (permalink)
    Berkley Air IM8, solid noodle rod.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Trader Jack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/16 12:30:00 (permalink)
    Fenwick HMX 9'0''  Medium Light.  A little less soft than the St. Croix Triumph rods.  I still use two Triumph fly rods regularly  though. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:Looking for a new steelhead rod 2012/10/16 13:00:42 (permalink)
    I was looking for similar a few years ago, and searching this site, the recomendations then seemed to point towards the Shakespeare Agility for the "best bang for your buck" lower price rod.  I'm sure there are a ton better, but for the price, I am completely satisfied.  I went with the 9', which seems to fit perfectly under the back seat in my truck.  Give Fishusa a call, they can give you some other recommendations or match up a reel if needed.

http://www.fishusa.com/Shakespeare-Agility-IM8-Noodle-Rods_p.html
    Jump to: