Crooked creek

Author
Josh7388
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/30 20:42:45 (permalink)

Crooked creek

How come never hear too much about it? Cuz it's so small or not as many fish? Just curious

13 Replies Related Threads

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/09/30 20:48:05 (permalink)
    Spot Burn!!!!

lol j/k

I tend to go explore the creeks myself and see if they hold fish or not..yeah it burns more gas..but i dont need to broadcast it over the net..i feel its more fun to find em on my own and have a honey hole to go back to
    flyfisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/09/30 21:11:31 (permalink)
    The creek is small and there is alot of brush to deal with. Also if it rains, it is the first to mud up real bad and last to clear. Last time I was there, the mouth was almost blocked off and the first hole was completely filled in with silt. Some fish make it in, but not in numbers like elk, nut. If you have time to explore, check it out...just dont expect a whole lot.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9829
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/01 13:32:24 (permalink)
    I think it doesn't get much mention, since there is very limited access, especially close to the lake.  The creek has about 100 feet at the mouth that is open, then there is a rope off for nursery waters.  The section that is open isn't a pool either, more of a 1'-2' deep stretch (maybe as mentioned about the silt).  Not sure if the one side is even open, there is a posted sign close to the roped off area - which might be for the roped off area, or could be that whole side?  If that is the case, the other side is some sort of steel tube wall, so would be no access.  If it even is legal, there is maybe enough room for 2-3 people to fish.  Maybe if it blows out it would open up more?  To get to the mouth, you need to hike about 1/2 mile along the lake shore line, which is actually kind of nice.  If you are there for a few days, it's worth exploring.  I regret stopping the time that I did, since it took about 3 hours out of the day (only there for the day), that I could have been fishing elsewhere...  Oh yeah, it claimed 2 of my cleos in the lake, for icing on the cake!  Not sure if it gets much deeper than 2'-3', 50-60 yards out.  I didn't even try upstream since I was so mad and was a little muddy too.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/01 16:44:16 (permalink)
    There are several other access points to Crooked besides the mouth, and you don't have to walk so far.  Last year there were a few fish all the way up to the most upper parking area on the map.  However, due to the amount of downed trees and brush in the creek it can be extremely difficult to fish the upper sections.  Some nicer holes are completely inaccessible because of the amount of debris.

In my opinion it's worth checking out if your in the area on a Saturday and your favorite spots on Elk, Walnut, and 20 Mile are all over taken by large crowds, and you just want to get away from it.  Don't expect to see or catch many Steelhead though.  If you fish the upper sections all day and catch one or two, your doing as well as I ever have.   There are also some small stockies in good numbers and some nice scenery.  Fishing live bait for steel in this stream can be a problem because of the stockies.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/01 22:25:20 (permalink)
    SteelSlayer77

In my opinion it's worth checking out if your in the area on a Saturday and your favorite spots on Elk, Walnut, and 20 Mile are all over taken by large crowds, and you just want to get away from it.  Don't expect to see or catch many Steelhead though. 

worth checking out...dont expect to see or catch many steelhead=no thanks!!!  

The one time i was there was lame.  Better water everywhere else IMO.  

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/01 23:34:29 (permalink)
    Yea that's probably true about better water. But I don't hardly ever fish elk or walnut. I started fishing for steel there and was just wondering
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/01 23:39:41 (permalink)
    I'm so use to fishing crooked I dunno if I would know how to go about fishing the bigger waters with more people
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 09:47:56 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    worth checking out...dont expect to see or catch many steelhead=no thanks!!!  
    The one time i was there was lame.  Better water everywhere else IMO.  

I guess it all depends on how many trips you make and what your trying to get out of your fishing experience.  If you only get to take a couple trips a year, or only care about numbers of fish, then yeah probably not worth checking out. 

If you make it up several times a year and like to explore and get away from people, then yes it's certainly worth checking out.  I would choose Crooked over the urban fishing found at the Walnut projects any day. 

Last time I fished Crooked there were horrendous crowds on Elk over Thanksgiving weekend last year.  Caught 2 steel, saw about 5 or 6, and didn't see another person besides my buddy the entire time.  I'll take that over catching a dozen fish while rubbing  shoulders and having guys fish out of my back pocket the entire time.   Just sayin, different strokes for different folks! 
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 10:11:11 (permalink)
    And if you fish it, no you may not stand in non nursery waters and drift your line under the bridge to fish in nursery waters.
    It amazes me how many people I see do that.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 11:38:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, drifting under that bridge is hard, I prefer to just cast right into the nursery water from the bank.  Fish always seem willing to bite there.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 13:39:17 (permalink)
    Nope, aint no fish in there...  Stick to Elk and Walnut.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 18:31:27 (permalink)
    Loomis

Yeah, drifting under that bridge is hard, I prefer to just cast right into the nursery water from the bank.  Fish always seem willing to bite there.

Reminds me years ago when I used to fish Trout Run.  I could never understand why I was the only one catching fish in the creek.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Crooked creek 2012/10/02 18:36:41 (permalink)
    When I was 10 I used to rip em out 2 at a time on a crappie rig at the falls on nightcrawlers.....then sell em to "unlocals".

True Story

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Jump to: