Yakkin' on steel?

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9829
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/28 15:39:01 (permalink)

Yakkin' on steel?

Just curious if any of you yakkers (not yankers) are smacking any steelhead with your paddles, and hanging on for a good ole sleigh ride?  It was one of my fantasies when I first got my yak.  I even bought some stablizer floats from an old board member, who peaks his head into the forums every so often.  But, never made it out on the big pond.  I'm hoping to buck that trend, with some business in town.  Nothing like showing up at a job site with a kayak strapped to your roof...

Anyway, just wondering what forecast to look for, and ones to avoid.  I'm guessing as little of wave action forecast as possible, and winds from the N, so I'm not blown away...  Would Weather Underground be a fairly reliable source?  Can you launch from just about any beach, or is that against any local ordinances?  Looking to join the boats beyond the spoon slingers reach.

I have a wetsuit, pdf and paddle leash.  Anything else youinz would reccomend?  Guessing the techniques are the same, anything to change up?

Being a "business trip", I don't really have much say on when, but could "steer" them toward a date a few days in advance with more ideal conditions than others...

Also wouldn't mind just hearing some reports from the steel yakkers.

12 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/09/28 16:03:00 (permalink)
    Pork , Ive been meaning to do this sometime this past week while off work for vacation but the winds have yet to allow me out there. South winds are your best bet anytime just off shore. As long as its been south for at least 24 hrs. Sometimes when it rough you get residual left over wave action unless its been blowing south for awhile. I plan on just chucking cleos but if I can get close enough to the flow without being hit by the shore guys chucking spoons  Ill use egg sacks under a float.

Im going to try tomorrow evening or Sunday morning. Looks like that may be the best chance to yak out there  calling for 2' or less for sat. and sun. If its not good Ill just hit da cricks.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/09/28 17:33:45 (permalink)
    Porktown - i am in the same boat as you. Got a nice 10ft kayak last fall and took it out around the pgh lakes but always wanted to hit the big pond. Hopefully will this fall.
    As far conditions, Deetz is right on point. Winds from the S are what you need. But even that can be off depending on carry over from previous days. Also, get an anchor if you havent already. You can position yourself just ahead of the shore guys as the floaters sometimes do on T-run.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/09/30 20:39:04 (permalink)
    Don't forget about trolling, too. Good exercise and not too hard to maintain a 2.5 to 3 MPH troll in a yak.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/09/30 23:32:19 (permalink)
    The neighbors cat yakked on the steel hood of my Jeep. Does that count?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 12:59:03 (permalink)
    cbeagler

The neighbors cat yakked on the steel hood of my Jeep. Does that count?

Yes.

Thanks guys for the responses.  The thought of it had me almost trying on Saturday morning...  Although, I woke up at 3AM and figured it was too much work to strap the kayak to the roof.  Good thing, since the lake was starting to churn a bit by about 9AM.  I'll definitely keep the S wind in mind, as I'm guessing the N winds on Saturday is what was causing the chop.  I did score one in the lake, and two out of a lower section of a trib.  Probably would have been a quick wet day if I tried taking the yak out.

I still have a few jobs taking me in the area relatively soon, so might have to give it a shot.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 14:40:58 (permalink)
    Never mind. I thought it read, yankin on steel.....WF..
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 19:29:23 (permalink)
    Pork , I was out there sunday morning. couldnt have asked for better conditions till about 11 ish. I got off the water before it turned and got choppy. I was out there with no neighbors and could cast anywhere I wanted. There were about 10 guys lined up on the shoreline and I was out there all alone. It was nice.

I only managed to hook up 2 times but that was about as many times as all the shore guys put together hooked up.

A few pix of the day

The weapon of choice

The one fish that made it to the net.

Revived and let go

The Deetz
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 19:49:13 (permalink)
    I just grabbed a pole real quick and went out. Went with one pole a net and a box of cleos.   however ........I hear what yer sayin, Im picking up what yer puttin down , Im scoopin what yer poopin, ( I understand )

The Deetz
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 19:59:22 (permalink)
    Nice fish. I spent the day tick proofin my clothes. I'm mad jealous.  2 weeks from now....ull b mad jealous.....trustme.

I got a die ak rak on the tonkA.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/01 20:05:21 (permalink)
    I already am slick , Ill probably be workin'

The Deetz
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/02 09:48:09 (permalink)
    Awesome Deetz -

I should have waited until Sunday...  The weather report had me scared though.

Did that brownie try to pull you to Canada?

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    Re:Yakkin' on steel? 2012/10/02 18:59:32 (permalink)
    No but I think I did a 720 , fish went around , under and behind me a couple times. 

Fun out in open water like that where the fish has all that room to run.

The Deetz
    Jump to: